PDA

View Full Version : Boss's World 8830 getting tons of SPAM!!

clhansen22
12-20-2007, 11:53 AM
HELP!!!! :? My boss just got a Verizon World Edition 8830. We have a company server, and the he uses Outlook on his PC to retreive email. Except all of his spam that normally goes to his "Spam Folder" regularly on his PC is going to his BB. I spoke with our server host and they said they already have a spam block in place and that all this spam gets past it. I set him up on BIS for his email. What is the best solution to this?

I have heard it is possible to sync his outlook calendar also. How do I do this?

Please help me get him organized.

GoblueNextel
12-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Does your host mark with ***SPAM*** or some kind of identifier? If so just use that to filter and NOT send to handheld.

juwaack68
12-20-2007, 12:06 PM
You set him up with BIS....which account is he getting the SPAM from? His BES account or his BIS account?

Maybe I'm missing something.

Dubdub
12-20-2007, 12:07 PM
First, I suggest you take a look at the FAQ as that will answer most of your
What email address is set up in BIS? Is it the work email address or are you forwarding to the carrier supplied email address?

To sync with Outlook, you need to download Desktop Manager ver 4.2 SP2 or SP3. Install it on his PC and then follow the wizard.

clhansen22
12-20-2007, 12:24 PM
GoBlueNextel: Yes they do use a Spam code at the beginning of the subject. Great idead, thanks. I will try for sure.

clhansen22
12-20-2007, 12:31 PM
juwaak68: I know we do not have BES, so if I just entered his email in the "Email Setup Wizard" upon receiving the phone, that would be BIS right?

clhansen22
12-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Dubdub: I have installed the Desktop Manager, I just did not know if that was all I had to do to sync the calendar up. So that is all I have to do?

djm2
12-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Dubdub: I have installed the Desktop Manager, I just did not know if that was all I had to do to sync the calendar up. So that is all I have to do?

That should do it.

clhansen22
12-20-2007, 01:00 PM
djm2: Thank you. Merry Christmas!

SheepDog
12-20-2007, 07:41 PM
personally I kind of like the idea of the boss getting a boatload of spam! but then maybe that's just me...:razz:

JRSCCivic98
12-21-2007, 12:50 AM
Your boss is getting SPAM because you're not taking care of the SPAM issue on his email prior to it getting to his Outlook. It's Outlook that's "moving the SPAM to a SPAM folder", but this doesn't really do anything because the BB will poll the account in question just like Outlook does, but the BB does not filter SPAM.

clhansen22
12-21-2007, 11:43 AM
JRSCCivic98: I do not follow what you are saying. I am not great with this whole email stuff on the BB, I know the basics, but not much past that.

JSanders
12-21-2007, 11:52 AM
clhansen, think of email moving from a sender to your boss, like this:
(Experts: I know this is basic, but is fine for this illustration).

sender >> his email server >> BIG INTERNET WORLD >> Boss' email server >> Outlook.

Now, RIM catches mail to send to the BlackBerry at the "Boss' email server", which is before it hits Outlook. So to catch spam better, many people filter spam at what is called the "server level". Spam caught there will not make it to Outlook or his BB.

Does that help?

jeremyckitching
12-21-2007, 11:59 AM
clhansen, think of email moving from a sender to your boss, like this:
(Experts: I know this is basic, but is fine for this illustration).

sender >> his email server >> BIG INTERNET WORLD >> Boss' email server >> Outlook.

Now, RIM catches mail to send to the BlackBerry at the "Boss' email server", which is before it hits Outlook. So to catch spam better, many people filter spam at what is called the "server level". Spam caught there will not make it to Outlook or his BB.

Does that help?

LOL @<hidden> BIG INTERNET WORLD. :smile:

JSanders
12-21-2007, 12:02 PM
lol, Jeremy... that would the good ol' WWW, right?

I've heard older friends (not tech-savvy) say stuff like "I found this out on the WWW."

JRSCCivic98
12-21-2007, 03:44 PM
LOL @<hidden> BIG INTERNET WORLD. :smile:

Is that still on Earth?

JSanders
12-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Is that still on Earth?

well, hell no. It's you know, "out there".