PDA

View Full Version : Switching U.S. Cellular to Verizon

erussell1969
12-15-2007, 12:45 AM
Does anyone one know if I can switch my US Cellular 8830 on the Verizon system and if so will it work properly. It doesn't seem that US Cellular offers as much as Verizon. I may be wrong about this. Also is there any place you can get a written manual for an 8830. I am new to the BB world and my phone is smarter than me. Any help anyone can give me will help. I don't know how or where to download software, music, anything. Thanks for anyones time

John Clark
12-15-2007, 12:51 AM
Rumor has it that Verizon is now allowing other carrier's devices on their system so I'd cautiously say yes. It's a new thing so no guarantees but check with them and find out.

Where can I get my device user manual? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Where_can_I_get_my_device_user_manual%3F)

erussell1969
12-15-2007, 12:59 AM
Rumor has it that Verizon is now allowing other carrier's devices on their system so I'd cautiously say yes. It's a new thing so no guarantees but check with them and find out.

Where can I get my device user manual? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Where_can_I_get_my_device_user_manual%3F)

Thanks for the info but the link seems to not be working. I don't know if its my system or a problem on the other end. Just though I would let you know

John Clark
12-15-2007, 01:02 AM
Try this:

Livelink - Redirection (http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8067/645045/8533/1360749/BlackBerry_8830_World_Edition_Smartphone_-_User_Guide_(version_4.2.2)?nodeid=1360681&vernum=0)

Found it on BlackBerry (http://www.blackberry.com)

vZwire
12-15-2007, 01:52 AM

Not yet...and it will be VERY strict on exact devices that can transfer over. You'd think that any CDMA phone should be able to xfer, but I know that the list will not be that open.

BTW- Anyone ever think of this? Maybe 1 stipulation may be that Verizon's software may be REQUIRED to be flashed onto the phones, ending all debate on GPS, and other rumors floating around on this topic?

Owners manual??? You'll learn more in 5 minutes in these forums than you will reading the entire manual. Remember- Cell phone manuals are not Carrier specific, therefore, by the time US Cellular put their software on the device, the manual is not much help.

I will post a copy of approved x-over devices as soon as the list is available from VZW.

John Clark
12-15-2007, 01:56 AM
BTW- Anyone ever think of this? Maybe 1 stipulation may be that Verizon's software may be REQUIRED to be flashed onto the phones, ending all debate on GPS, and other rumors floating around on this topic?

Not likely. You can use any OS on any like device. It's always been that way. You can load Sprint software (or any other CDMA OS) on a Verizon BB and it works just fine. All the OS's are developed by RIM for each device and sent to the carriers for testing and release on their system.

vZwire
12-15-2007, 02:02 AM
Not likely. You can use any OS on any like device. It's always been that way. You can load Sprint software (or any other CDMA OS) on a Verizon BB and it works just fine. All the OS's are developed by RIM for each device and sent to the carriers for testing and release on their system.

I dunno... Maybe I should start a thread on the "rumor" forum on this...juice it up a bit.

Add an unlocked GPS comment in, and watch the wolves attack!!! :)

John Clark
12-15-2007, 02:04 AM
Please, for the love of Pete, NO......

vZwire
12-15-2007, 02:05 AM
LOL!!!! You'll get to know me...I would NEVER!

jsntrenkler
12-15-2007, 02:55 AM
Verizon is supposed to allow other CDMA phones on to their network sometime around next summer. Rumor also has it that it will be a different type of service plan, so be prepared to pay extra $$$ for this "FEATURE" .. Time will tell.

Dubdub
12-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Does anyone one know if I can switch my US Cellular 8830 on the Verizon system and if so will it work properly. It doesn't seem that US Cellular offers as much as Verizon. I may be wrong about this. Also is there any place you can get a written manual for an 8830. I am new to the BB world and my phone is smarter than me. Any help anyone can give me will help. I don't know how or where to download software, music, anything. Thanks for anyones time

The best option is to go to a Verizon store and ask to set up an account using your 8830. You will know right away whether you can or can't.

My guess is NO. But if the phone is in the Verizon database of "approved" devices, then maybe it will work.

Demon
12-15-2007, 09:29 AM
I tried to activate one recently as a test, didn't work. I sent you a PM with my number though. Please let me know if you need anything.