PDA

View Full Version : A couple of qustions from a Newbie!

bwhyte
12-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Hi, I am new the BB world and just have a few questions that hopefully someone here will be able to help me answer!

How do I use the Desktop Manager? I just got a new computer with Vista Home Premium on there and I want to know if I can take all the contacts on my phone and upload them into my computer in my address book? I basically would like everything on my BB to be entered in my computer (notes, calender, address book, etc...), is that possible? If so, I have no idea how to do it.
Also I keep hearing that everyone syncs with Outlook, but my computer doesnt have Outlook it has Windows Mail, will that work?

Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

John Clark
12-17-2007, 09:55 PM
I think the latest Desktop Manager 4.3 supports sync with Windows Vista PIM data. I read that in an article on the blackberry.com website.

Dubdub
12-17-2007, 11:51 PM
I think it is better to use Desktop Manager 4.2 SP2 as DM 4.3 is still a bit unstable from what I have heard.

John Clark
12-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Not syncing with my Outlook 2000 was one of the reasons I thought it was unstable. Then I learned it was on purpose. *shrugs*

zerog46
12-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Not syncing with my Outlook 2000 was one of the reasons I thought it was unstable. Then I learned it was on purpose. *shrugs*

Do you know if it works with Office 2003, I still have not tried it.

Dubdub
12-18-2007, 07:40 AM
I would still use DM 4.2 SP2. Have seen several people with problems gettign 4.3 to work correctly.

John, Outlook 2000 is also plenty buggy and fickle, so it might not have all been user error. One thing, you need to keep the delete file pretty much cleaned out.

bwhyte
12-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Does anyone know where I can get step by step instructions on how to use the DM? I installed it last night to back up my phone, and when i hit the back up button it saved my info to a file. when i viewd the file, it was hard to read, everything was out of alignment.
also, if i want to add names to my address book on the computer, where do i am them at? My email has a section for contacts, do i do it there. if i do, how do i get the new information that i added to my phone?
I am really sorry for the stupid questions, I am not very good at this technical stuff.
Your help is much appreciated.

bwhyte
12-18-2007, 05:00 PM
can anyone help or provide a link to go to for instructions?

John Clark
12-19-2007, 02:18 AM
I would still use DM 4.2 SP2. Have seen several people with problems gettign 4.3 to work correctly.

John, Outlook 2000 is also plenty buggy and fickle, so it might not have all been user error. One thing, you need to keep the delete file pretty much cleaned out.

There is a RIM KB article about Outlook 2000 support being removed from Desktop Manager 4.3. That's why the option to sync with Outlook isn't there if you have Outlook 2000. They are phasing out Outlook 2000, I suppose.

John Clark
12-19-2007, 02:19 AM
can anyone help or provide a link to go to for instructions?

You need to use one of the supported programs. Outlook is the most common. If you use DM 4.2 then Outlook 2000 is still supported. However, DM 4.3 supports some others that 4.2 doesn't.