PDA

View Full Version : 8830 Owner and Clueless

dominque
12-12-2007, 04:44 PM
I have an 8830 with Sprint and honestly not a gadget gal so am clueless as to whats out there. I have version v 4.2.2.123 and I'm not sure if I need a software upgrade? So if anyone can help me with that I'd really really appreciate it!!

Also, is there any other applications I should d/l on my phone? I currently have jivetalk and google maps on there. I've been seeing many people in this forum talk about Opera Mini? Is that something I Should look into?

As you can see I'm clueless and confused so any help anyone can offer would be be great.

Thanks!

jtreeves
12-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Dominique,

Welcome to the forum! I strongly recommend TeleNav 4.0. It costs $10/mo but is well worth it if you travel by car to places with which you are unfamiliar. My wife travels a lot on her job. I update her destinations online for each city she visits. She can get from the airport to her worksite and from there to her hotel and back to the airport without getting lost. Go to http://www.telenav.com] and download a trial version.

Opera mini is a much more versatile browser than the one that BB supplies. You can get it at www.operamini.com. It is free.

This is the place to come when you need help with anything BlackBerry.

JR

SheepDog
12-12-2007, 04:53 PM
welcome! nobody knows about their BB before they get one, so not to worry. At the main page you will see a link for the FAQ's for your BB. The Blackberry dot com web pages have one also. Read it so you know more of what you want to ask about. Makes it easier for all of us.

The 8830 is a very neat tool ! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine! and yes I have opera mini. It seems better than the BB web browser to me. Read everything you get your mits on and let the world look out for you!

Again, Welcome!

JSanders
12-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Dominique, welcome to the Forums.

If your BB is working fine and no issues, you don't need to upgrade.

For other applications, read over the Aftermarket Software thread to see if there is anything you have to have... For now I would recommend you enjoy your BB and give it a few days before overloading yourself with everything... by then you might see what you need and have some specific questions.

Look over the FAQs here, look in the Third Party Applications, also in the FAQs.

dominque
12-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the reply guys!! The only issue i've been having with my BB is with the browser.....the bb browser loses reception quickly so I get constant messages that i'm not in a service area even though every other application on my phone works in that area (PIN, AIM, etc)

So i'm not sure if i should upgrade my v 4.2.2.123.

djm2
12-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the reply guys!! The only issue i've been having with my BB is with the browser.....the bb browser loses reception quickly so I get constant messages that i'm not in a service area even though every other application on my phone works in that area (PIN, AIM, etc)

So i'm not sure if i should upgrade my v 4.2.2.123.

The upgrade will not fix the problem of service areas; I have run into that as well. It seems to stem more from a marginal signal. However, call customer service and tell them that browsing capability is lost even when other data services are present. They may be able to make a slight change for you that will help the problem.

If you go into Options>Status what is your "normal" signal strength when you are getting these messages. I'll bet it is about -100db.