PDA

View Full Version : A few 7250 questions!

Narcisse
12-06-2007, 01:06 AM
First, I want to thank everyone that reads this and helps me. It will be very appreciated, as I am a total newbie at this.

My cellphone recently broke, and I needed quickly a new cell phone. So my buddy gave me a 7250 Blackberry he did not use anymore.

I only want to use the Blackberry as a cell phone and text message. No email, no fancy features for a CEO.

However, I would like to synchronize my data from Outlook 2000 to the Blackberry.

Also, I would like to get help on a few issues.

1- The screen is very dark. I have a hard time seeing on it, and I find it very frustrating to press the power button for backlighting all the time. I went into Options > Screen & keyboard, but there is no option to change the contrast of the screen.

a) If you know how to change the contrast of the screen, that would help a lot.

b) Is there a way that the backlighting can go on instantly as I press any button ? For example, when it is on standby mode, and i simply turn the trackwheel or press the phone button, the backlighting could go on, to allow better vision, especially at night

2- When I got the Blackberry, there was a password on it. So I changed it to a new password. However, I find it very frustrating to have to type a password everytime I want to use the device. I went to Options > security, and when I click the trackwheel on the Password [Enabled] feature, there is no [Change option], which would mean that it is impossible to disable the password.

Do you know how I could disable the password in order to be able to use the device right away when I pick it up. I do not intent to load sensitive information on the device, so I dont need the protection

3- Right now, I am using an old Palm as a PDA. I would now like to use the Blackberry to synchronize Tasks, Memos, Calendar and contacts from Outlook 2000. I have tried using the Destop manager to synchronize using Outlook 2000, I have followed all the steps, configured it the right way, but when I press Synchronize now (making sure that the organizer data box is checked), nothing happens.

Could the cause be a conflict with the Palm ? Do you know what I am doing wrong ?

4- Upon seeing those situations, I found myself contemplating the "Wipe handheld" option, and just start over.

What does that option imply. Does that mean I can not use the device at all anymore. Do I need to take it back to Customer support. What do I lose, what do I keep. Do I need to get it activated with my carrier (Bell Mobility, Canda) again ?

Thank you very much again and in advance for your time !

John Clark
12-06-2007, 01:24 AM
1. You might want to try BBLight (http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/6944-download-bblight-bbweather-bbtoday-bbreply-binaries-gpl-source-code-included.html?highlight=BBLight)

2. Your device has IT policy on it. Depending on your computer skill level you can remove it.

Remove IT Policy (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/67224-remove-policy.html)

3. There should be a help function in the Desktop manager software to help you setup the sync. Are you getting any error messages or just nothing transferring? Check all the settings under sync. You can tell it which profile and what folders, etc.

4. Wipe Handheld will erase all your data but leave the OS in tact and the phone fully functional.

Narcisse
12-06-2007, 01:30 AM
Thank you for your very fast response, very appreciated

1- I will try to upload that application. I download it, I unzip it...and then what ? How do I upload it unto the device ?

2- I will look into it and give you news ASAP

3- I have tried the help function (F1) and followed all steps required. There is simply nothing transferring, I am wondering if I am forgetting a step (no error message)

4- That means I can still call with the phone, no need to activate it again with the carrier ? It basically deletes the applications installed, the customisations and such ?

Thanks again

Narcisse
12-06-2007, 01:39 AM
after taking a quick look at the it removing guide, i dont think i have enough knowledge to use that guide, thanks anyways :-(

the it policy is set to default.

is there any other to remove that password thing. having to type a password every time i take my device in my hands is really a pain in the a**.

thanks !

John Clark
12-06-2007, 01:40 AM
1. Place the .alx and .cod file in a folder somewhere on your PC where you won't delete it. Then you'll use the Desktop Manager's Application Loader. Use the "Add" button to browse to the .alx file. Then finish the process. The app will be loaded to your device.

3. Did you make sure that the data was going to be imported into the handheld, etc? Then after that you can set it to sync. You have to make sure that you are pulling from the proper folders, email profile, etc.

4. It will just delete user data, (emails, contacts, calendar entries, settings, etc.) not apps. It won't need to be reactivated or anything like that.

John Clark
12-06-2007, 01:40 AM
The Remove IT policy is the only way to remove that password requirement.

John Clark
12-06-2007, 01:42 AM
You might want to take a stroll through here:

Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com)

Narcisse
12-06-2007, 01:49 AM
Hum, then I guess I should really look into the IT removing guide.

Is there any other issues, apart from the Bluetooth keyboard problems (I do not plan to use a bluetooth keyboard)

John Clark
12-06-2007, 01:55 AM
No, just read through the instructions several times and the entire thread. Print out the first post so you can read it and follow the instructions exactly. You'll be editing registry files which is the brains of Windows so be careful.

It's a good idea to get the policy off, if you can. There could be other things locked down that you don't know about yet.

Narcisse
12-06-2007, 02:06 AM
I followed your guide to IT removing and it worked !

It was very clear and precise.

Thank you very much !!!

Narcisse
12-06-2007, 02:12 AM
Well

Problems/Questions

1,2 and 4 are dealt with

But I still cant synchronize my files...:-(

John Clark
12-06-2007, 02:22 AM
What version of Desktop Manager? Hopefully it's not 4.3.

Narcisse
12-06-2007, 02:29 AM
When I downloaded the version, I checked 4.3, and it said Outlook 2003, no mention of Outlook 2000, so I made sure to download version 4.2

Narcisse
12-06-2007, 02:29 AM
oh, version 4.2 SP2

John Clark
12-06-2007, 02:34 AM
Click on Syncronize. Then click the Configuration tab. The select Configure sync. There are settings there to choose what applications to sync and how to sync them.