PDA

View Full Version : verizon 8830 or TM curve

carmen
12-15-2007, 03:44 PM
I am new to this site and BB so excuse me if I am doing this incorrectly. Former Palm user (and hopefully never again Palm user) with LONG term with VZ. I have tried the Pearl and currently on trial with 8830. Love the BB concept but Pearl was too small of key board (SureType??) and I can't afford to continue to miss calls due to low ring tone and lack of viberate on 8830.

I have been searching this site and simular ones for days and have caught all the downloads, re-file, redownload info but I feel that I have spent enough time trying to just work BB system let alone try to look for (normal/non-music) ringtones, download, switch files etc.

So my question is: being a completely happy VZ customer and afraid to make a move to TM for the Curve can anyone assure me of TM service and area coverage? I have NEVER had coverage problems (even in other countries) or service problems with VZ can I be assured the same with TM?

Thanx in advance for the advice......

vZwire
12-15-2007, 04:05 PM
and lack of viberate on 8830.

So my question is: being a completely happy VZ customer and afraid to make a move to TM for the Curve can anyone assure me of TM service and area coverage? I have NEVER had coverage problems (even in other countries) or service problems with VZ can I be assured the same with TM?

Thanx in advance for the advice......

The 8830 does vibrate.

NEVER, EVER leave one company to go to another to chase after a device. Especially if your coverage and service have been great. You will regret it.

li2327
12-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (7130e: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Well I've had the verizon 8830 which is an excellent device. Now I have the tmobile curve. It all comes down to your needs. Also which carrier gives you a better signal. I got great coverage from both but what got me to switch was pricing. Tmobile has the best data prices. And the curve has an awesome camera which I use more than I thought I would.

midwestguy2007
12-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/189)

I have us cell I can only suggest the 8830 you can download any MP3 song to sd card. The ringtone can be very loud....typing on 8830 very fast as well

Dubdub
12-15-2007, 05:16 PM
You are really the only one to answer that question. You need to look at where you will use the device - where you live, work, travel and play and determine which carrier provides the best service in those areas. Talk to friends, family, co-workers etc. You really can't rely on those of us here especially since you didn't say where you live.

In general terms, Verizon and AT&T have the best coverage. Sprint is third followed by T-Mo.

IMHO, if you have never had a problem with Verizon, why are you looking to switch? Stay with them. If it ain't broke, don't even try to fix it.

JRSCCivic98
12-15-2007, 05:33 PM
NEVER, EVER leave one company to go to another to chase after a device. Especially if your coverage and service have been great. You will regret it.

Spoken like a true VZW trained monkey. No, don't leave us... we have the best network coverage. While that may be true, how about you loosen up that hold on the crippled handsets you tightwads!!??!?!?!?!

TeritaM
12-15-2007, 05:42 PM
I went from Verizon to T-Mobile in 2003 and have not looked back. If you live/work in NYC you won't see much of a difference in coverage/dropped calls

carmen
12-15-2007, 05:57 PM
I live in MI (metro detroit area) but travel often. I really don't want to leave VZ but the phone selections are slim. I really like the 8830 and would love to stick with it but I own a bar so vibrate is a MUST and this phone barely vibrates and there are times when I am in my house (which isn't big in any way) I can't even hear it ring when in another room. I have tried to download mp3 but it doesn't seem to do the job. I also looked at the VZ update but I am already running the latest version on my phone.

Dubdub
12-15-2007, 11:49 PM
A cool phone does you no good if you don't have service.

stevenmz
12-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Spoken like a true VZW trained monkey. No, don't leave us... we have the best network coverage. While that may be true, how about you loosen up that hold on the crippled handsets you tightwads!!??!?!?!?!

I thought this was an advice/opinion forum. Responses like that don't encourage fellow users to contribute. Personal attacks have no place here. Perhaps you know this person but your response was childish at best. It contributed NOTHING to the question asked. Nice job. As for the question from Carmen, choice of a wireless provider is just that, a choice. Perhaps you should test drive the Curve with TMobile and see if the coverage in your region meets your needs. If so, your decision is an easy one. Good luck.

penguin3107
12-16-2007, 07:53 AM

While I usually don't agree with the sentiments of Mr. Civic ... I have to agree with him here.

This comment just stinks of VZW "brainwashing".

There's often plenty of good reasons to leave one wireless carrier for another. Going after a fully-featured device as opposed to sticking with one that is crippled is certainly a legitimate reason.

Verizon is not the only carrier with good coverage. There's very few instances where you'd ONLY get VZW coverage in a particular geographical area.

rambo47
12-16-2007, 10:15 AM
I thought this was an advice/opinion forum. Responses like that don't encourage fellow users to contribute. Personal attacks have no place here. Perhaps you know this person but your response was childish at best. It contributed NOTHING to the question asked. Nice job. As for the question from Carmen, choice of a wireless provider is just that, a choice. Perhaps you should test drive the Curve with TMobile and see if the coverage in your region meets your needs. If so, your decision is an easy one. Good luck.

That's a pretty common complaint about Verizon, though it could have been phrased a bit more nicely. Perfectly valid point, and one worth noting: if you get a Verizon phone, prepare for some of the functions to be crippled. Do your research first. Imagine being on the fence about going with Verizon, and the deciding factor is built-in GPS on a new phone they offer. You get your Verizon phone only to find the GPS is crippled. :x Sure would have been nice to have been warned.

midwestguy2007
12-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Also consider that providers share networks while roaming (prl). Residing in the greater chicago area most of my friends have t mobile with bb with few complaints. I'm sure vzw is good as well, it may come down to features vs. price. Are you going to be on BES or BIS?

Dubdub
12-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Leaving a carrier that has provided excellent service over the years just to get a cool phone from another carrier who may or may not have the service you need is not the way to make the decision. One must do their homework. A cool phone with no service is just a cool (and expensive) piece of junque, IMHO.

JRSCCivic98
12-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Also consider that providers share networks while roaming (prl).

You need to point out that roaming for the different carriers is technology limited. Which means that a CDMA phone cannot roam on a GSM network and vice versa.

midwestguy2007
12-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Good point. Being on a cdma network my prl(preferred roaming list) would not include gsm carriers tmob or at and t....