PDA

View Full Version : sprint 1xev problems

uscfire51
12-13-2007, 06:06 AM
has anyone found a solution to the 1xev problems? i just got my 8830 last night and was on the phone with sprint for 4 hours trying to get 1xev up and running. it worked for about 45 mins. and now my phone is in digital roam all the time.

dankarlinski
12-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Wirelessly posted (8320 Curve: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I'm a tmo user, but no difference. A BB is a BB. I would do a bettery pull while its on. If that doesn't work, go to options, advanced, service books. Deleate all but proivisioning. Then log onto ur BIS site or go to host routing table and register your BB. It might fix the problem.

Any more questions, feel free to PIN me. pin:241af464

JRSCCivic98
12-13-2007, 11:13 AM
If you don't travel out of the country, make sure you're on the latest OS and change your radio setting from Global to 1XEV. It will keep this from happening.

camattin
12-13-2007, 11:26 AM
I wish that were true. I'm set to 1XEV & Home Only. Yet, my phone still goes to 1xev & just 1x whenever it feels like it. Luckily I only have to turn the radio off/on to get it back... based on other reports here, seems some folks have to do a battery pull.

uscfire51
12-13-2007, 12:05 PM
i was on the phone with sprint and my problem was that there was a tower down in my area which put me into digital roam which eliminates data receiving. i also needed a plr update. when you call sprint ask for a plr update and your phone will connect with the closet working tower. for sprint the direct line to blackberry support is 1-877-808-3895 (U.S.) thanks for your replies.

camattin
12-13-2007, 02:12 PM
With VZW, I could *228 to get the PRL update. On sprint / blackberry is there a similar way to automatically get PRL updates or do you have to speak to a rep and have one pushed down?

SheepDog
12-13-2007, 07:00 PM
I think there is a *number but I dont remember it. I am sure someone will chime in soon.

vZwire
12-13-2007, 07:30 PM
With VZW, I could *228 to get the PRL update. On sprint / blackberry is there a similar way to automatically get PRL updates or do you have to speak to a rep and have one pushed down?

You can't dial *228 unless you are not roaming...
You can't stop roaming until you dial *228...

Hmm...NOW WHAT???

You can manually program, if you can find a rep willing to help.
Good luck!

camattin
12-13-2007, 10:02 PM
I think there is a *number but I dont remember it. I am sure someone will chime in soon.

Yeah, I thought I saw one somewhere too. I'll go searching again...

uscfire51
12-14-2007, 04:14 AM
im pretty sure you have talk to the rep. then they prompt you to dial *2 and it will update and auto reset your device. also for 1xev my problem was my sim card.... i removed it and i havent lost 1xev once yet. sprint said it should only be in if you are out of country... not sure if there is much truth to that but it worked for me.

aviraled2002
12-14-2007, 04:20 AM
with sprint I was told to dial *18 to reset the connection.

camattin
12-14-2007, 04:27 PM
im pretty sure you have talk to the rep. then they prompt you to dial *2 and it will update and auto reset your device. also for 1xev my problem was my sim card.... i removed it and i havent lost 1xev once yet. sprint said it should only be in if you are out of country... not sure if there is much truth to that but it worked for me.

I did the sim card removal as well... and didn't even make it 24 hours before I lost data. Oh well. I just have a week left to decide if this problem is annoying enough to switch phones / carriers!

BallHawk3
12-14-2007, 05:29 PM
I did the sim card removal as well... and didn't even make it 24 hours before I lost data. Oh well. I just have a week left to decide if this problem is annoying enough to switch phones / carriers!

I suggest to take it to the nearest Sprint/Nextel service center and see if they can help you (they should be able to unless they are lazy jerks).

Just curious, has the device, ever worked?!?

Sounds like you can make calls, but have been able to set up the e-mail and actually use it yet? Or get on the web?

camattin
12-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Yeah, it normally works fine. Sometimes I'll go days with everything working (AIM, emails, etc.). Then it'll decide to go into voice-only or sometimes even emergency-only mode (instead of 1XEV, sometimes I'll have 1xev, 1x, or even nothing but the bars). Just turning the radio off and back on fixes the problem every time for me.

uscfire51
12-14-2007, 07:42 PM
i noticed that when i use gps i loose 1XEV but when i reset my connections it works fine.

JRSCCivic98
12-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Well, one thing is definite... this seems to be a Sprint thing.

rjansen3
12-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Whenever I loose 1XEV, I just go....

Manage Connections>Turn all connections off>(wait a few seconds)>Restore Connections.

That ususally brings back EVDO, unless I have really weak signal. Anyway, I think it might be an issue with the OS, it seems to not try very hard to re-aquire EVDO support. Hey Sprint, hows about an update?

camattin
12-15-2007, 02:55 PM

Manage Connections>Turn all connections off>(wait a few seconds)>Restore Connections.

That ususally brings back EVDO, unless I have really weak signal. Anyway, I think it might be an issue with the OS, it seems to not try very hard to re-aquire EVDO support. Hey Sprint, hows about an update?

I have 6 days left to decide if I'm going to gamble that we'll eventually get a fix for this (stay w/ sprint) or look elsewhere. Since this thing is my work pager, I cannot afford to constantly lose data services like this.

Decisions, decisions...

rjansen3
12-15-2007, 03:10 PM
I am deabting on wether or not I want to try a newer version of the OS. As long as the OS is intended for the 8830, you can put it on your phone, regardless of the provider. This has to be a Sprint OS problem, as I haven't seen too many VZW people complaining about this issue. You might want to try installing the latest OS and see if that helps.

JRSCCivic98
12-15-2007, 05:38 PM

Um, you're not loosing EVDO link when it switches from 1XEV to 1xev. The "ev" is EVDO! You're just loosing your connection to the BIS servers that Sprint has.... again, a Sprint issue with BIS servers.

rjansen3
12-16-2007, 12:39 AM
Right, I meant when you go I get down to 1X or 1x. You Verizon users are always so high and mighty! Lol j/k. :razz:

camattin
12-16-2007, 10:17 AM
I am deabting on wether or not I want to try a newer version of the OS. As long as the OS is intended for the 8830, you can put it on your phone, regardless of the provider. This has to be a Sprint OS problem, as I haven't seen too many VZW people complaining about this issue. You might want to try installing the latest OS and see if that helps.

If we loaded a VZW OS on our sprint phones, would we lose, either temporarily or permanently, the GPS? Or is that a programming function lower than an OS update would address?

rjansen3
12-16-2007, 12:51 PM
To the best of my knowledge, we would not loose use of our GPS. I am not positive though.

uscfire51
12-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Does anyone have a link where I can get a sprint os upgrade for my 8830?

JRSCCivic98
12-16-2007, 06:05 PM
If we loaded a VZW OS on our sprint phones, would we lose, either temporarily or permanently, the GPS? Or is that a programming function lower than an OS update would address?

No, based on current info you won't loose GPS if you do this. The only way you'd loose GPS on any CDMA 8830 is if you load up VZNavigator on it. That program on install/uninstall changes the PDE address to a loopback IP. There has been 2 reported incidents of this and one of them was visually verified and also corrected manually.

SheepDog
12-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Sprint PCS Software: Sprint PCS Connection Manager Software from Sprint (http://www.sprint.com/downloads)

uscfire51
12-16-2007, 11:53 PM
thanks for the link (y)

camattin
12-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Alright, let the experiments begin!

I just loaded Alltel's 4.2.2.123/P3.0.0.64 onto my sprint 8830. Got all my service books, etc. back. Now I'll just have to wait and see how long I keep 1XEV.

Will post back here with updates....

JRSCCivic98
12-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Alright, let the experiments begin!

I just loaded Alltel's 4.2.2.123/P3.0.0.64 onto my sprint 8830. Got all my service books, etc. back. Now I'll just have to wait and see how long I keep 1XEV.

Will post back here with updates....

Why such an old version?

AndrewAZ
12-17-2007, 04:39 PM
We had a topic on this a while back... Its not just a sprint issue it happens on the VZ 8830 also.. So far we just have to wait for RIM to fix it..

camattin
12-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Why such an old version?

I went in alphabetical order, and that was the latest alltel version I saw out there. And it's just one rev off of the latest release, so it's not really old.

SheepDog
12-17-2007, 07:03 PM
waste of time....

JRSCCivic98
12-17-2007, 10:21 PM
We had a topic on this a while back... Its not just a sprint issue it happens on the VZ 8830 also.. So far we just have to wait for RIM to fix it..

Really? I don't seem to have this issue, yet each poster I find about this seems to be with Sprint. I'm not stating you're wrong, but look at it from my viewpoint.

JRSCCivic98
12-17-2007, 10:22 PM
I went in alphabetical order, and that was the latest alltel version I saw out there. And it's just one rev off of the latest release, so it's not really old.

It's not one release back when you consider the software revisions from other carriers. That's what I meant.

camattin
12-17-2007, 11:11 PM
It's not one release back when you consider the software revisions from other carriers. That's what I meant.

The other carriers (Sprint, VZW, USCC) are only one release ahead (.176). Other carriers may have newer releases, but I'm not _that_ adventurous. :)

camattin
12-17-2007, 11:12 PM
waste of time....

So you are saying you've tried it and not been successful?

If you haven't, then how can you say that it's a waste of time?

AndrewAZ
12-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Really? I don't seem to have this issue, yet each poster I find about this seems to be with Sprint. I'm not stating you're wrong, but look at it from my viewpoint.

Yep really.. Funny the topic was started by an ATT user then a Verizon user responded with the same issue followed by a mix of all 3 of us.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/92353-annoying-loss-data-connection.html

Also check out the link in post 6 to more sprint and verizon users who have the same issue.

If we merged all the topics together on this issue we would easily be at 6 pages long.. It would be interesting to take a poll to see if it correlates to one service provider but I bet it doesn't, more likely the correlation is the use of 3g technology such as EVDO in particular some software bug that RIM needs to fix.

SheepDog
12-18-2007, 06:40 PM
So you are saying you've tried it and not been successful?

If you haven't, then how can you say that it's a waste of time?

If you note the post above me from AndrewAZ you will see what I mean. It isnt an OS issue at all I dont beleive. It sure isnt just a sprint issue so ignore that AssHat JRS also.

It is an issue with RIM and the model 8830. When RIM decides to tackle that problem it will find a solution. By all means play with OS's if you want to. I just dont want to see you disappointed and angry when it doesnt solve anything.

To sum up:

1. all the carriers have seen this issue.
2. Its all about RIM, not you. Only they can fix it.
3. Never listen to Jrs. He is very angry in almost every post whatever the subject.

JRSCCivic98
12-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Take a look at crackberry's forums. There's a thread about this same issue. Guess what? 98% Sprint users. I've seen hundreds of BBs with BIS from various carriers and this issue is mostly a Sprint issue from what I have seen. Take it or leave it, but if there's others on the other networks that have this the % is much smaller then those with Sprint. It's not a rampant issue and until I see something definitive on the situation I will go by what I see and at the moment that all points to a high % of Sprint users.

AndrewAZ
12-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Take a look at crackberry's forums. There's a thread about this same issue. Guess what? 98% Sprint users. I've seen hundreds of BBs with BIS from various carriers and this issue is mostly a Sprint issue from what I have seen. Take it or leave it, but if there's others on the other networks that have this the % is much smaller then those with Sprint. It's not a rampant issue and until I see something definitive on the situation I will go by what I see and at the moment that all points to a high % of Sprint users.

Maybe there are more sprint users on the forum? Maybe sprint has a larger blackberry population since it has cheaper data rates.

But in the posts on here it seems even split between carriers. Some people use the phones more than others so its bound to happen to them more.

In the link I have one verizon person got his 8830 replaced 3 times and it still had the same issue. We also have ATT (guy who started the topic) along with cingular.. I think its stupid to try and point it as a sprint issue, if that was the case why do we have about an even number of people with 8830 and other carriers having the same issue. Only one way to solve this... Poll, so please vote I will make it now.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/110309-data-loss-issues.html

Please vote.

JRSCCivic98
12-19-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm voting numerous times just to prove you wrong. ;)

SheepDog
12-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Just like a liberal democrat! Voting several times for Killery Klinton also next year?

JRSCCivic98
12-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Just like a liberal democrat! Voting several times for Killery Klinton also next year?

I don't know what's funnier... the fact that you don't know that you can't vote more then once on a poll here or that you're a Republican?

SheepDog
12-20-2007, 08:05 PM
You assuming that I dont know is even funnier. and sort of sad.

hint: your IP address is the key.

and I never said I was a republican! (and I am not)

AndrewAZ
12-21-2007, 02:30 AM
I'm voting numerous times just to prove you wrong. ;)

I knew it I just knew it... You killed the ATT and Verizon folks who had this issue before they could vote...

jsntrenkler
12-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Nah, it happens with all the carriers ... Verizon folks have had problems with the whole 1Xev / 1XEV thing ... Heck, my phone switches back and forth on it's own sometimes. I have to do a batter pull to get the 1XEV back. And I am a Verizon User, I agree with the above, I believe this is a RIM issue, not a sprint issue.

jsntrenkler
12-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Hehehhe - I am a Republican

JRSCCivic98
12-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Hehehhe - I am a Republican

That's why you have problems with 1xev. :razz:

AndrewAZ
12-21-2007, 06:15 PM
That's why you have problems with 1xev. :razz:

I would rather live with the 1xev problems vs being a democrat.

robertpetry
12-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Folks,

This is not just a BIS issue. I have BES and I lose the ability to browse the web when I drop from 1xEV to 1xev.

Restarting wireless connections through "manage connections" is the quickest way to get it back. Works every time.

Definite bug.

SheepDog
12-23-2007, 10:59 PM
yep. what I said. A RIM problem not any one carrier.

armandov99
02-21-2008, 12:55 PM
So I'm gonna bump this, even though I have an 8130. It's starting to happen almost daily now, even though it used to be rare. I wake up in the morning to find my phone in 1xev and not 1XEV. Have to turn it off/on to get connectivity back, at which point a bunch of emails come in that had been missed.

This also happens in the late mornings sometimes. I'll go to the browser and find it's not working, then realize it's in 1xev and I have to reboot the phone. This is getting really annoying. I've tried switching to the newest US Cellular OS and I still have the same problem and it occurs just as it did with the Sprint OS.

Anyone find this getting more and more prevalent?

Janir
02-21-2008, 02:24 PM
try repushing the service books back to your BB. When we had the BB outage a few weeks ago, my BB started going into 1ev mode in areas I was always getting 1EV, basicly lost regular contact with the BIS servers. Battery pulls didn't work, I repushed and all was good.