PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try Sharkmodem on Verizon

larryg-aia
12-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Has anyone had any first hand experience with Sharkmodem by Mobishark, specifically on Verizon?

Larry

Xyxyll
12-05-2007, 07:05 PM
I am also curious about this software. The developing company claims that it can be used to bypass the $15-30 additional cost / month tethering charge that carriers like Verizon charge.

Edit: Link to MobiShark for anyone that has not seen it yet: MobiShark Online Blackberry Store: Shark Modem Application (http://www.mobishark.com/home.htm)

larryg-aia
12-05-2007, 07:14 PM
me too. i probably have to tether 1x a month, if that much, and paying $15 ontop of a $170 bill for something that I'll rarely use just bugs me. The developer says it works, offers a trial, but I rather just find out if anyone has already used it.

amsolo
12-05-2007, 07:27 PM
I am on BES with 8130 at EVDO speed.

I tried SharkModem. It did get me through firewall to my server. The speed was slow though. Like an old dial up connection. The WebServer I was going to is very graphical and loaded slowly. I think I'll just enable tethering when I need it occasionally. It blazes.

larryg-aia
12-05-2007, 07:44 PM
how do you "just enable tethering when I need it occasionally".

Xyxyll
12-05-2007, 07:55 PM
You can call Verizon up anytime to set up the BroadbandAccess service. It'll cost you $15 ($30 if you're using BIS or $45 if you're on the 10MB plan), but you can cancel it before the end of the month. That's what he means by enabling it occasionally.

amsolo: My understanding of the Sharkmodem software was that it still used Verizon's EVDO data connection but just accessed it through a different source. Is this incorrect? What application were you previously tethering for? Business? Personal?

larryg-aia
12-05-2007, 08:28 PM
so how often can you turn it on and off and do they prorate it for the time on? maybe that's then answer then

Xyxyll
12-05-2007, 08:36 PM
When I asked Verizon representatives, they said you could call anytime and it would be added to your plan. In essence, you would have it indefinitely at $15/$30/$45 per month until you cancel it. Verizon lets you change your plan anytime with no fees or fines, so you can simply cancel it after a month.

In my situation (BIS with Unlimited Data), if I plan on using tethering for two or more months, this MobiShark software is very appealing ($45 MobiShark vs. $60+ BroadbandAccess). I would be using it only for vacations and road trips, so download speeds, while EVDO speed would be much-preferred, are not the highest priority.

larryg-aia
12-05-2007, 09:34 PM
except mobishark is only a one time charge. Just surprised no one else has chimed in as a user of this. Noticed another part of your previous post I didn't answer. Previously, using my smasung 730, there were "workarounds" that some people figured out that allowed us to use it as a modem without any software etc. Verizon figured out how to disable that when they came out with the 760. Understand people are now using pdanet, which is probably similar to mobishark including a slower speed. But like you, for the very occasional use, its all I need.