PDA

View Full Version : Am I The Only One Unsatisfied With....

Crso
12-18-2007, 02:12 PM
The Today Theme?

I have been searching for some sort of task management software for quite some time now. I am currently using pocketday and it is absolutely horrible compared to what was available on the Windows platform (which is horrible).

I came from using Windows Mobile on a Treo 700wx and I have been trying to find software like SPB Diary Spb Diary - Pocket PC Products - Spb Software House (http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/diary/?en)

Is there anything at all that even comes close besides pocketday?

I just want to have a default screen that plugs into my calendar and tasks so I can have a quickshot look when I pick up my phone.

I started to use the BB Tasks and Calendar and those are bad... very bad. The tasks don't even show a date due unless you go into the actual task.

Am I the only one?

Crso
12-18-2007, 08:09 PM
I guess everyone likes that crappy BB proprietary software?

What a shame.

penguin3107
12-18-2007, 08:21 PM
You're perfectly entitled to your opinion.
So what if no one agrees with you. If you don't like the theme, you don't like the theme. No biggie. Just use a different theme.

NJBlackBerry
12-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Tasks are a very emotional item. Periodically, someone comes on and dislikes the rather rudimentary handling of tasks.

Some people don't use Tasks at all. Never. I actually don't install Tasks to save space on the BB.

Different strokes for different folks.

blakeatl
12-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Yeah! :smile:

Dawg
12-18-2007, 08:27 PM
I guess everyone likes that crappy BB proprietary software?

What a shame.

what a shame you had to double post to get activity in your thread.

I dont use tasks either

SheepDog
12-18-2007, 08:32 PM
I used to be very task oriented and had list after list all over my world.

I tossed out the tasks and am much happier now even if I dont remember to pick up the scripts and milk once in a while!

MaxT32
12-18-2007, 08:32 PM
I started to use the BB Tasks and Calendar and those are bad... very bad. The tasks don't even show a date due unless you go into the actual task.

Am I the only one?

Windows app suck if you love to watch something crash over and over get a windows product.
Now if you want a device that you can really depend on RIM is what you need.

TeritaM
12-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Tasks are a very emotional item. Periodically, someone comes on and dislikes the rather rudimentary handling of tasks.

Some people don't use Tasks at all. Never. I actually don't install Tasks to save space on the BB.

Different strokes for different folks.

there is a way to get tasks off the bb? do share.

NJBlackBerry
12-18-2007, 09:21 PM
When you install/upgrade the Handheld OS, you simply remove the check mark next to Tasks and it won't be installed (or will be removed). I also don't install the online Help system - same way.

zerog46
12-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Remove them with the DM.

TeritaM
12-18-2007, 09:24 PM
so I have to reinstall the os to do it? will it be replaced when I restore my data? or can I do that selective restore thing?

eta: thanks zerog, going to try that first.

NJBlackBerry
12-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Done properly, all it does is remove Tasks. You don't have to reinstall or upgrade.

lb623
12-20-2007, 01:25 AM
hey there - i completely agree, the task management software for BB is pretty un-fulfilling. as someone who relies upon tasks to do nearly everything (i JUST switched to a curve from a "vintage" palm tungsten this month, save your laughter and/or applause...), i've been really disappointed with the software available to bb users.

i sync out of necessity with Outlook, and if i'm on my curve, i haven't been able to check off recurring tasks without gumming them up royally.

if anyone has any options to the software mentioned thus far (aside from ditching tasks, not likely, ;), i'm all ears too.

The Today Theme?

I have been searching for some sort of task management software for quite some time now. I am currently using pocketday and it is absolutely horrible compared to what was available on the Windows platform (which is horrible).

I came from using Windows Mobile on a Treo 700wx and I have been trying to find software like SPB Diary Spb Diary - Pocket PC Products - Spb Software House (http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/diary/?en)

Is there anything at all that even comes close besides pocketday?

I just want to have a default screen that plugs into my calendar and tasks so I can have a quickshot look when I pick up my phone.

Am I the only one?

BallHawk3
12-20-2007, 01:51 AM
I used tasks, not as much as I used too.

It works fine for me! I have my tasks set to show in the calendar. It's pretty simple, the reminders are good and I never miss a thing. (Do you have task enabled to show in calendar, maybe that will help?).

Maybe you should be more specific in what you need. SPB Diary seems to be a third party application. So I have no clue what it is or what it does, and I wouldn't know the difference between that and the task feature in the blackberry.

*edit* Judging from the screen shot, it looks like its the equivalent of the today theme, it puts your calendar on your home sceen. What is it that the today theme and task lack for you?

lb623
12-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Hi BallHawk3,

SPB Diary looks great, bummer it's only for Windows software.

I think it's more an ease of use thing for me - the Palm task software (referring to the basic, out of the box task application) was simple, easy to scan, categorize, and it sync'ed automatically with Outlook. Easy to set up, easy to create tasks away from the PC, and easy to check off is what I am looking for. The bundled tasks app for BB syncs okay with Outlook, but I am running into problems with the many recurring weekly tasks that I have. Also this is definitely more aesthetic than anything else, but I find the BB tasks interface so lo-fi! It's like emulating a terminal from 1983, but in color!

I'm just hoping for something clean-looking, Outlook-compatible, and easy to use, and can't believe some awesome developer(s) haven't cranked one out yet!

allen2oo3
12-20-2007, 11:18 AM
webIS is currently working on pocket informant for BB. they say i'll be ready before 2008. nobody knows exactly what it'll be like for BB but here's a link to the ppc version. (http://www.pocketinformant.com/products_info.php?p_id=pi)

and a link to the forums discussing PI for BB (http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=11457)

Nickster248
12-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Windows app suck if you love to watch something crash over and over get a windows product.
Now if you want a device that you can really depend on RIM is what you need.
You are missing the whole point of the discussion.:oops: 3rd party apps for Windows based smartphones are far superior to anything created for the BB. I have been using BB's now for a couple of years and love them, but the truth is the truth....applications for the BB have a long way to go before they can measure up to any made for Windows, or especially Palm based smartphones.

WebIS is apparently coming out with Pocket Informant for the BB, and also DataViz is creating Documents to Go for the BB.:smile: That will surely be welcomed additions for the BB devices,(y) but we still have a long way to go.

Oh, and as for the RIM's dependability...I notice you did not mention the myriad of RIM outages over the past year or so. ;-)

Nickster248
12-20-2007, 11:50 AM
there is a way to get tasks off the bb? do share.
You should have asked your question on a separate new thread, otherwise you are potentially hijacking this thread because your question is far removed from what the original Poster had asked.:?

Dubdub
12-20-2007, 12:08 PM
If it is that much of an issue, maybe you need to go back to your WM device?

PPCMD
12-20-2007, 01:29 PM
I don't use task very often if at all. But I have liked PI and used it a lot on my WinMobile devices with very positive results. If you check out the link below you can see what the PI for BB is shaping up to be. You may need to register on the forums.
Pocket Informant For Blackberry Pictures - WebIS, Inc. Customer Forums (http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=11814)

Crso
12-21-2007, 09:55 PM
You are missing the whole point of the discussion.:oops: 3rd party apps for Windows based smartphones are far superior to anything created for the BB. I have been using BB's now for a couple of years and love them, but the truth is the truth....applications for the BB have a long way to go before they can measure up to any made for Windows, or especially Palm based smartphones.

WebIS is apparently coming out with Pocket Informant for the BB, and also DataViz is creating Documents to Go for the BB.:smile: That will surely be welcomed additions for the BB devices,(y) but we still have a long way to go.

Oh, and as for the RIM's dependability...I notice you did not mention the myriad of RIM outages over the past year or so. ;-)

This is the answer I was looking for. So it isn't just me, whew...

To all of you with the snide remarks and to those that removed "tasks", obviously you don't use or need them so you really have no idea where I am coming from.

Yes, I am a WM user for years and rely on tasks rather heavily. I am an operations manager and have a ton of notes and reports to file.

SPB diary is EXACTLY like the BB today theme but the BB today theme is a joke if it even displays properly. I cannot stand when my calendar displays past items and it happens a lot. It's so annoying that I don't even bother to find out why anymore.

If email wasn't so important to me and if I didn't get full BB/internet service for 10 a month, my BB would be trashed for a WM device again. I kept my WM devices running uncluttered and fast so my reboots weren't that annoying or that often.

Now pocket informant is something I am definitely interested in and is just what I am looking for. I bet it comes out in 2 years or so...

We'll see where BB is in a year and then it may be decision time again...

TeritaM
12-22-2007, 12:29 AM

rambo47
12-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Check out ToDoMatrix from RexWireless. (http://www.rexwireless.com) It's a paid app but it's the cat's bollocks! I'm using IdeaMatrix and wonder how I ever got along without it.

Blackberry third-party apps are in their infancy relative to WM or Palm, but they're coming on strong. Search at Handango.com for some aftermarket apps.

jsntrenkler
12-22-2007, 10:14 AM
This is the answer I was looking for. So it isn't just me, whew...

To all of you with the snide remarks and to those that removed "tasks", obviously you don't use or need them so you really have no idea where I am coming from.

Yes, I am a WM user for years and rely on tasks rather heavily. I am an operations manager and have a ton of notes and reports to file.

SPB diary is EXACTLY like the BB today theme but the BB today theme is a joke if it even displays properly. I cannot stand when my calendar displays past items and it happens a lot. It's so annoying that I don't even bother to find out why anymore.

If email wasn't so important to me and if I didn't get full BB/internet service for 10 a month, my BB would be trashed for a WM device again. I kept my WM devices running uncluttered and fast so my reboots weren't that annoying or that often.

Now pocket informant is something I am definitely interested in and is just what I am looking for. I bet it comes out in 2 years or so...

We'll see where BB is in a year and then it may be decision time again...

I am waiting for Pocket informant as well. Hopefully it won't be a two year wait.

princessmaryann
12-28-2007, 03:16 PM
I thought that I was the only one out there too with this same problem! I LOVED spd diary on my widows pda, but I like the sleek size and cheaper data plan of the pearl. I want my tasks to be displayed on my today screen. I do not want to go into another screen. I actually went to a pda/smartphone to help me keep up w/ tasks and appointments. I need to see the tasks everytime I pick up my phone to help remember. I also hate the pocket day. It looks very plain and is not appealing. It does not work reliably. I also hate that texts that I clear out out of the pocket day screen remain on the pocket day screen until I clear them out too. I have searched for probably 100+ hours online trying to find something else. I do not like any of the other task mangement software programs I have found.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know if you find something. I am begging someone to invent something. I agree that windows software is way more appealing. And it must be some man than does not ever have to multi-task that does not want a task list!!!

princessmaryann
12-28-2007, 10:41 PM
I am waiting for Pocket informant as well. Hopefully it won't be a two year wait.[/QUOTE
On the pocket Informant website, the president states that it should be out for public beta testing in a couple of weeks hopefully. However, he also replied to my question and said that PI for BB will not allow tasks to be listed on today screen on initial 1.0 version - that this would come later in an update.

princessmaryann
12-28-2007, 10:43 PM
On the pocket Informant website, the president states that it should be out for public beta testing in a couple of weeks hopefully. However, he also replied to my question and said that PI for BB will not allow tasks to be listed on today screen on initial 1.0 version - that this would come later in an update.[/QUOTE]

Crso
12-30-2007, 12:52 AM
I think we should get married and both go back to using windows...

Now I'm having a problem because the memepad is limited to a certain amound of characters!!!

I think the BB's are only good for push email and brickbreaker. I'm even sick of the browsers...

Dawg
12-30-2007, 06:55 AM
I think we should get married and both go back to using windows...

Now I'm having a problem because the memepad is limited to a certain amound of characters!!!

I think the BB's are only good for push email and brickbreaker. I'm even sick of the browsers...

Thats why there are other devices on the market, Blackberrys arent for everybody. To me a WM/Palm device isnt good for anything but resets and hand ups and wipe and restarts.

Eddie8
12-30-2007, 08:46 AM
I don't think the calender is too bad.It seems to work good for me.

princessmaryann
12-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Finally someone that understands my problems! Everyone talks about how great blackberry devices function and how much they love them. I am really trying to love my device too.

I do not think that pocket informant is going to be the answer to our problems - at least not until they do several updates. You should go to their website and see the blogs that I have entered. You may have to create account w/ them to view. However, the president does seem interested in developing software that meets the needs. Maybe if more than one person voices the same problem it will help our cause!!!

Blackberry Questions - WebIS, Inc. Customer Forums (http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=11457&st=165&#entry65775)

I have not run into a memo pad problem yet. I feel that I am battling 2 sides. I loved my samsung i760. I only had it a few weeks before I traded it for the pearl (during my 30 day trial w/ verizon), so I did not have to reset it. Maybe if I would have kept it for while, I would better appreciate the easier maintenance and reliability of the blackberry.The main reason I traded was the size. Bigger is not always better!

I also like the increased battery life of the blackberry, and of course the push e-mail. However, my life does not require that I get e-mails immediately - it's just nice. I actually would rather have spb diary than immediate e-mail.

So, the hunt for the perfect phone goes on. I want a pda that's thin, light, reliable, with camera, immediate e-mail, good battery life, easy task/calender management listed on home screen, and runs on the verizon network. I mean is this really to much to ask?

PPCMD
12-30-2007, 02:27 PM
WebIS does offer great applications and when PI for BB comes out in 1.0 fashion it will be a solid place to start. If they waited until they had all of the features everyone wanted they wouldn't get it out the door. I would expect a 1.0 release followed by several updates in short order.

I use FlexWallet for BB and worked put in about a bug issue, did a few tests, log reports, more tests and it runs like it should and the updated features add improved speed.

I think the real question is does RIM support changes to the Today Theme that would allow others to plug into it. Maybe the issues are with RIM and not the software developers.

SheepDog
12-30-2007, 05:26 PM
I am surprised that people that are so unhappy with everything BB would bother to use them. Life is too short!

If you are happier with glitzy apps that you have to reboot multiple times and an os that is all show and little go them PLEASE go back to Windoze!

People who love BB have seen all that with Palm trash or Windoze Mobile and don't want to hear about it anymore!

Just close your mouth please!- in the nicest possible way of course!

NickiJ
12-30-2007, 05:43 PM
As a WM5 user on an IPAQ 6950 who has just moved over to a BB Curve 8320, and enjoying the experience I understand where you're coming from.

BB still has a way to go in terms of similar apps but I think if email is not your main need you should stick with WM. I too used Spb Diary, and the great Agenda One - for my day to day task management - I rely on tasks heavily.
However, the email on WM, was totally flakey to the extent that I hardly ever used it, it was so touch and go. Forget about "push" email, which is where the BB is streets ahead. My programs never crashed, but Activesynch was very temperamental.

I've just purchased ToDo Matrix and IdeaMatrix by Rex Wireless and I actually like the way tasks are organized. Yes I have to go into another screen, but these two applications are very powerful for even the most avid task meister. I also have Pocket DayProfessional which I like. Not terribly thrilled with the interface but it does the job and I can live with it. Nothing comes close to SPB Diary yet, but who knows? Maybe with enough requests and time that will change. There is definitely a market for developing more productivity apps for Blackberry. For now it is a question of priorities, and e-mail rules. If seeing your tasks on the Today screen is a must for you now, then my suggestion is to stick with Windows. After just two weeks I don't think I could go back myself. But good luck finding the perfect phone. I don't think it exists :)

rambo47
12-30-2007, 07:28 PM
I was never thrilled with PocketDay. It was always a bit flakey, needing to have the connection settings refreshed or causing a freeze here and there. Plus the text was sometimes jumbled on the main screen no matter how I changed the fonts. IdeaMatrix, and ToDoMatrix for heavy taskers, seem like the best solutions going.

NickiJ
12-30-2007, 08:00 PM
I was never thrilled with PocketDay. It was always a bit flakey, needing to have the connection settings refreshed or causing a freeze here and there. Plus the text was sometimes jumbled on the main screen no matter how I changed the fonts. IdeaMatrix, and ToDoMatrix for heavy taskers, seem like the best solutions going.

I've had no problems so far. Perhaps it's been improved.

rambo47
12-30-2007, 11:12 PM
It may well be. It's been a while since I used it and I really haven't wanted to start messing with it again. I'm sure it's several generations improved from when I last installed it, but there is still a bad taste in my mouth from the last time.