PDA

View Full Version : Migrating to Exchange In Another Domain

JSE2015
12-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi all,

Here's my situation.

My company is planning to migrate to an exchange org in another domain. The plan is to keep our servers/workstations in domain A, but for users to use an Exchange mailbox in domain B. The reason for this is to join a GAL used by our parent company.

My migration plan is simple. I'll use ADMT to create the user accounts in domain B, create new mailboxes, and xmerge mail to .pst and back into exchange on Domain B. I'll probably be able to do it in one day.

However, I just realized that this is going to impact my blackberry users.

There will be a two way trust between the domains, and I'll be able to buy a new BES server if I need it.

So the big question is, can I do this without having to reprogram all my blackberry devices?

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

gibson_hg
12-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Any other tool then the Microsoft Move Utility will ignore the hidden BlackBerry folder in the mailbox and it won't get backup. Hence they will lose all the BB info in their mailbox making you have to re-activate all of them.

Quest and XMerge are famous for leaving that folder behind as it is not proprietary.

Also, when moving to new Exchange Org, you have to re-install the BES because it is one database per Exchange org. So if you move to a new org you have to reactivate all the users regardless. There is no way around this, I've checked for people before.