PDA

View Full Version : RIM's current models question

nedzalife
12-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Part of me misses the 8700 build, and I'm disappointed RIM isn't building anymore "Industry/Construction" friendly models anymore like the 8700 series. I had to get our sales guys and industry managers on 8703e's cause the trackball would have been gummed up from their dirty thumbs way too quickly. Plus I knew they'd be dropped... a lot... one guy dropped his from a 20ft balcony and it's still working fine... don't ask me how it survived, but it did.

Anyone else find this to be the case? Anyone here product procurment people in a construction industry related feild and had any experience with replacement issues of the trackball?

bertiebassett
12-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Part of me misses the 8700 build, and I'm disappointed RIM isn't building anymore "Industry/Construction" friendly models anymore like the 8700 series. I had to get our sales guys and industry managers on 8703e's cause the trackball would have been gummed up from their dirty thumbs way too quickly. Plus I knew they'd be dropped... a lot... one guy dropped his from a 20ft balcony and it's still working fine... don't ask me how it survived, but it did.

Anyone else find this to be the case? Anyone here product procurment people in a construction industry related feild and had any experience with replacement issues of the trackball?

Not as such, but have you looked at the otterbox products, whilst they'll make the device a big chunckier it will also make it construction proof..

I have no relationship with otterbox, other than having seen their kit at WES and thought neat (but personally no need)

rambo47
12-18-2007, 09:33 PM
This is totally subjective on my part, but the 8700 just seemed more rugged and ready to repel punishment than the newer models. You can't argue with the functionality of the Curve/Pearl/8800 devices, but man, those 8700's were indestructible.