PDA

View Full Version : Dropped 8700c

mdetardo
12-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Hey everyone.

Just dropped my Blackberry 8700c on the pavement getting out of my car. Instantly, the screen went to black. I wasn't successful getting it to turn back on at all, even with removing the battery and putting it back in.

Once I got home I plugged it into my charger, the red light will come on for about 10 seconds...go off again for 10 seconds...then come on again for about 10 more seconds...then it will shut off and that's it. The screen has flickered a couple times since I plugged it in.

I am pretty sure that all of this adds up to the fact that there's something seriously wrong. I have no warranty. I bought it off eBay and I didn't even get software/USB cable with it so I can't connect it to a computer. I'm willing to go out and buy that though if that's what it will take to maybe fix it.

ANYWAY, anything anyone can suggest to me would be a big help. I'm a college student, and I have no money to go out and buy another Blackberry. I don't want to have to resort back to my old regular cell phone..

PLEASE HELP!!!

JSanders
12-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Welcome to the BB Forums.

I hope it isn't fried... First before anything else, remove the battery and leave it out a while. You will need a USB cable with one end a Mini-usb to match the charger connection, to do anything hopeful of resurrecting it. Also, download and install the Desktop Manager, get Version 4.2, Service Pack 2 withOUT the Roxio Media Manager (the smaller download).
BlackBerry Desktop Manager Downloads - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/BlackBerry_Desktop_Manager_Downloads)

Then you will need to follow these instructions:
How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F)
and this if needed:
What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_to_do_next_if_Jl_Cmder_will_not_connect_and_wipe)

Good luck. Check back here if you have further questions as you go, but those instructions are written in detail with what you need to do.

mdetardo
12-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Okay, thanks for the help!

One question...Where would be the best place to purchase that cable, not including eBay?

Thanks again..

JSanders
12-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Any TMo, ATT, VZW or Sprint store should have one.

What kind of charger do you have, wall charger?

mdetardo
12-09-2007, 11:02 PM
I have a USB Wall Charger...

Thanks again..

JSanders
12-09-2007, 11:13 PM
If you have the one that normally comes with a BB, you can remove the USB cord from the wall connector and it becomes an instant USB cord for connecting to your Mac.

mdetardo
12-09-2007, 11:44 PM
I don't have the cord that came with the BB. All I got when I bought the BB was the battery, the unit, and the instruction manual.

As for having a Mac...I wish!

I'm looking online at the cord, and in the picture, and it seems like the mini-USB end is too small...

There doesn't seem to be anything listed on the AT&T site under the Blackberry 8700c...Maybe I'm blind??:oops:

JSanders
12-09-2007, 11:50 PM
So your wall charger cord does not come loose from the wall unit? Many do.

I never said anything about looking the ATT website. Go to the retailer. Ask them for a MiniUSB cord. They might even give you one, and they likely will have one for sell. Any BB retailer (Tmo, Verizon or Sprint) all the current BlackBerry's use the same connection.

mdetardo
12-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Okay...

I'm attempting to wipe my Blackberry, and I tried to connect it using Jl Cmder, and it really isn't working. My screen only comes on to show the Battery with the slash through it when the battery is out. When the battery is in, absolutley nothing happens. The only time I get any other action is when I put the battery in and plug in either the charger, or plug it into the computer. In that case I get the red light for about 10 seconds and then it goes back to nothing...

ANYWAY.. do I have hope to try to keep connecting and wipe it, or is there some other recourse I have?

I started to try to go through the instructions of what to do if Jl Cmder doesn't work, and for some reason my command prompt is reading C:\Documents and Settings\Mike, and not just the regular C:\... How would I change this??

Thanks again for any help...

mdetardo
12-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Update:

After multiple tries, I eventually got to where the error screen popped up... I got through the re-install of the OS and then got the hourglass, but it just stayed on that. I then pulled out the mini USB cord and everything went black. I was not able to powerup the BB. I then tried the process over again. I was successful again after a few tries, but I see nothing going on in the screen..

Is it hopeless??

JSanders
12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Sounds like you damaged the LCD screen.

Don't ever pull the USB cord while rebooting from a OS install. That'll kill it, let it sit for at least an hour before you freak out.

Good luck. If the OS reinstall did not bring it back to life, I would think you have hardware issues.