PDA

View Full Version : Activating a Blackberry 8830 in Mexico

SpectreBlofeld
12-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Hello all...

I'm a Verizon rep in Texas.

A customer - who is a bit of grobe-trotter - a purchased an 8830 from me. He lives in Mexico City and uses iusacell, a CDMA carrier in the region.

He often buys Verizon CDMA phones and has them flashed/manually programmed/etc in order to have them activated by his carrier.

He paid full retail for the device and I called in to tech support to have the SIM card unlocked so he could use prepaid SIMs during his trips to Europe.

He called me from Mexico City today and said that they are able to activate the phone in terms of voice, but, in his own words:

"...they finally told me that the PIN had to be from Blackberry Mexico and they wouldn't be able to activate data on mine... :( "

Can anyone offer insight as to why that's the case and what can be done about it?

rambo47
12-22-2007, 04:36 PM
That's simply a policy of Iusacell. They won't activate a Blackberry they didn't sell. Verizon has this same policy until recently. The only hope is to either buy a BB from them or convince them to give him an exemption. For en exemption they would, in effect, have to add his PIN to their data base as a unit they sold. Highly unlikely.

Mariscal
07-13-2008, 10:05 PM
But in some website as Ebay, you can found dealers whom can switch your cell phone to Iusacell.

Sorry i cant post web addresses