PDA

View Full Version : I bought a Jawbone

jsntrenkler
12-15-2007, 03:04 AM
Okay, so I love my Motorola H500 Bluetooth headset, works great on my Blackberry. But after reading all the rants and raves on this site I decided to take the plunge and go pick up a jawbone. All I can say is Wow! ... You don't know what you are missing until you try this thing, I had the stereo on in the car, window down and my wife on the phone, she said that she could not hear any background noise at all. I was surprised. The call quality was exceptional, the jawbone also comes with 4 inserts for the ear piece, as well as 3 additional ear clips of various sizes. I truly wish I would have picked one of these up a lot sooner. The best $99 I have spent in a long time.

-Jason

orbitz
12-15-2007, 03:37 AM
I agree...the noise cancellation on the Jawbone is amazing. I have a partner that uses one (I have been meaning to grab one but am really lazy about keeping the one I have charged) and he is in a really noisy environment with heavy equipment running etc. and I almost never hear it in the background when I am talking to him. When we are walking side by side during the rare moments I have my Motorola headset working, people I am talking to on it can't hear me at all.

jsntrenkler
12-15-2007, 11:47 AM
I am still super impressed with this Gadget! .. It is fantastic!

carmen
12-15-2007, 06:04 PM
I've heard great things as well. Where can I pick one up?

JSanders
12-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Carmen, Best Buy and others have had them. I bought one recently at ecost.com for $77. Could still be on sale. The Aliph Jawbone.

I too tested it with my truck window down, and radio and almost half volume. My office could not hear me at all--UNTIL I engaged the noise reduction, and they said it was night and day. They could "barely" hear the radio, and could hear me clearly.

carmen
12-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanx Sanders!

atomicfission92
12-15-2007, 09:16 PM
I love my Jawbone, I picked one up when they first came out for the lovely price of $65.99 with a discount at a local ATT Wireless store. I swear by it and I know at least 3 others who have bought one as well.

The only sorta downfall to it is it seems to have a short battery life, but they very well maybe because I use it almost every single day of the week for sometimes hours. But you can still use it while it is charging which is what I sometimes have to do.

BruceDBR
12-15-2007, 10:22 PM
I really wish I could have used the one I bought. I just couldn't get it to fit on my ears well. I wound up breaking 2 of the ear pieces trying to ge the thing comfortable! I wound up giving it to my best friend. He loves it! All the rave reviews, i wish I could have kept it!

wiscaudi
12-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Just put this dirty dog on the Christmas list.

The only sorta downfall to it is it seems to have a short battery life, but they very well maybe because I use it almost every single day of the week for sometimes hours. But you can still use it while it is charging which is what I sometimes have to do.

I bet this has something to do with the advanced noise canceling "software" and hardware. Has to eat up some battery for it to work so great as everyone continually reports!

dtdt
12-16-2007, 12:23 AM
I too tested it with my truck window down, and radio and almost half volume. My office could not hear me at all--UNTIL I engaged the noise reduction, and they said it was night and day. They could "barely" hear the radio, and could hear me clearly.

By default, the Jawbone has noise-cancellation activated, unless you de-activate it. Did you de-activate it prior to calling your office?

Quoted from Jawbone's website: (http://www.jawbone.com/support_faq_us.php) "When you power Jawbone on or answer a call, the Noise Shield technology is on. To turn the technology off, press and hold down the Noise Shield Button for three seconds. You will hear a descending tone. To turn the technology on again, press and hold the black Jawbone button for three seconds. You will hear an ascending tone."

Just curious. I only use mine for lengthy calls or when driving, but I can't stand driving with my earpiece in because it dampens the sound of the stereo...

I, too, had trouble fitting it to my ear, until someone here advised to use the Jabra eargels. Bought them at a Verizon store for $3 (set of four) and used one of the long ones. Works like a charm, even though the sound on my end is a bit tinny. Callers on the other end have nothing but good things to say about the sound on their end.

JSanders
12-16-2007, 12:33 AM
By default, the Jawbone has noise-cancellation activated, unless you de-activate it. Did you de-activate it prior to calling your office?

I disengagned the NC during the call, so they could compare the modes. They told me it ridiculously clear with the noise cancellation on.

Jase88
12-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Its nice to finally have a Bluetooth headset which gets the job done...I'm still impressed with my Jawbone, and I've had it several months now.

I just wish it was a bit better with wind....

Helmdawg
12-16-2007, 03:01 PM
I love my jawbone BT, however I just cannot get it to fit the way I like too.

jsntrenkler
12-17-2007, 12:00 AM
I love my jawbone BT, however I just cannot get it to fit the way I like too.

It sure does take some time to get used to. My Motorola H500 was so easy to just slip on my ear in a pinch. That is the only concern I have had with it, I must have big ears or something. But the quality of the product far out weights the ease of putting it on. I love my Jawbone!!

winklle
12-17-2007, 09:04 PM
I too love my jawbone!! I found a new one on eBay for a super low price and free shipping!!

snowskier79
12-17-2007, 09:41 PM
One of my co-workers gave me his as he had a difficult time with the fit; incredible piece of technology as I have done comparisons similar to JSanders (http://www.blackberryforums.com/member.php?u=686), i.e. with friends, co-workers, family, etc. The Jawbone truly is an amazing piece of technology!

Daytripper63
12-18-2007, 11:40 PM
I recently bought one as well and it works great although I have noticed that when I get on a certain stretch of crappy Calif freeway in my Toyota p.u. that the bumpyness of the ride causes it to sound like it is cutting in and out while talking. But that is no fault of the jawbone
I wish I could make the ear volumn a bit louder

oBBsessed
12-19-2007, 10:05 AM
I have one of these, and it's the first BT headset I've had that the people on the other end of the conversation didn't complain about. And it comes in colors too! (My wife has a red one.)

jsntrenkler
12-19-2007, 11:58 AM
I recently bought one as well and it works great although I have noticed that when I get on a certain stretch of crappy Calif freeway in my Toyota p.u. that the bumpyness of the ride causes it to sound like it is cutting in and out while talking. But that is no fault of the jawbone
I wish I could make the ear volumn a bit louder

That has to be frustrating. I know that if I touch the jawbone to adjust it while I am on the phone, people on the other end go "huh?" .. However, if I leave it alone people love how great I sound.

kjaslow
12-21-2007, 02:26 AM
Here's a great tip for Jawbone users... If you don't like the way your Jawbone fits and/or it's not loud enough...

Go find yourself some old Jabra ear gels. Find the one you like, and get ready to make a commitment... Go get a few drops of crazy glue...

Remove the Jawbone eargels entirely. The Jabra ear gel fits perfectly over the "stump" where the normal ear pieces fit in. Set the ear gel to a comfortable position, and fix in place with a couple of drops of crazy glue. The volume must increase by an order of magnitude! And it's much more comfortable. Remove that silly earloop, and you're in business! I've had mine that way for a few months, and love it. I was having trouble getting the thing to stay on comfortably, and found the volume to be way too low. Now, I don't even put the volume up to half, because it's too loud...

dtdt
12-21-2007, 03:33 AM
Here's a great tip for Jawbone users... If you don't like the way your Jawbone fits and/or it's not loud enough...

Go find yourself some old Jabra ear gels. Find the one you like, and get ready to make a commitment... Go get a few drops of crazy glue...

Remove the Jawbone eargels entirely. The Jabra ear gel fits perfectly over the "stump" where the normal ear pieces fit in. Set the ear gel to a comfortable position, and fix in place with a couple of drops of crazy glue. The volume must increase by an order of magnitude! And it's much more comfortable. Remove that silly earloop, and you're in business! I've had mine that way for a few months, and love it. I was having trouble getting the thing to stay on comfortably, and found the volume to be way too low. Now, I don't even put the volume up to half, because it's too loud...

I agree with the Jabra ear gels. I don't find crazy glueing them on as necessary. I tried mine without the earloop, it wasn't as good as with it. From all I've read on these forums, it seems like it all depends on the shape of one's eardrum. None of the JawBone earbuds worked well for my ears. One of the long Jabra ear gels works very well for me. I got them at the Verizon store for $2.99 (4 ear gels).

justin.culp
12-21-2007, 11:07 AM
i have had a jawbone for awhile...i can't even use the thing. the fit is so poor for my ears. i have tried every piece it came with, bending things, etc. nothing works.

jsntrenkler
12-21-2007, 11:09 AM
I noticed that mine does fit a tad loose, but it is still great for me. I think it actually makes it a bit more comfortable for me not having the thing jammed up in my ear.

snowskier79
12-21-2007, 11:30 AM
i have had a jawbone for awhile...i can't even use the thing. the fit is so poor for my ears. i have tried every piece it came with, bending things, etc. nothing works.

Did you try the jabra gels? I am going to purchasing them today and give it a go as I have been using the OEM Jawbone set.

Btw, what happened to your Chuck Norris image? That thing was awesome!

Rhyalus
12-21-2007, 08:20 PM
I too like this headset better than any other that I have had.

I have a weird issue with it, though. When I first got it, the white led did not blink when it was on, which I preferred. One day when I was turning it on, I did something, and now it blinks.

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn this off? There is nothing in the manual about it.

Also, after you get used to this headset, you figure out how to quickly put it on and take it off. You have to sort of rotate it as it fits over the top part of your ear.

Regards,
R

dtdt
12-22-2007, 04:03 AM
I have a weird issue with it, though. When I first got it, the white led did not blink when it was on, which I preferred. One day when I was turning it on, I did something, and now it blinks.

That white led is your nerd alert! j/k, I own one too! That's weird that it wasn't flashing at first; perhaps it kicked on once you gave it a full charge?

jsntrenkler
12-22-2007, 10:18 AM
The first day I had mine the white light didn't blink either, the second day however it did. I actually thought I was losing my mind, I guess not.

PPCMD
12-22-2007, 04:14 PM
I picked up the Jawbone a couple of months ago based on a work event. Our company was hosting a classic car event at our HQ and one of the folks there was on the phone right as someone was doing a burnout. The caller could barely hear them so they used their Jawbone and all was good for the caller, they thought he had gone inside, nope just a jawbone headset.

markhfx
12-22-2007, 05:25 PM

Anyone know where you can buy some Jabra eargels in canada? just the gels not the whole headset?

snowskier79
12-23-2007, 11:40 AM
I picked up the Jawbone a couple of months ago based on a work event. Our company was hosting a classic car event at our HQ and one of the folks there was on the phone right as someone was doing a burnout. The caller could barely hear them so they used their Jawbone and all was good for the caller, they thought he had gone inside, nope just a jawbone headset.

That is a great example of the Jawbone's technology.

jsntrenkler
12-24-2007, 01:12 AM
It truly does make a huge difference, I love mine!

JohnJohn
12-24-2007, 02:38 AM
I enjoy'ed the noise cancellation. However I returned mine due to a long delay.

The great noise cancellation is given to us by a delay in the out bound sound, which is then cleaned. I believe it to be almost 1.5 or even 2 seconds. When answering a business phone that was unacceptable to me. When I would answer the phone I would need to wait 1-2 seconds before saying hello. In some cases I would say Hello to soon and a customer would then say "Hello, are you there?" Creating an awkward moment.

I understand the great noise cancellation is a plus for creating a better experience for customers on the other line, however I could not get over the delay issue.

JSanders
12-24-2007, 08:39 AM
That doesn't make sense, JohnJohn. You said you wait to speak so as to overcome the delay. If the Jawbone is delaying the audio in order to clean it (your audio), waiting wouldn't matter, it would still need to clean your voice audio on the same delay.

The way the Jawbone's noice reduction technology works is that it reads the vibrations from your voice through your 'jawbone' (hence the name) rather than from sound waves. That is why the little white piece of plasti on the unit must touch your face.

By the way, it is at $75 today at ecost.com.

shambasha
12-24-2007, 09:18 AM
can someone please post a picture with their jawbone attached to the jebra eargel, I am having hard time fitting mine.thanks

jsntrenkler
12-24-2007, 09:54 AM
I am with Jsanders on this one JohnJohn ... I don't notice any delay at all. In fact, the technology is fantastic for what it does.

JohnJohn
12-24-2007, 02:32 PM
That doesn't make sense, JohnJohn. You said you wait to speak so as to overcome the delay. If the Jawbone is delaying the audio in order to clean it (your audio), waiting wouldn't matter, it would still need to clean your voice audio on the same delay.

The way the Jawbone's noice reduction technology works is that it reads the vibrations from your voice through your 'jawbone' (hence the name) rather than from sound waves. That is why the little white piece of plasti on the unit must touch your face.

True, I guess my issue was the connection between my device and the Jawbone. I was using it with a BB 8800. I would press the answer button on the phone and say "hello". The person on the other end could not hear the first few seconds of the conversation, therefore missing the "Hello". I eventually just started pressing the answer key then waiting 2 second to say "Hello". It was annoying.

I use the phone or a wired headset now. Glad you all enjoy yours.

donncon
12-24-2007, 03:30 PM
I've also had my Jawbone for a couple of months, and love it. At first I was a bit concerned about the fit, thinking the wider earpiece would work best (with glasses). Turns out the narrower one was the best fit. I use it with the standard round earbud and it fits like a charm. The biggest catch was learning how to put it on and take it off. I have good battery life. I charge it every 3 or 4 days. As almost everyone here has said, the sound is phenomenal. Every bluetooth headset I've had had a 2 second delay before answering, I think the biggest differnce in my Jawbone is that it doesn't beep when it connects as my others did. So I also hit the answer button on the headphone, then wait a second or two until I hear background noise on the other end, then speak. Anyway, I'm another die-hard Jawbone fan.

anthony
12-24-2007, 03:39 PM
I love my Blueant Z9. Smaller than the jawbone, longer talk time, better fit, excellent noise cancellation. BUt bluetooths are very personal. Check out the bluetooth forum on Howardforums.com. Bluetooth Forum (http://howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=201)

Sjjones
12-24-2007, 07:28 PM
[QUOTE=anthony;784483]I love my Blueant Z9. Smaller than the jawbone, longer talk time, better fit, excellent noise cancellation. BUt bluetooths are very personal. Check out the bluetooth forum on Howardforums.com. Bluetooth Forum (http://howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=201)[/QUOTE

I am the owner of a jawbone and recently got the blue ant Z9 also, it fits ME alot better and sound quality is great (its also cheaper)

dheida
12-26-2007, 05:11 PM
This thing sound pretty sweet. Can anybody compare it to the Plantronics 655 or 665? Several people here at the office have and it and really like it but I might recommend this Jawbone to any new Bluetooth users.

wiscaudi
12-27-2007, 01:15 AM
Dudes, has anyone had their jawbone charger pull the whole small black part away from the rest of the unit? Like the whole back portion gets stuck inside the charger? Did I try and pull the charger off wrong (----> Straight Back).

I'm thinkin i'll be headed to AT&T for a warranty exchange. Love it though. The sound sounded very "electronic" to me at first... but after getting used to it real quick realized it was actually crisper and clearer than my 8820 (not that that's any feat).

bunjy
12-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Dudes, has anyone had their jawbone charger pull the whole small black part away from the rest of the unit? Like the whole back portion gets stuck inside the charger? Did I try and pull the charger off wrong (----> Straight Back).

I'm thinkin i'll be headed to AT&T for a warranty exchange. Love it though. The sound sounded very "electronic" to me at first... but after getting used to it real quick realized it was actually crisper and clearer than my 8820 (not that that's any feat).

It's funny that you mention this, because the same thing happened to me. I got my Jawbone through Verizon's online site a couple of days ago. I charged it up and when I tried to remove it, I pulled the thing apart just as you described.

I took it back to Verizon and exchanged it for a new one. I charged that one up, and it got stuck as well. This time it went back to the store so that one of the Verizon techs could pull it apart. They did so successfully. Apparently, you have to pull slightly downward with the curvature of the unit. This helps but it is still difficult.

rowdymoose
12-29-2007, 06:18 PM

From what I've read on their website (and others) the jawbone works by picking up vibrations from your jawbone (hence the name). However, do any of you that like the jawbone have facial hair--stubble or a beard? I do from time to time and wonder if that will affect the call quality if the piece that touches my face is rubbing on the facial hair.

Thanks!
Russ

PPCMD
12-30-2007, 02:33 PM
No beard here, so I can't say if it interferes but it does seem plausible.

stevew
12-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Facial hair should not affect its performance...it doesn't on mine anyway.

jsntrenkler
01-03-2008, 09:42 AM
I have heard from people that have a beard that the Jawbone doesn't work that great for them. I cannot confirm this, because I gotta shave ;-)

justin.culp
01-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Did you try the jabra gels? I am going to purchasing them today and give it a go as I have been using the OEM Jawbone set.

Btw, what happened to your Chuck Norris image? That thing was awesome!

I just ordered some gels....hopefully they will work for me. thanks for the heads-up.

BTW.....i changed my avatar when i was selling my 8800....now i am blackberryless....:(

markhfx
01-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Can someone tell me where I can order some gels from? I have not been able to locate any here in Halifax

snowskier79
01-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Can someone tell me where I can order some gels from? I have not been able to locate any here in Halifax

Ebay . . . or search the Internet for a merchant.

dtdt
01-06-2008, 02:17 AM

Got mine at a Verizon store...maybe they are available on their website??

Corman
01-06-2008, 02:21 PM
I just used the jabra website under accessories. Free shipping too.

PaulSch
01-07-2008, 12:44 PM
If anyone is feeling adventurous, I just did this over the weekend and it worked great! Custom fit and the sound is loud! Need to lower the volume!

http://cre.ations.net/creation/create-your-own-noise-blocking-in-ear-headphones

JSanders
01-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Did what? that link does not work

JSanders
01-07-2008, 01:25 PM

Jabra MiniGels (http://web.jabra.com/JabraCMS/NA/EN/MainMenu/Products/Accessories/JabraMiniGels/Jabraminigels.htm)

PaulSch
01-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Did what? that link does not work

I just tried it again and it worked. May take a few clicks! DIY Custom made ear piece.

stevenmz
01-17-2008, 09:32 PM
For anyone interested here is a link for a car charger for the Jawbone. Only $7.99 with free shipping! I like the idea of charging as needed while on the go. Also (for us older guys) it eliminates the annoying habit of leaving the Jawbone on the charger in your home as you pull away in the car. arghhhhh!

Accessories for BlueAnt by N1 wireless (http://www.n1wireless.com/Accessories-Accessories_for_BlueAnt.html)