PDA

View Full Version : Heresy and Blasphemy!

drkenrich
12-16-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm a newbie owner of a 7290. I don't get on the Internet, check emails or do anything except make rare phone calls (heresy!). What I wanted was a phone with a few games, eBook capable, and the ability to use a fairly simple document editor with basic italics, bold, underline, justification, size, etc. (just like this posting editor) when I travel several times a year. IOW a tiny computer that also serves as a phone. (Blasphemy!)

First problem - I've tried installing several times, uninstalled, reinstalled, clean installed, etc. (I'm a 25+ yr experienced computer user) the operating and desktop software manager. It does fine for backup/restore, application loader, sync, but the Media Manager can't find the phone. I followed the directions from RIM exactly while on the phone with them to do the installation. Why does the software find the phone for the other utilities but not for Media Manger? What do I need to do to be able to see and transfer things to the phone in file format? The Desktop Manager is the same way, it won't find the phone.

Second problem - I don't want to pay $99.99 for eDesk and all it's bells and whistles when all I want is a simple (preferably free) basic editor. Any suggestions on what and where to find one?

Thanks,
drkenrich

penguin3107
12-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Breaking Ball: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You're out of luck on both issues you bring up.

The 7290 has no media capabilities due to its older OS (4.1.x) and limited device RAM. You need 4.2 which isn't available for your device.

There are also no free word processing apps for the BlackBerry.

I think you bought the wrong device.

A palm or windows mobile device would be better for your needs.

Entropy666
12-17-2007, 11:38 AM
I second the recommendation for a Windows Mobile device for editing files BUT]

Ebook - Search for Mobipocket
Games - Search for Magmic
Editing files - Search for Dynoplex (Expensive)
Check out txtNotes for a barebones text editor Dollars 5 Complete txtNotes for Blackberry 8800, 8300 and 8100 (http://www.dollars5.com/plete/blackberry/txtnotes-for-blackberry-pearl-8100/)

If you want a media player you will need to get a newer device. You may just be better off getting a windows mobile device for editing files. I have tried editing files on the go before and it is just a pure pain in the ARSE

drkenrich
12-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks to both Penguin and Entropy for your help and suggestions. I will check into a different unit and try the links you suggested.

drkenrich