PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help?

mastdog
12-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Ok, I have just got the pearl, and though I have fallen in love with the software and BB system, I am not so keen on he pearl and the keyboard and smaller screen.

I am thinking of going to the 8830 for the screen, more standard hands free jack, and a case that will attach to my belt. But upon research, I heard about the gps issue (that seems to be fixed) but also ring volume.

Now the reviews were early on in the launch of the phone, is the ringtone volume resovled? I have some hearing loss and if it is not loud, I will not be able to use it.

Any help would be great.

JSanders
12-15-2007, 12:05 AM
i have some LOUD, VERY LOUD ringtones if you find it is not loud enough.
Just ask.
I do see users here mention low ring volume on the 8830.

mastdog
12-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Well you found me over here too LOL I had to cry uncle with the pearl, its a nice looking phone, but I think there are some items that have me just flat out flustered. Worst case, i can use it over the Holiday and if I dont like it, take it back and hell maybe even go back to the pearl!

Do you know if Verizon opened up the GPS on the phone? That seemed to be a big issue.

And if you have the Pittsburgh Steelers Fight Song loud I will take it.

rpvitale
12-15-2007, 12:55 AM
Ringer volume still terrible. GPS opened only for VZnavigator and nothing else.

John Clark
12-15-2007, 12:55 AM
GPS can be used with the VZNavigator application on Verizon. It costs $10 a month. No other option with Verizon.

akosnitzky
12-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.1)

Well you found me over here too LOL I had to cry uncle with the pearl, its a nice looking phone, but I think there are some items that have me just flat out flustered. Worst case, i can use it over the Holiday and if I dont like it, take it back and hell maybe even go back to the pearl!

Do you know if Verizon opened up the GPS on the phone? That seemed to be a big issue.

And if you have the Pittsburgh Steelers Fight Song loud I will take it.

Go Dolphins. :-)

Nickster248
12-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Now the reviews were early on in the launch of the phone, is the ringtone volume resovled? I have some hearing loss and if it is not loud, I will not be able to use it.
I too have some hearing loss, but I have no problem with my 8830 in terms of being able to clearly hear everything.:smile: There are some ringtones that are very loud...actually too loud at times, so ringtones won't be a problem for you.

Overall, I am more than happy with my 8830, both in a visual sense and being able to clearly hear ringtones, callers voices, etc. Very clear...the best I have experienced.(y)

mastdog
12-15-2007, 06:19 PM
I just got it today and though no one has called me yet, I adjusted the profiles for the ringers and I did find an older version 2006 of the Steelers Fight song, so...so far so good.

As for GPS what other apps could I do? I turned it on for location finding...

JSanders
12-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Beyond411, BeamBerry, JiveTalk, BBSmart, Viigo.

there are many threads about "hot" and "must have" apps, look at the Aftermarket Software section.

mastdog
12-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Beyond411, BeamBerry, JiveTalk, BBSmart, Viigo.

there are many threads about "hot" and "must have" apps, look at the Aftermarket Software section.

As Always the Sith Master knows the ways of the Dark Side!

Donbp
12-15-2007, 07:23 PM
I spoke with VZ TS tonight and they claim the low ringer volume has been resolved. They say the update on vzam.net/blackberry will fix it. As I don't have a 8830 atm I can't try it out.

carmen
12-17-2007, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE=Nickster248;775635] There are some ringtones that are very loud...actually too loud at times, so ringtones won't be a problem for you.

I am still in my trial period as well for the 8830 VZ and already did the trial of the Pearl. The ringer is THE reason this phone may go back. Former Treo (all of them) user I really like the BB system and everything else about this phone but missing calls due to low vibrate & ringer is killing me. I am not computer stupid (so to speak) but not an IT person either and more importantly spending more time than I ever have to try and keep this phone by searching this site.

I can not figure out how to actually "make" a ringer. I downloaded Audacity and can't figure it out for the life of me. I've downloaded off BB and in media it's loud (not TOO loud) but that isn't how it sounds when you put as a ringer. Plus, I just want a ringer.....no music.....no voice telling me to "pick-up" the phone....just some type of cleaver tone.

Being new I am trying to keep my posts to a limit but (maybe I am stupid) I can't figure this out and running out of time on my trial time.

So without taking up to much of anyones time can someone direct me in the right direction as if I was 10? I DON'T EVER WANT TO GO BACK PALM BUT I'M ALMOST BEING FORCED TO! I just think when you spend fair $$ should be able to power it up and go! Whatever help is much appreciated.

carmen
12-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Oh! And I forgot...I did do that VZ update (to fix volume) DIDN'T WORK......