PDA

View Full Version : Using VZ BB 8830 on T-Mobile Network

manpreet
12-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi guys and gals,

My buddy is selling his VZ BB 8830 World Edition because he switched to T-Mobile (I'm also on T-Mo). I was wondering if there is a way to use a local carrier such as T-Mo on this phone or does it only accept international carrier SIM's, or what's the deal? Is there a way to unlock the GSM part of the phone so I can use the 8830 with my exiting T-Mobile account (SIM is in my 8700g right now).

I've tried interting the SIM and going through a bunch of menu options to switch to GSM mode and networks, etc and it always says "Invalid SIM" at the top of the screen, so I'm thinking somehow VZ locked the phone to American GSM carriers (if that even sounds possible).

Any tips would be appreciated. In the even I cannot use this 8830, I will post it for sale for him, probably here and Craig's List.

Thanks!

Perfect Storm
12-11-2007, 04:34 PM
No, the 8830 is international GSM only.

The 8800 forum is here -> General 8800 Series Discussion - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/) and would no doubt be a more receptive audience

NJBlackBerry
12-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Moving to 8800 forum...

manpreet
12-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Sorry about posting in the wrong place...of course it only clicked once I hit submit. I tried to log back in but this forum would just hang from my pc so I had to access this site from another pc...weird.

Thanks for your replies!

floz23
12-11-2007, 04:59 PM
I believe you can call the VZW business unit and get it unlocked for free. However, the frequencies used by the GSM radio are not for the U.S., and will ONLY work outside the U.S.