PDA

View Full Version : 8830 Voice Dialing only recognizing 3 contacts regardless of what I say

mdgoblue
12-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Everything seems to be working fine with voice dialing with regards to commands, initializing, etc. I can voice dial by number, check status, etc. just fine.

However, when I say "Call - abcxyz" where abcxyz represents ANYONE in my contact list the device asks if I am calling one of the same 3 contacts.

For example, the 3 contacts that it recognizes are: Balance, Ben and Beam.

No matter what names I say, it can be "Call Mom" or "Call John Smith" it will ask if I am trying to call Balance. I say no and it asks if I am calling Ben, then Beam. Same 3 names, every time.

Sometimes it will tell me that there are no recognizable names, but if it does suggest a name it is one of those 3 or all 3.

This was working just fine up until recently. I have not upgraded software. The only thing I added was tethering service. Not sure if that would have any effect on Voice Dialing or not.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

vZwire
12-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Sounds like you need a full-blown exorcism!!!

This is a new one to me. Weird. I'll ask the guys at work tomorrow and follow-up. Hopefully someone on here will help in the meantime.

VanguardBlue
02-06-2008, 06:44 AM
8-) I gotta say....that is funny! Sorry about that! I'm not sure what is going on. You might try resetting your Blackberry (pull the battery). I am having a major problem with voice dialing too, but mine gives me back all kinds of funky choices...none of which are ever accurate. This happened after I synched with Outlook and put all 3,100 contacts on my Curve. Before, I only had about 50 and it worked great!

Please let me know if you find out an answer.

mattk0
02-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Are you speaking in English!? ;-)

Not to ask a dumb question, but have you tried a battery pull? Also, I assume all the other contacts have numbers associated with them?

RobM
02-06-2008, 04:00 PM
sounds really odd to me

Sith_Apprentice
02-06-2008, 04:16 PM
try to backup the device, wipe and reload the OS. sounds like you cut your VAD off when it was first starting, and it only managed to recognize a few contacts. Since they all start with B i am guessing it started at the top of the list

rayzor
02-09-2008, 01:27 AM
isnt there a place in options to have the bb learn you voice. I think when I first got mine I had to train it and then whenI hooked up the blue tooth I did it again. I will look for it. Also in options go to voice dialing and check your voice sensitivity. Hope that helps

Sith_Apprentice
02-09-2008, 01:29 AM
you do not have to train your device to use the VAD.

theBorg
02-09-2008, 01:49 AM
There's a setting for recognition sensitivity under setting -> options -> something like VAD.

If it's set to reject too much, nothing will be properly recognized. If it's set to reject too little, guesses will be wrong frequently.

I upped the sensitivity 1 notch from neutral, and noticed a big recognition improvement.

The trick with VAD is to figure out how the computer wants you to say the name, not necessarily what is the correct way to say the name. For example Obot (Oh-bought) gets more hits with (Obit).

Also, of course, try pulling the battery.

ofelas
02-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Sometimes the VAD doesn't recognize what I say either...just proves that this is yet another conspiracy against southern accented speech 8-)

nohbdyshero
02-09-2008, 01:00 PM
The only issue I ever have with VAD is that I work with a lot of people of non-American descent so they have odd names and I can never voice dial them