PDA

View Full Version : New Icons appeared

mac11
12-07-2007, 09:48 AM
I am the BES administrator of 375 blackberry's. We use Cingular curves and Verizon 8830 bb's. yesterday, on a good number of my cingular devices (but apparently not all) had a few new icons just appear on these devices (shop tunes, community, shop themes, etc..). I did not push anything out, so i'm assuming these were pushed out by the carrier. I do have a IT policy in place that disallows the downloading of third party applications, so even though they showed up, the users can't do anything. Has anyone seen or heard of this before i contact the carrier? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

mac11
12-07-2007, 03:33 PM
just in case anyone reads this, those new icons are pushed down through a new service book from the carrier, so they came from Cingular (AT&T). To my knowledge since it is from a service book, there is no way to block it on the BES. I'll have to tell my users to just hide the new icons.. What a pain since i have iliterate users..

jsconyers
12-07-2007, 03:36 PM
I've heard of carriers doing this. You could probably have the users delete the service book as well.

Welcome to the forums (y)

murpheous
12-07-2007, 03:39 PM
I've heard of carriers doing this. You could probably have the users delete the service book as well.

Welcome to the forums (y)

BUT on a hard reset, the service books are re-downloaded

JSanders
12-07-2007, 03:44 PM
I read it, mac!

I just hid those icons also... however the Service Book do take up space on the BB, and can be deleted (Options > Advanced > Service Books). If explained correctly and point by point, your users might be able to delete them, and oh well as long as they don't delete the email service books, too.

I get your point, lol.

Nevermind, as Rosanne Rosanna Danna would say.

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2005/02/18/inside-snl-radner.jpg

Spamdumpster
12-07-2007, 03:48 PM
For devices operating OS 4.2.2 or higher, the best thing to do is to move all of those icons to a folder (I call mine at&t crap) and then hide the folder. Thus, if the service books are deleted and resent, the icons end up back in the folder.