PDA

View Full Version : 8830 shuts off randomly

ocgreenmachine
12-21-2007, 10:28 PM
I've had this a few times recently... I'll be chatting on the phone and when I hang up, the screen goes dark and the little LED in the top right corner of the front face lights up RED. It takes me taking the battery out to start it back up. Any idea if it is something I'm doing wrong or if it is a glitch?

akosnitzky
12-22-2007, 07:20 AM
Is your device plugged in when you are on the phone?

ocgreenmachine
12-22-2007, 12:07 PM
No, the device isnt' plugged in when I am on the phone.

lauderdale75
12-24-2007, 10:53 AM
I've noticed that - by "shuts off" do you mean reboot or a complete shutdown? Anyhow, I sent back 2 phones for this and found that the battery was a little loose - loose enough that when I set the phone down (I dont use the case), the battery was jarred loose from the contacts and sent the phone into a reboot cycle. Anyhow, I minimized / eliminated it from happening by putting a paper shim on the end of the battery opposite from the contacts -- which forces a really tight connection of the battery.

Hope this helps and its not something more serious.

Jase88
12-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Do you have the latest OS? Either way, I'd reload the OS...start fresh.

ocgreenmachine
12-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I have the latest and greatest OS... the screen just goes dark, and the red LED lights up in the right corner... and stays lit. I sit for about 20 seconds with nothing happening before I try to restart, and when that doesn't do anything, i pop the battery out and then pop it back in after a minute. The LED lights up red again, and after a while, when i push the restart button, it loads up and is fine again. I'll check the battery connection, but I'd think if the battery was loose, there'd be no Light at all.

rambo47
12-24-2007, 08:47 PM
I'd exchange it for another one. Sounds a little fugazy to me.

SheepDog
12-24-2007, 09:50 PM
yep what he said-Fugazy. or the battery is bad.