PDA

View Full Version : By-passing BES rules for third party software

Mankthetank19
12-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to the Blackberry phenomenum (sp?) and I was provided with a handy down but it is like-new ;-) - 8703e. I am on the BES which has rules that doesn't allow me to download third party applications. Since I can't download them on the device through the web browser, is there a way to download from the web on a PC and sync the application through the desktop program? Sorry for the newbish questions. I just think it is stupid that I cant download applications like Google maps, weather channel AP, AIM, etc.

Thanks again for the assistance :)

- Dan

jeremyckitching
12-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The IT policy on your device will prevent you from doing that, so there isn't a way.

moleman2k
12-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Simple answer. NO.

Your IT department set the rules for a reason, and attempting to bypass this would violate your company's corporate policy, which could lead to your termination from said company.

Your best bet is to plead with your IT people to relax the rules, but this is not likely to get you anywhere, because they set the rules in the first place for a reason known to them.

whataphone
12-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Simple answer. NO.

Your IT department set the rules for a reason, and attempting to bypass this would violate your company's corporate policy, which could lead to your termination from said company.

Your best bet is to plead with your IT people to relax the rules, but this is not likely to get you anywhere, because they set the rules in the first place for a reason known to them.

Yep! We IT people are a hard bunch to break, especially when it's corporate policy as you indicated. We could lose our jobs if we laxed on the rules :shock:

:bb: 8700c

Aroc
12-15-2007, 08:25 PM
A case of scotch can grease the wheels, though.

kdog1176
12-15-2007, 08:52 PM
There are many threads on how users should not circumvent IT policy, which I agree with. I'm curious though. Does anyone have any stories of people actually being fired for doing so?

John Clark
12-16-2007, 01:29 PM
I read one here not that long ago about someone getting their butt chewed pretty good!

penguin3107
12-16-2007, 01:32 PM
There are many threads on how users should not circumvent IT policy, which I agree with. I'm curious though. Does anyone have any stories of people actually being fired for doing so?

I've personally had one of our employees terminated for tampering with a company owned device. (removal of IT policy.)
This employee was verbally warned, given a written warning, and then they were out on the third strike.

It happens.