PDA

View Full Version : Why is my 8820 so slow?

staciblevins
12-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi, I just traded in my Curve 8310 for an 8820. I love the looks of it, and I hope to enjoy the WIFI. But I have noticed it is running MUCH slower than my Curve. About every fifth of sixth letter I type leads it to stop and show the hourglass. Even scrolling through applications causes it to do this after I scroll through one or two. I'm really missing the super fast speed of my Curve (which I refuse to tell my husband after begging for this upgrade, but I'm jealous to use his Curve now). Anyone know what causes this major slowdown or how I can fix it? I don't have much downloaded onto the device memory (except for the AT&T craplications I would love to get rid of).

wiscaudi
12-16-2007, 12:01 AM
I rock an 8820 and have many 3rd party applications installed. Definitely wouldnt consider it "slow." I've never used an 8310 so I can't compare it to that (I surmise the processors are the same, as well as the memory capacities).

Have you pulled the battery while the device is on? That'll help clean up some memory issues and such. Other than that, just check what applications are running (alt+esc) other than the stock set that always run.

muck
12-16-2007, 12:34 AM
my 8820 is a lot slower than my curve also.
curve seems to be a lot snappier.
maybe the curve os has more things saved in memory as theres a lot less free memory than on my 8820 with the same amount of programs installed.

its no where near as slow as yours tho.

greggebhardt
12-16-2007, 08:12 AM
You got to have crap running it the background as the 8820 has more memory than the Curve. See what is running and shut it down. Pull the battery. My 8820 ran just as fast as the Curve as it should .

Think twice about downloading what you do not use. Dump the games and PTT and do a reset once a week.

untjoker
12-16-2007, 04:23 PM
You got to have crap running it the background as the 8820 has more memory than the Curve. See what is running and shut it down. Pull the battery. My 8820 ran just as fast as the Curve as it should .

Think twice about downloading what you do not use. Dump the games and PTT and do a reset once a week.

More memory than the curve? That's the first I've heard of that, unless you mean more "available" memory. Both have 64MB Flash

midwestguy2007
12-16-2007, 06:13 PM
my 8820 is a lot slower than my curve also.
curve seems to be a lot snappier.
maybe the curve os has more things saved in memory as theres a lot less free memory than on my 8820 with the same amount of programs installed.

its no where near as slow as yours tho.

I have an 8830 which is basically the cdma version of of the 8820. I would recommend using 'memory up' app from emobistudio. The awesome graphics of the 8820 and 8830 use up a lot of memory especially if your web browser is set on 'high for graphic images

SheepDog
12-16-2007, 09:52 PM
I just installed memoryup and I am amazed at the difference!

Everything is instantaneous now. I havent tried it with all my apps, but the few I have is noticable. I might want to register this one!

fxstsb
03-24-2008, 06:50 PM

With the identical programs loaded from my 8800 the 8820 hesitates. Now, I just got it and it was a refurb from ATT. I would have to wonder if the available memory is the same on both machines noting the WiFi has to add to the overhead.

greggebhardt
03-25-2008, 05:21 AM
With the identical programs loaded from my 8800 the 8820 hesitates. Now, I just got it and it was a refurb from ATT. I would have to wonder if the available memory is the same on both machines noting the WiFi has to add to the overhead.

I have 34.4 Memory Free before and after pulling the battery. I do not even bother to pull my 8820 battery any more as it does not help! My 8820 is WAY faster than my Curve. If I do not pull my battery on the Curve at least every few days it slows down. I do gain alot of memory back when doing a battery pull on the curve! The Curve is a big LEAKER on memory!

nikolaos
03-25-2008, 12:47 PM
I am really very frustrated with how slow my 8820 is.. All I have is XM radio, Jivetalk and google maps on it and a 2 gig media card that is empty and I have to pull the battery like 4-5 times a day.

BulletsBob
03-25-2008, 02:46 PM
I have an 8830 which is basically the cdma version of of the 8820. I would recommend using 'memory up' app from emobistudio. The awesome graphics of the 8820 and 8830 use up a lot of memory especially if your web browser is set on 'high for graphic images
I have been trying to install MemoryUp onto my 8820. The install says it was successful, but when I click on the icon the phone freezes. Can anyone help?

BulletsBob
03-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Fixed it. The files from download.com are not for the BB. Had to go to handango.com for the BB files.

robert_lee
07-03-2008, 04:59 AM
Great, Thanks for the recommendation. I will take a try too.