PDA

View Full Version : VMWare and Device OS Updates

ashleyneiltaylor
12-18-2007, 08:45 AM
I'm currently running VMWare on my laptop and have the blackberry software installed inside one of the Virtual Machines.

So I decided to load the new orange handheld OS for my 8120.......... it gets as far as erasing the device and then it loses connection and never reconnects.

Perhaps it wasn't wise to do this from within VMWare, but if nobody made these mistakes, we would never know.

Incidentally, have managed to reload the OS using "loader.exe /nojvm"

Has anyone managed to successfully upgrade a device from within VMWare?

dmacd
12-18-2007, 09:01 AM
I'm currently running VMWare on my laptop and have the blackberry software installed inside one of the Virtual Machines.

So I decided to load the new orange handheld OS for my 8120.......... it gets as far as erasing the device and then it loses connection and never reconnects.

Perhaps it wasn't wise to do this from within VMWare, but if nobody made these mistakes, we would never know.

Incidentally, have managed to reload the OS using "loader.exe /nojvm"

Has anyone managed to successfully upgrade a device from within VMWare?

I have a BB 8820 and am using VMWare. I can connect with the BB but have noticed quite a few USB problems in the past with both VMWare and Parallels.

I am currently using VMWare Version 1.1 (62573). Because of problems in the past I have set VMWare NOT to automatically recognize the BB but instead connect it to the Mac first, wait until the Mac recognizes the BB, then select in VMWare 'Virtual Machine'->USD->Connect to BB. Its a pain but it seems to work for me.

You might want to start by checking to see if you have the latest VMWare.

ashleyneiltaylor
12-18-2007, 10:48 AM
I have the latest VMWare Workstation version 6...

dmacd
12-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Oops.. Sorry, I forgot that VMWare make several products. I was referring to VMWare Fusion, not VMWare Workstation.

daphne
12-19-2007, 01:00 AM
VMWare Workstation 6 is supposed to have full support for USB devices, right? I haven't upgraded to 6 yet. VMware has forums -- you might check there to see if others running Workstation 6 are having problems with USB devices.

VMware Communities: Community: VMware Workstation (http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/desktop/workstation)

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to install Desktop Manager in a VM instead of the host machine? Might be easier if you installed DM on your host machine. 8-)

ashleyneiltaylor
12-19-2007, 08:19 AM
VMWare Workstation 6 is supposed to have full support for USB devices, right? I haven't upgraded to 6 yet. VMware has forums -- you might check there to see if others running Workstation 6 are having problems with USB devices.

VMware Communities: Community: VMware Workstation (http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/desktop/workstation)

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to install Desktop Manager in a VM instead of the host machine? Might be easier if you installed DM on your host machine. 8-)

I have it installed in a VM instead of the host, simply that due to development work I do, I decided it would be easier to keep the base OS fresh and take regular snapshots of the VM. So all my apps are in the VM. Makes it easier to rollback to a clean OS. ie using it for DR purposes.

USB does work, I have checkpoint secureclient talking to a USB token and that is all installed in the VM.

fusky
12-19-2007, 09:27 AM

Before DM 4.3 was released, I was using Notes 8, which didn't sync with DM 4.2. So I used a VM with Notes 7 to sync up my contacts and stuff.

daphne
12-19-2007, 08:16 PM
I have it installed in a VM instead of the host, simply that due to development work I do, I decided it would be easier to keep the base OS fresh and take regular snapshots of the VM. So all my apps are in the VM. Makes it easier to rollback to a clean OS. ie using it for DR purposes.

USB does work, I have checkpoint secureclient talking to a USB token and that is all installed in the VM.

Interesting. I know someone who uses separate vms for different things -- one just for online banking, one just for regular web browsing, one for testing new apps, etc. I use my vms for testing malware, so I don't do anything that requires stability, and I don't do anything that involves sensitive or personal info.

Any luck yet with loading the new OS?

ashleyneiltaylor
12-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Interesting. I know someone who uses separate vms for different things -- one just for online banking, one just for regular web browsing, one for testing new apps, etc. I use my vms for testing malware, so I don't do anything that requires stability, and I don't do anything that involves sensitive or personal info.

Any luck yet with loading the new OS?

Yeah, just used my old laptop (no vmware) and loaded it up using loader.exe /nojvm