PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty upgrading Device OS

fanch16
12-11-2007, 10:46 PM
I am new to the blackberry scene, so I apologize if this is a stupid question. I did quite a few searches and couldn't find any answers, so I'm hoping you can help me out.

I am trying to update the OS of my Verizon 7130e that I use for work (my company provided me with the phone). I downloaded the latest versions of desktop manager and balckberry device manager. The software recognizes that my device is connected through my PC, but that's where my problems start. All the instructions that I've read state that the software should atuomatically recognize that my blackberry needs to be updated and begin the update immediately. This does not happen. The instructions also say there should be a "Update Now" button in my desktop manager software, but that's nowhere to be found either.

Can anyone help me with this? Is this caused by the fact that my company may have put IT limits on my device? If so, is there any way around that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've been trying to figure this out for a while now.

Thanks!

-Tyler (Newbie)

zerog46
12-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Check in options> about and see what version you have and if the new one is an upgrade. If so you can then try the application loadder to see if this starts the update.

John Clark
12-11-2007, 11:02 PM
There are two pieces of software you need to install to your computer.

1. Install Desktop Manager.
BlackBerry - BlackBerry - Sys Req V4-2 Pack 2 (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/req_4dot2_sp2.jsp;jsessionid=E4D2C95203F66001DB33DFCEF160F90F)

2. Install the OS you want to upgrade to.
BlackBerry Operating System Downloads - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/BlackBerry_Operating_System_Downloads)

Download and install both files to the PC. Then locate and delete the vendor.xml file.

Plug in device and run desktop Manager.

Device will prompt to update.

fanch16
12-12-2007, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the response guys,

However, I've done everything you're saying and I still don't get a prompt to update the software.

I've gone into Application Loader and there is no option to upgrade anything. The only program I can edit is my Blackberry Sametime Software.

Any suggestions?

skip0157
12-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Check to see if you downloaded a zip file. If you did just extract it and then try to run the desk top manager and it should see the upgrade.