PDA

View Full Version : Email virus? Getting too many weird emails!

elijahapril
06-28-2005, 09:26 AM
A few weeks ago I started getting emails from my web client (tmo.blackberry.net address) that are really odd. Always have an attachment, and usually have subject lines that are odd like "We have the password you asked for" or "re: the illegal website you visited last night", stuff I have no idea what it is. The attachments are 29-60k. I never open the attachments, and usually just delete, but now they are getting out of hand! I got three this morning alone, and it appears like it's replicating addresses in my address book, because two this morning were ALMOST identical to two addresses that I haved stored, only one letter was off. Then the post body says "I have attached your file, your password is JKL44563".

What should I do? Is there some type of antivirus software I can run? Can I configure web client to keep these nasty emails away?

Any help would be appreciated!

sabre
06-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Im looking for some help on this too. Is there a way to block certain addresses or filter them out?

elijahapril
06-28-2005, 09:49 AM
I know there are filters (go to web client, sign in. Filters is at the top of the screen next to search), but the filters I set are too broad, keeping out the emails I want too! The spammy emails keep coming.

I also noticed in my web client inbox (when I sign in online) has a TON of "mail delivery failures" supposedly sent from my address at tmo.blackberry.net. They are sent to a ton of weird addresses, and the body looks like this...

Sent: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 12:49:10 -0400
Subject: Mail Delivery (failure ******@<hidden>)
To: ******@<hidden>
If the message will not displayed automatically,
follow the link to read the delivered message.

Received message is available at:
www.tmo.blackberry.net/inbox/********/read.php?sessionid-4090

message.scr 40k bytes

neutral
06-28-2005, 02:39 PM
It sounds like someone who has your blackberry address in their addressbook, is infected with a virus which spreads through email.

lookaBlackberryEyeLash
06-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Just started
getting a lot
Of freaky xxx
Stuff and I
Have a business phone
Wow what we have in common!!! Need
to get it off.
I'm a changed man.

elijahapril
06-29-2005, 09:56 AM
Just started
getting a lot
Of freaky xxx
Stuff and I
Have a business phone
Wow what we have in common!!! Need
to get it off.
I'm a changed man.

Ok. Glad to know you're a changed man, yet I see nothing we have in common. Can we get back to the subject at hand?

Are there any anti-virus softwares for this handheld?

DarkWater
06-29-2005, 09:58 AM
It is most likely not a virus on the handheld itself. I know of no viruses that can infect the BlackBerry.

It's just someone or a virus spooking the from address so whenever a bounceback message is created it ends up in your inbox.

elijahapril
06-29-2005, 10:05 AM
So is there any fix? Just setting the filters higher? I just would love to not have to mess with all the spam crowding out everything important in the inbox. I guess I could always change my blackberry address too.

Thanks for your reply.

DarkWater
06-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Setup a filter to catch something specific about those messages and move it to the Deleted Items folder.

Also make sure to select "No not forward to handheld"

That's important

lookaBlackberryEyeLash
06-30-2005, 06:19 AM
Ok. Glad to know you're a changed man, yet I see nothing we have in common. Can we get back to the subject at hand?

We do all have something
In common.
We have
Blackberrys.
A hay Haaaaay!!!!
Appreciate
the advice in
this thread.
Will try the
filter.
You guys are a
help.
I'm changed
Because I don't look at
... Now I look
at cash.But
what if you reply saying
stop e-mailng
Me quick?

lookaBlackberryEyeLash
06-30-2005, 06:43 AM

We do all have something
In common.
We have
Blackberrys.
A hay Haaaaay!!!!
Appreciate
the advice in
this thread.
Will try the
filter.
You guys are a
help.
I'm changed
Because I don't look at
... Now I look
at cash.But
what if you reply saying
stop e-mailng
Me quick?

takeshi
06-30-2005, 07:32 AM
Also be sure never to actually give out your carrier.blackberry.net address. Only give out the address that forwards to it or the POP account that BIC/BWC checks. You can use the filters to help minimize spam being delivered to your Blackberry but the filters are fairly mediocre for this task. Still, this won't guarantee that you'll never receive spam to your BIC/BWC address, but it helps.