PDA

View Full Version : USB Port Almost Broken

mschiano
12-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Hey all,

Just looking to get some advise/tips:

The usb port on my phone is practically shot. When the phone is charging, I have to have pressure on the cord (where it plugs into the phone) in order for it to actually charge. Otherwise, the port is too loose and won't do anything. I'm sure this will eventually lead to the usb female port all out breaking.

So what do I do? Will Verizon fix the issue for me? I do have insurance on the phone, but if they replace the phone, it'll be my third BB 8830 since September. I'd prefer to just have it fixed, rather than a new one. I'm tired of reconfiguring everything.

zerog46
12-12-2007, 10:22 AM
They should fix it I have had numerous problems with the charging ports on LG phones and they always replaced them.

ezrunner
12-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Bbrepairshop.com can fix it

Or if you are up to it you can fix it yourself (not recommended if you don't have the tools or skill)

greggebhardt
12-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Also as far as getting everything set up again on your new phone, if you do have to get it replaced, use the "Change Device Wizard" in your Desktop software. It will move everything including your settings to your new device in just a few minutes!

mjozwiak1856
12-14-2007, 11:05 AM
I am also seeing this happen on a bunch of our devices. We have 24 8800's and like 6-8 of them are having trouble. Sounds like a bad design.

jsntrenkler
12-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Interesting thing, over the last couple weeks I have noticed more complaints about this issue on these forums. Hmmm, hopefully it's not a defect.

mschiano
12-14-2007, 01:41 PM
i just dropped it off at verizon... hopefully they can fix it

greggebhardt
12-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Interesting thing, over the last couple weeks I have noticed more complaints about this issue on these forums. Hmmm, hopefully it's not a defect.

I agree as we have two top posts in this forum that involve this .

Sounds like there might have been a bad batch?

fusky
12-14-2007, 03:42 PM
I have had a few users who this has happened to. We have the insurance on them, and get them replaced for free. Seems like a design issue.

mschiano
12-14-2007, 05:05 PM
well, they're replacing the phone. should be coming in the mail tomorrow afternoon.

the port doesnt work at all anymore... so i was unable to save most of my phonebook, as well as my settings

mschiano
12-14-2007, 05:46 PM
hmm, would i be able to send over my phonebook and settings through bluetooth?

greggebhardt
12-14-2007, 05:48 PM
After all this, a good backup every week is a good thing!

rjansen3
12-15-2007, 12:29 PM
I noticed that my port is getting loose too! Anyone on Sprint tried to get this issue resolved? I changed my faceplate to an unbranded one too, so I guess I will have to change that back before I try any service eh?

Is RIM replacing these? Or are carriers fixing the issue?

TeritaM
12-15-2007, 06:10 PM
when my usb went bad my carrier replaced the phone. try contacting them first.

holden
12-15-2007, 11:43 PM
Also as far as getting everything set up again on your new phone, if you do have to get it replaced, use the "Change Device Wizard" in your Desktop software. It will move everything including your settings to your new device in just a few minutes!

Greggebhardt is right, use the phone transfer wizard... (4.3 desktop)

We have a corporate account and all our BB Handheld phones have a 1 year warranty. I am not sure if this is the same for retail / personal accounts but I would always check as your carrier should have a record of the start of account and can tell you if the phone is still under warranty.

H.

ELA
12-16-2007, 01:08 PM
well, they're replacing the phone. should be coming in the mail tomorrow afternoon.

the port doesnt work at all anymore... so i was unable to save most of my phonebook, as well as my settings

I am technologically handicapped, however, can't you do the ol' fashion sync via the software, desktop manager, or one of the other methods? Also, does your BB sync with your desktop, laptop, etc.? Can't you do a sync that way?

Good luck with the new BB.

Eric

TBOLTRAM
12-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Just a dumb comment: if the mini-USB conection goes bad you can't back up. Back up regularly and avoid a major problem.

holden
12-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Greggebhardt is right, use the phone transfer wizard... (4.3 desktop)

We have a corporate account and all our BB Handheld phones have a 1 year warranty. I am not sure if this is the same for retail / personal accounts but I would always check as your carrier should have a record of the start of account and can tell you if the phone is still under warranty.

H.

Tboltram your right, the only issue with this whole scenario is that if the USB port is truly non-functioning, you will not be able to backup nor use the migration wizard to transfer your mailbox, address etc.

I have had a few phones like this and was lucky enough to get the USB to work long enough and squeeze a backup before it stopped working again.

Another (armchair quarterback) FYI, you can adjust the desktop manager to challange for a backup automatically within the advanced button once in the Backup interface. Not much good if you can't backup the device though... :cry:

Good luck...

H.

holden
12-16-2007, 02:30 PM

Mschiano, Can you copy your addresses to the Sim? If you can, then your ok...
Also, Dekart makes a sim reader that I bought that you can use to manage sim memory but you may not need this. If you can copy your addresses to the sim, then just move the original sim to the replacement phone. Is this a possibility? At least you can salvage your 250 address area on the sim. (max on sim is 250 addresses)

H.

veks
12-16-2007, 02:54 PM
i have notice this with my 8830. i just have to fiddle with it to get it working. i have the service aand repair plan with sprint so ill just to a store to see iif i can get it swapped out.

palbright
12-16-2007, 06:48 PM
I had this happen on my 8800 under AT&T. USB port went from "needing to hold it to get a charge" to totally broken in the space of about 5 days. Was still under warranty so took it to an AT&T local service/replacement office (BTW---a really nice new service from AT&T) and got the phone replaced instantly no questions. They could not fix it there.

djquest
12-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I had the same issue! I called and was able to get a new one under the warranty but most likey your computer won't be able to read your phones contacts like mine! So what I did was buy a bluetooth adapter for my computer and back up all my data that way till I got my new phone.

mschiano
12-17-2007, 10:17 AM
i set up for my 8830 and my mac mini to comunicate through bluetooth... so i was able to save my entire phonebook, which was a huge plus... but i cant figure out how to save my settings this way

holden
12-17-2007, 05:30 PM
i set up for my 8830 and my mac mini to comunicate through bluetooth... so i was able to save my entire phonebook, which was a huge plus... but i cant figure out how to save my settings this way
Mschiano...
Good save! I have not ever tried this. Nothing like a melt down to test the limits! When you attach to the device with Bluetooth, how do you manage the address book? Through DM on the Mac?? Or?? All of us would like this in our list of tools for emergency repairs like the one you just went through...
H.

SheepDog
12-17-2007, 07:01 PM
DM doesnt work on the mac. drat it all.

mschiano
12-17-2007, 07:23 PM
When my BB8830 is connected to my Mac Mini, I go to the Bluetooth settings on the 8830. From there, I click on my computer (which is listed) and a menu pops up. One of the options in this menu is to 'Transfer Address Book' which saves my 8830's address book as a file on my Mac Mini's sharing folder.

holden
12-17-2007, 09:54 PM
When my BB8830 is connected to my Mac Mini, I go to the Bluetooth settings on the 8830. From there, I click on my computer (which is listed) and a menu pops up. One of the options in this menu is to 'Transfer Address Book' which saves my 8830's address book as a file on my Mac Mini's sharing folder.
Ok Mschiano...
I will have to try this one with one of the X60 laptops at work just to see if I can see the laptop in the menu... It has built in BT. Thanks for the reply...
:bb:
Thx..

H.

pshute
04-20-2008, 06:54 PM
You can add me to that list. More than 10% of our 70 8800s have had this fault. Don't let them tell you it's due to rough handling, they're just weak.

I recommend getting it fixed at the first sign of trouble. If you keep getting by with it, the tongue in the port will end up falling right out, and it'll be difficult to convince them that wasn't due to rough handling.

Apologies for posting this info to several threads. I'm pissed off that this is happening and that the manufacturers are trying to make us wear it.

Think
05-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Had the same problem and got it replaced after only a week. Very cheaply built USB connection to board so watch out. I would of rather use the base charger with the USB connection but the Otter Box seals off the back connections.

rog0664
09-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I have one with the exact problem, My insurance is $150 and a place locally wants $60 bucks to fix it. The only thing that makes me so mad is that my service provider Cellular South, will not replace or offer to fix my phone even tho it is only a couple of months old. What other providers have replaced the 8830 with the same problem? and what steps did you take to accopomplish this.

holden
09-30-2008, 05:58 PM
All 8800's have the ports that basically float on the system board. It is a known issue that the design is weak. It is a great phone and worth the repair IMHO. $60.00 is average to repair this. The bb repairshop in Houston (http://www.bbrepairshop.com/repair_8800.html)charges about $79.00.

H.

pshute
09-30-2008, 08:53 PM
I have one with the exact problem, My insurance is $150 and a place locally wants $60 bucks to fix it. The only thing that makes me so mad is that my service provider Cellular South, will not replace or offer to fix my phone even tho it is only a couple of months old. What other providers have replaced the 8830 with the same problem? and what steps did you take to accopomplish this.
Mostly 8800's failing here, but it will be the same problem. They ought to be fixing it for nothing. It looks like a rough handling problem, but they will know by now that it's a design fault and that it will eventually happen to the most gentle users.

As I have probably mentioned many times now, we had 7250's, etc, before these, and not a single one failed. The exact same users are having problems with 8800 USB ports, so it's not caused by rough handling.

I just took another one in for repairs, with the tongue fallen right out. The dealer can't get it fixed under warranty, so they're wearing the cost. They haven't been charging us for these yet.

I would print out as many threads as you can find about this, and show them to the dealer so they know that you know it's their fault not yours. If they won't budge or at least reduce the cost, well, what else can you do. $60 isn't too bad for the amount of work involved, I guess, but it's not you that should have to pay it. I wouldn't like to think dealers are actually making money on these repairs.

Just for interest, how many times a day would you insert and remove the charging cable? My theory is that it's metal fatigue, and that it depends on how many times you do it, rather than how roughly it's done.

pshute
10-16-2008, 11:52 PM
After getting 20 or so of these broken 8800 USB port faults fixed over the last year, our dealer is now telling us that all warranty claims for this fault are being rejected for being due to rough handling. We're now paying $75 to get each one repaired.

I rang the people they send them to, and they told me that this fault has NEVER been covered, but that they were perhaps not checking to so carefully at the start. They charge $150 for the same repair.

pshute
03-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Latest update. The dealer can't fix them anymore, they've run out of parts and can't get more. We're now only weeks away from replacing all these phones, so we don't want to send any more to Telstra for repairs at $150. They generally take weeks anyway.

Since my last posting we've had probably 8 more fail.

The Bolds had better not have this problem. Has anyone had any issues with them?