PDA

View Full Version : 8703 reboots often...

8703user
12-23-2007, 08:35 PM
I have an 8703 on the Sprint network. I had one for about a year and got tired of it rebooting for no apparent reason. Finally I got a new device and wouldn't you know, it's happening with this one too. I think I nailed it down to the BB web browser. Well, that's the only thing I can come up with for the reason it happens. On several occasions when using the Blackberry web browser that comes with the unit, it just stopped and rebooted itself. It'll do this a few times a week or much more often. I've found no rhyme or reason to it yet. Just seems like maybe the browser triggers it. I was searching Google on the BB browser today when it crashed and rebooted.

Any ideas? I'm on the latest version of BB software available for my device. Has this or does this happen to you? It's very annoying and I've come to not trust Blackberry because of this. Again, very annoying. If someone knows why this happens please chime in so I can fix it :)

P.S. It also reboots while in the holster when the browser is not in use. So that's bad news, for troubleshooting's sake. I know it's rebooting in the holster because if I see my Enterprise Messenger logged in when I pull it out of the holster, it rebooted. I have that messenger set to log in automatically, but I always stay logged out. So when I see it's logged in, I know it rebooted.

Dawg
12-23-2007, 08:52 PM
I have a 8703 and its happend twice in maybe six months. I think its clearing memory when it does that.

aiharkness
12-23-2007, 08:59 PM
I have an 8700g and it has spontaneously rebooted maybe twice. It's been so long I don't even remember if I was in email or the browser when it happened. Don't know what to say if it is happening all the time. Look at the apps you are running? Look at free memory as Dawg suggests? Time for OS reinstall?

daphne
12-23-2007, 09:27 PM
My 8703e has rebooted twice, maybe 3 times, since I got it in April. Once I remember I had tried to open a web page that is really large and I thought that's what caused it. The other time I had no idea what caused it. I've noticed since upgrading the OS that I can view web pages that it choked on before. 8703user, maybe try setting your browser emulation to something different and see if it helps.

grinch
12-24-2007, 02:33 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Mine reboots too (8703e VZW), usually a few times a week. I'm pretty sure that my Messages database is simply too large. I could set it to only keep messages for 3 months instead of 6.

I also find that deleting multiple messages at once (select a few messages, then Delete) takes over one minute to complete, while deleting a single message takes only a second.

I've been wanting an 8830 to see if that'd fix the problem. I miss a GSM BlackBerry, as I always remember it running more quickly overall.

8703user
12-24-2007, 06:21 AM
Memory being full causing it you say? I'll try to see if I can find out how much it's using at any one time and keep track of it. How would I check the memory usage. Is there an easy way?

I don't keep messages (emails) on my BB. I usually delete them within a day, so at any given time I have no more than 25 or so emails on my device.

If it helps, here's what I have loaded on my BB (extras - stuff I put on there in addition to what comes from the factory):
- blackberry maps
- google maps
- yahoo messenger (always logged out when the reboots happened)
- Wave icon theme
- Gmail application from google

Like I said, I know for sure it's rebooting even if I don't see it happen because my enterprise messenger would not be logged in if it hadn't rebooted. Also, if I see my BB is locked and it's been less than an hour since I looked at it last, I know it rebooted because it won't lock otherwise until the 1 hour time expires for when I told it to automatically lock.

aiharkness
12-24-2007, 09:00 AM
To check memory, try alt-cap-H..... Works on my 8700g and may on the 8703e, but don't know. Otherwise, go options > status. In either case, look at file free.

P.S. Doesn't looke to me like you are overloaded on apps. And you don't keep emails much to speak of. I'll be surprised if you have memory issues. But who knows.

P.S.S You are on BES, you said? Could that somehow be a factor? Don't know. Just asking? What does IT say?

8703user
12-24-2007, 11:41 AM
File Free = 37,333,788 Bytes

Yes, I'm on a BES. I'm in the IT dept myself, I talked to the person that takes care of our BES and she had no idea why it's doing this. Sprint tech support had me clear the event log in an attempt to fix the problem but it didn't seem to help. Before I got the replacement, I had 2 instances where it locked up with a blank screen and gave me a message that said: Device Error: 348. Reset". That's what pushed me over the edge to get a new device. Once I got the new one, within a few days it was rebooting itself. I suppose I could remove all but the original applications that came with it and see what happens, but then I have to ask myself...what's the point if I can't even run simple stuff like the apps I mentioned I have installed - which is common stuff and should cause no problems. I love my BB, but it's just frustrating sometimes and I can't figure out why it reboots. At least 2 other guys in my dept had the same problem and no one can figure out why it happens. Maybe when the next software update comes out that will fix it. Until then, unless I find out exactly why it's doing this, I just have to live with it.

aiharkness
12-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Rebooting all the time will be hard to live with.

For grins, it would be interesting if you could take that BB off the BES for a while to see what happens.

You know with the natural antagonism between us users and IT, I'm going to have to hold IT guilty until proven innocent, right?

mknoebel
12-24-2007, 01:23 PM
My wifes 8703e reboots too often while we are BB messengering each other. She works in the hospital and I often wondered if that had anything to do with it?? Magnetics, machines, Xrays????

Stacey
12-25-2007, 07:24 PM
I also have an 8703e from Sprint and was having the same problem. I am now on my 3rd Blackberry....after many hours with Tech support in the store and on the phone, I think it was Yahoo IM. I have now had the Yahoo off of my phone for about 5 days and it hasn't rebooted since...which really sucks because I communicate with alot of people using IM. It's the only solution that I have been able to come up with. Good Luck!

dwp1975
12-25-2007, 08:09 PM
I also have an 8703e from Sprint and was having the same problem. I am now on my 3rd Blackberry....after many hours with Tech support in the store and on the phone, I think it was Yahoo IM. I have now had the Yahoo off of my phone for about 5 days and it hasn't rebooted since...which really sucks because I communicate with alot of people using IM. It's the only solution that I have been able to come up with. Good Luck!

Try JiveTalk, you can use Yahoo! IM as well as AIM, and MSN

CopyMan
01-14-2008, 09:05 PM
I am also on my second BB 8703e (Sprint with BES) because of the rebooting problem! I eventually started getting the Device Error 348 and then I was forced to get a replacement. I have reloaded the OS on the second one a few weeks ago and it rebooted within 10 minutes afterwards! This one is now rebooting sometimes 4-6 times a day. It will reboot even while in the Holster because I will have to re login to my AmpClient application. I also have Google Maps 2.x loaded, the Antenna Software, plus the Blackberry Browser and Proprietary Software. I'm beginning to hate this phone as this is so frustrating to deal with. It's so unreliable. I like it when it works, but I hate it too! I guess you could say it's a "love-hate" relationship! Too much added stress. Sometimes it make my heart go into a racing mode (Atrial Fibrulation!). I'm not kidding! Why don't they (RIM) come out with an updated OS real soon to fix this? All my co-workers are having the same problem with rebooting.

absoblogginlutely
01-17-2008, 11:49 AM
I thought CopyMan was one of my colleagues as we are in the exact same issue. We have about 12 8703e's that spontaneously reboot - mine was rebooting about 4 or 5 times a day, sometimes taking 45 minutes to reboot. We've upgraded the firmware, ensured no third party apps are installed (including google!) and still get the issues. Reboots also occur in the holster too.
Most of the time we get a "verifying security settings" message after the phone reboots but not every time. We've even had synchronised reboots where ALL the phones have suddenly rebooted themselves.
Eventually my device was upgraded to the 8830 and the reboots have stopped.
We're currently (as I type) talking to Sprint AND RIM to try and get an answer - paying for an "upgrade" to 8830's should not really be an option as the phones are not fit for the purpose if they don't stay online for 8 hours.

Update: After 45 minutes on hold whilst the Sprint rep spoke to RIM , we find that RIM do know about this problem and are working on a solution but no eta yet. If you would like to be informed of updates to the software by RIM then send an email to bbsuggestions@<hidden>. subject line Email Update Request for Reboot Issue and in the body, put the fact you have an 8703 with issues rebooting at random and that you want email updates on when the problem will be resolved.

limodewd
01-30-2008, 11:55 PM
I have an 8703 also and Im in Cleveland Area, Sprint keeps saying they have no known issues of BB's rebooting. Ive been having issues where mine has rebooted 3-4 times in an hour. Sprint store sales rep has same phone, same troubles. Hes been trying to figure it out too and on phone with higher ups with no luck either. And Sprint doesnt want to help much at all with it either, no discounts no nothing

Very baaaad customer service, IVe been a Nextel customer for 6 yrs and was told Sprint would answer all of my unanswered prayers. Now I have more headaches than I had with my 7520

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

dkf747
01-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Sprint has bad customer service for sure, but I and many otherz I know, with the 8703e do not have rebooting issues. I think they may have been right.

forevergreen
02-03-2008, 07:46 AM
I've been having the same problem for over a year, but I've found out how to make it more tolerable. It's probably happening daily now. I replaced my first 8703 when it started happening, but have kept this one because I figured it's probably the same across the board. The first few times it happened to me, it would take literally 45 minutes of rebooting to become active again. However, the same was true if I took the battery out. I do about 5-6000 minutes/month sometimes and do a lot of email and text. I found that if I go in once per week and purge everything over a week old, it only takes 5 minutes for my phone to come back on.

I go to Messages and hit alt-p for phone, then I delete everything over 5 days.
I go to alt-O for outgoing and do the same
then I delete all sms's

I used the 8830 for a month and found that it was MUCH faster at deleting things.

jbairdjr
02-03-2008, 02:56 PM
When I had my 8703e from Alltel, I would notice it re-booting every once in a while. I could be at my desk, with the Blackberry sitting there, and it would re-boot. Not running anything at the time.
It would usually happen when I was in my office, which is in the basement of our building. Coverage is good, so that wasnt the issue. \
I thought it was just me having this.

trekuhl
02-04-2008, 11:13 PM
have also had this prob with vzw 8703. hasnt happened in a few weeks now, but has been going on for over a year. will randomly shut off and sometime happens several times a day. then go for weeks without an issue...

mine gets rebooted every few days as i charge two extra batteries on external charger and swap out (all OEM rim bats) and have tried using individual batteries for lengths of time to ensure not simple bat issue.

ive got the warranty thru vzw but never bothered to pursue it. since sept my BB has seen some road rash from a couple small accidents and i am sure they would likely blame the issues on that even though its been happening for much longer. figure ill either swap out near end of contract, of just get a newer model this fall or wait for the next model.

-trekuhl

bvandrasik
02-05-2008, 06:40 AM
I think it is related to location and reception strength. All 3 of my Sprint 8703e's have had this problem. It will randomly reboot at home, where I have poor signal strength and my BB is constantly switching between 1X and 1XEV mode. At my office, I have a Sprint tower across the street and it has never rebooted.

Dawg
02-05-2008, 06:55 AM
before I went to the 8130 I owned the 8703 for a year and I think mine rebooted maybe 6 times by itself.

trekuhl
02-05-2008, 08:54 AM
i have noticed many times when it rebooted i was in the car driving...

grinch
02-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I think it isn't reception persay, but a problem with the radio or radio driver. I notice that the only time it has rebooted is when I've received a message or updating my RSS feeds in Viigo, or the BlackBerry is handing off between 1x and EV modes.

Strange, but I'm hoping to upgrade to either the 8830 or 8130 sometime soon.

bvandrasik
02-05-2008, 12:46 PM
before I went to the 8130 I owned the 8703 for a year and I think mine rebooted maybe 6 times by itself.

Thanks for the helpful reply - twice in the same thread. And in every other thread concerning 8703e reboots.

Dawg
02-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the helpful reply - twice in the same thread. And in every other thread concerning 8703e reboots.

and your point is? it was just as helpful as your post pointing out that i replied twice in this thread. Are you stalking me or what?
If you look its also ben two months since I posted that.

hudres
02-05-2008, 09:19 PM
All: As I read this thread, which I have previously avoided as it is not a problem I experience, I note one possible common theme: It seems that people who have this problem are more likely to use BES than BIS. I use BIS on VZW and have not experienced this issue.

So, I propose a test to this community and if you all cooperate we might find out what causes this:

I ask everyone who reads this to respond with two items: your carrier and whether you use BES of BIS or both.

If enough of you respond, we might get a statistically valid answer that we can then report to RIM and get rid of this problem. If nothing else I am tired of constantly seeing this problem being reported and not solved.

I will tabulate the results and report here. As previously stated, I use BIS and Verizon

jbairdjr
02-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106)

When I had this problem, I was using BIS.

trekuhl
02-05-2008, 09:32 PM
have also had this prob with vzw 8703. hasnt happened in a few weeks now, but has been going on for over a year. will randomly shut off and sometime happens several times a day. then go for weeks without an issue...

mine gets rebooted every few days as i charge two extra batteries on external charger and swap out (all OEM rim bats) and have tried using individual batteries for lengths of time to ensure not simple bat issue.

ive got the warranty thru vzw but never bothered to pursue it. since sept my BB has seen some road rash from a couple small accidents and i am sure they would likely blame the issues on that even though its been happening for much longer. figure ill either swap out near end of contract, of just get a newer model this fall or wait for the next model.

-trekuhl

VZW - BIS

-t

Stacey
02-05-2008, 10:01 PM
I use Sprint - BIS

I find that mine reboots alot when I am using Yahoo IM.

forevergreen
02-06-2008, 04:51 AM
BIS VZW

thanks for looking into this.

Dawg
02-06-2008, 07:59 AM
All: As I read this thread, which I have previously avoided as it is not a problem I experience, I note one possible common theme: It seems that people who have this problem are more likely to use BES than BIS. I use BIS on VZW and have not experienced this issue.

So, I propose a test to this community and if you all cooperate we might find out what causes this:

I ask everyone who reads this to respond with two items: your carrier and whether you use BES of BIS or both.

If enough of you respond, we might get a statistically valid answer that we can then report to RIM and get rid of this problem. If nothing else I am tired of constantly seeing this problem being reported and not solved.

I will tabulate the results and report here. As previously stated, I use BIS and Verizon

BIS Vzw

and it looks like alot of the folks are sprint users too.

grinch
02-06-2008, 08:50 AM

I'm a VZW BIS user as well.

bvandrasik
02-06-2008, 11:32 AM

BES Sprint

(Although it seems obvious to me, you should have stated that only people with reboot problems should respond to this poll. At least one respondent (Dawg) is not having reboot problems.)

Dawg
02-06-2008, 12:47 PM
BES Sprint

(Although it seems obvious to me, you should have stated that only people with reboot problems should respond to this poll. At least one respondent (Dawg) is not having reboot problems.)

such a big baby! Are you mad because I am not having problems or do you just like attacking me? I am so sorry that I posted twice in the same thread, please get over it. This is a public forum and if you dont like what I have to say then there is an ignore feature please use it. Other wise drop it.

hudres
02-06-2008, 01:22 PM
First, thank you to those of you who have already posted the requested info. Second, let's try to solve this problem and not engage in personal cuts. For the record, I have never experienced this problem, and I use my BB constantly (4 - 5 K min per month), run a host of 3rd party apps, etc.

I am tracking these answers using an Excel Spreadsheet and am starting to see some trends emerging. I will wait until we get a few more posts to see if what I am seeing holds true. At that point I will both report the results and propose a test that has a good chance of isolating the problem.

I do this out of a combination of scientific curiosity and altruism, as I am not affected by this particular problem. I do have a strong suspicion, and if this is proven, I will then write a program to correct it which I will freely distribute. I have done software development as an offshoot of my work and troubleshooting of both hardware and software for my over 20 years.

To those of you who have not yet posted a reply to my request, I urge you to do so, particularly if you are experiencing this problem. People who do not experience the problem should post too as it helps the analysis. Thanks

Dawg
02-06-2008, 01:30 PM
First, thank you to those of you who have already posted the requested info. Second, let's try to solve this problem and not engage in personal cuts. For the record, I have never experienced this problem, and I use my BB constantly (4 - 5 K min per month), run a host of 3rd party apps, etc.

I am tracking these answers using an Excel Spreadsheet and am starting to see some trends emerging. I will wait until we get a few more posts to see if what I am seeing holds true. At that point I will both report the results and propose a test that has a good chance of isolating the problem.

I do this out of a combination of scientific curiosity and altruism, as I am not affected by this particular problem. I do have a strong suspicion, and if this is proven, I will then write a program to correct it which I will freely distribute. I have done software development as an offshoot of my work and troubleshooting of both hardware and software for my over 20 years.

To those of you who have not yet posted a reply to my request, I urge you to do so, particularly if you are experiencing this problem. People who do not experience the problem should post too as it helps the analysis. Thanks

your a good man and a asset to the BB community. Thanks for trying to help resolve the problem.

simon_hed
02-06-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm on Alltel 8703e BES. It reboots several times a week, maybe once a day or so. I starting noticing it when my brickbreaker paused games were getting lost, because it never happened when I was using it.

Then I dropped it off my motorcycle one day, and it took quite a beating. It was getting progressively worse before then. I figured my warranty was over at that point and now I just live with it.

hudres
02-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks to those of you who have participated in the survey I requested. As it has been 24 hours and no additional posts, I will analyze the data I have.

What comes out of the data is that the problem appears to be tied to memory loading. Many of the reporting users indicated that the problem occurs during some memory intensive operations or more specifically when the memory is overloaded. The reason I say this is that one user reported that he pulls his battery frequently and still has occasional problems. It is well known that pulling the battery to re-boot clears a lot of memory. But it does not clear all the memory. There is persistent memory in the BB architecture. This can be cleared in a number of ways (I will discuss these later).

As I have (fortunately) not experienced the problem, I compared my usage methodology to the replies of the survey. In addition to changing batteries, I routinely clean the internet cache(a persistent memory area), I use the Memory Cleaning Tool that is part of the BB OS. I also track my memory level. I am a heavy user (4 - 5K minutes per month with a lot of Web time). I have frequently observed that on days when I am particularly busy, I will chew up 4 or 5M of memory. That is a lot. I usually have about 28M available (not bad for someone running over 30 3rd party apps). But I can run that down to 15 or 16M in 2 or 3 days.

In order to test my theory, I ask ask of you to bear with me and help conduct a physical experiment. It is particularly important that user who experience frequent reboots participate. The experiment needs to run for a week to ensure a statistically reliable result.

The Experiment:

The basic premise is that I want you to clear all memory areas every day at approximately the same time. This requires that each participant do the following:

1. Very Important: Go to Options:Status and record the Free Memory.

2. Clear Internet Cache: This is found when running the browser in Options, Cache Operations. Clear or verify that all three registers show 0K. If you happen to run Opera, you will also have to clear the cache for that. As I don't run Opera, I cannot give you specific instructions, but they are probably similar. If you are running Opera, make sure thatthe BB Browser caches are clear.

3. Memory Cleaning: Go to Options, Security, Memory Cleaning. On the "Show Icon on Home Screen) line, set the option to Yes. This will place a button on your applications screen. Run this applet when you are cleaning the rest of the memory.

4. Pull the Battery: Do A Battery Pull reboot. While you have the battery out, depress and hold down the Power On button on the top of the BB for about 10 seconds. Then replace the battery and let it boot.

5. Go back to Options: Status and record the free memory again. You will want to make a little log to record all this data.

6. In your log, add a column that will detail if and when it reboots by itself and what you were doing immediately prior to the reboot.

That is the experiment that needs to be run. This will tell us if this is truly a memory related problem. I think it is but need the statistics to verify the solution.

If we get a positive result, I will write a program that does this automatically (I am already a registered BB Developer). I suspect that most of you do not purge your memory on a regular basis, and that is the underlying principal of my theory.

Finally if this seems like too much work for you, don't do it and live with your constant reboots. Remember, this is not my problem, it is yours and I am only interested for scientific reasons (I hate unsolved problems). But also consider that I do this every day (except the data logging) and I don't have the problem. Figure it out. 73

inertiatic
02-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Hey Everyone,
I only found this thread after getting a 2nd report of this issue. I administer our Blackberry Enterprise Server of nearly 200 devices with a good mixture of Nextel 7520's, 8703's, and 8830's. I'm on an 8830 myself obviously :razz: but we have been rolling out more and more 8703's lately upgrading 7520's that don't require Direct Connect.

My first report of the rebooting was after we upgraded a user to one. I first thought she was just trying to get an 8830 and putting in random complaints. Her device was RMA'ed and shortly after it began doing the same thing. They even RMA'ed it a 2nd time and now her device is back at it. (Alltel)

Today I get another report of a Sprint 8703 randomly rebooting so I Googled this page. I just emailed the RIM address mentioned above and will try to contact some of my various contacts (Sr Wireless Engineers for various carriers). Hopefully there is a fix for this!

Thanks

Stacey
02-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the analysis and your suggestions. I am going to do this everyday and see if it helps. So far, I 've done all the steps except that in #3, I don't seem to have the option of Memory Cleaning, could it be somewhere else?
Thanks.

trekuhl
02-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the analysis and your suggestions. I am going to do this everyday and see if it helps. So far, I 've done all the steps except that in #3, I don't seem to have the option of Memory Cleaning, could it be somewhere else?
Thanks.

i believe you need to turn on CONTENT PROTECTION first, it is under security, then general options. then exit out of security options and go back in and MEMORY CLEANING is available.

i have set mine to clean when idle for 5 minutes and when holstered, so it should be freeing things up constantly. i had a lot of reboots around xmas time when i was traveling but none that i can remember since the new year, although sometimes i know it most likely happened when holstered so i didnt see it.

hudres
02-09-2008, 10:20 PM
@<hidden>: Thanks for trying the suggestions. Do it for a week and then please post your results. WRT: Memory Cleaning: I am also using an 8703e but with Verizon. I am using OS 4.2.1 .. Are you sure that you looked under Options: Security Options: Memory Cleaning? On the Memory Cleaning Screen, the fourth option should be "Show Icon on Home Screen". Set this to "YES". The icon should appear towards the end of your applications icons. When you highlight the icon, the title is "Memory Cleaner". If this does not work, let me know what your OS is (found under "Options:About". It should be the 3rd line and should read something like "V4.2.1.106 (Platform 2.3.0.20 (This is the Verizon data. The Sprint data should be similar.)

As Trekuhl has pointed out, Content Protection should be enabled. But, then again, why would you not want to enable Content Protection?

@<hidden>: There is one other persistent memory area that I forgot to mention. It is the "Phone Log". This is found by going to the Messages Screen, Click the trackwheel, select "View Folder". On the View Folder screen, select "Phone Call Logs. Highlight the entire screen and then Delete all the messages. This may take some time to do the first time around. Highlight by pressing and holding the "Num ^" button (located below the 7 on the key pad. If you have a lot of entries, do this in several steps. Be prepared if you highlight more than a screen of entries for it to take some time, possibly a couple of minutes. Just let it go once you have selected and confirmed Delete.

And of course, when you have finished purging everything, do a battery pull reboot as previously described.

Getting the phone clean the first time can be laborious, but once it is clean, you can do all the procedures described in under 5 minutes. .. 73

Golfaholic
02-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Folks:

The rebooting problem is due to a "known issue" specific to the Qualcomm chip set in the 8703e and 7130e handsets. After many months of Sprint pressing RIM to evaluate and diagnose the problem, RIM has finally identified the root cause and has presented Sprint with a "maintenance relaese" (i.e. a bug fix code) to test. That's in prgress now and within the next week, Sprint and RIM should know if the code fixes the problem. If so, RIM should be posting their final version of the MR within about 7-10 business days after the testing perdiod.

But there was nothing Sprint could do to resolve this as it ws RIM's issue to diagnose and resolve and until they did so, Sprint was unable to resolve the issue.

hudres
02-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Folks:

The rebooting problem is due to a "known issue" specific to the Qualcomm chip set in the 8703e and 7130e handsets. After many months of Sprint pressing RIM to evaluate and diagnose the problem, RIM has finally identified the root cause and has presented Sprint with a "maintenance relaese" (i.e. a bug fix code) to test. That's in prgress now and within the next week, Sprint and RIM should know if the code fixes the problem. If so, RIM should be posting their final version of the MR within about 7-10 business days after the testing perdiod.

But there was nothing Sprint could do to resolve this as it ws RIM's issue to diagnose and resolve and until they did so, Sprint was unable to resolve the issue.

@<hidden>: The problem is obviously more widespread than just Sprint. In the survey I took I have reports from users of many carriers, using both CDMA and GSM. I would like to know your source so that I can see whether or not this fix will help others. If it is not distributed by RIM that could be a problem as there are as many or more persons who are not Sprint customers with the problem. I have not seen anything on the RIM website. Could you point me to your reference? . 73

grinch
02-11-2008, 10:30 PM
That post makes a lot of sense to me, as everytime my device has rebooted the radio is in use at the time. I'm either having service issues or disabling/enabling the radio when it happens and I'm using the unit.

Let's hope this fix is released soon. I'm sure once Sprint releases it we will find a way to get it working on other carriers. I sure hope so anyway. :)

absoblogginlutely
02-12-2008, 05:32 PM
If it is not distributed by RIM that could be a problem as there are as many or more persons who are not Sprint customers with the problem. I have not seen anything on the RIM website. Could you point me to your reference? . 73

We spoke to RIM after refusing to take the silence from Sprint - it IS a known issue, but at the time of our initial call they couldn't/wouldn't provide an eta for the fix. I'm not surprised they don't put anything on the website as putting a notice that says "by the way,if you purchase this phone at $200 you won't be able to use it for 3 hours a day" would probably mean several lost sales.

It's good news that in the past couple of weeks they are more forthcoming with an answer. I'm not sure how many reboots are still going on with our blackberrys - our users don't complain to me anymore as there isn't much point at the moment.
FWIW we're also using a BES server on Sprint in Columbus, Ohio.

hudres
02-13-2008, 07:11 PM
We spoke to RIM after refusing to take the silence from Sprint - it IS a known issue, but at the time of our initial call they couldn't/wouldn't provide an eta for the fix. I'm not surprised they don't put anything on the website as putting a notice that says "by the way,if you purchase this phone at $200 you won't be able to use it for 3 hours a day" would probably mean several lost sales.

It's good news that in the past couple of weeks they are more forthcoming with an answer. I'm not sure how many reboots are still going on with our blackberrys - our users don't complain to me anymore as there isn't much point at the moment.
FWIW we're also using a BES server on Sprint in Columbus, Ohio.

I appreciate your comments. It is something to look forward to. But have you tried the routine I suggested? You obviously have more than a few units at your disposal. If something as simple as a daily or even weekly purge of useless data were able to fix your problem, is that not worth the effort to try?
I am on my second 8703e and have never experienced this problem. Since we have ruled out that it is a BES vs BIS issue, and that it is most probably a memory overflow issue, what is there that I know that you don't (or at least acknowledge)? As you seem to be an IT person, does this not stroke you as similar to a critical memory overflow in a PC? Just a thought. . 73

inertiatic
02-15-2008, 05:06 PM
**UPDATE**

All,
I just received an email from my local Sprint Business Account Rep concerning this issue.

Team:
The handheld OS update (4.2.x) for the 8703 has been posted publicly on the RIM site:
https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=FC3CF452D3DA8402BEBB765225CE8C0E

The update was released to fix reboots in several markets (Richmond, Chicago, Raleigh, Honolulu, Cleveland, Columbus OH, Norfolk, Knoxville) and will need to be downloaded to a PC and loaded with desktop manager (v3.2 or better suggested). If on a BES, the customer will need to do a new enterprise activation after update.
In addittion 4.2 software wupports WAV files.

The first point of contact for support is Blackberry care 877-654-9111.

WOW....is all I have to say. I recently rolled out nearly 100 Alltel 8703's and having to manually touch these won't be fun. I have everything run through wireless enterprise activations so no one has desktop manager installed and we don't give them admin rights nor trust them to do this upgrade on their own. This shall be fun!

Also, this notification was only from Sprint. We have other systems across the country that are also seeing this problem on Alltel devices. I'm waiting to get notification from them as well.

Thanks

hudres
02-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks to inertiatic for his post. I checked out the RIM website and this does seem to be the answer to the problem, at least for Sprint users. The only questions remaining are: (1) Does this patch also work with other carriers, and (2) What about the 20% of people who do not use Sprint and have this problem?

If anyone has the nerve to try this on a phone from a carrier other than Sprint, please post your experience . Thanks . 73

grinch
02-19-2008, 12:50 AM
I just downloaded and installed this update. I will report back in a few days if the reboots have been fixed or not. I hope others will try their luck with it as well.

Once again, I'm on Verizon with BIS.

DirtyHarry
02-20-2008, 10:34 PM
After my old 7520 chose not to charge anymore, the company sent me a new in the box 8703e. Wow what a difference until i noticed the bugger logging me off and on and then finally go to white screens rebooting. I used it for about three days. Then thanks to the forum, it convinced the Adm to look into the problem with sprint and what do you know, yesterday ver 4..2.1.110. It required about 1.5 hours to reinstall the OS (over 45mins using 6meg down speed by me but 27k through sprint website!!),but so far everything is working. Although it seems to block many of the themes out there but at least it's working...even the modem! :)

What sucks is you have to use 7 different key strokes and one number for the pwds now.:x

Carrier = Sprint 1xEV

Omegamania
02-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Anyone download the software yet for Sprint and does it stop the rebooting?

Stacey
02-24-2008, 06:21 PM
I have 8703e with Sprint and I downloaded 4.2 about 1 week ago and I can happily report that my phone has NOT rebooted itself at all! I am very happy!!

bvandrasik
02-25-2008, 04:29 PM
I installed it 9 days ago and haven't had a random reboot yet. It also did not brick my 8703e, like my two attempts to install earlier non-Sprint releases of 4.2.

cruwl
02-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Had this issue today with a user of an 8700c on AT&T, user reported 10-15 reboots a day by the device, didnt quite find this post soon enough. attempted a complete OS reload. then an OTA BES activation. now waiting to see if it fixes the issue.

"Crosses fingers"

hudres
02-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Following my post of 2/18, I tried another experiment: I have deliberately not cleared any of the memory spaces. Predictably, my 8703e (Verizon) finally rebooted itself, duplicating the condition observed by many others. My usage is heavy of both phone and data (ave 3500 min/month). When the reboot was complete, the free memory had reset to its normal value of 29meg (yes, in spite of running over 36 3rd party apps, that is how much free memory I have).

From my perspective, this validates the theory I put forth on 2/7/08 regarding overload of memory. If you want to avoid this problem, either download and install the patch or clear your memory often. You may take this advice for what it is worth. I have satisfied my curiosity and now that there are two solutions I wish to thank those of you who have contributed your comments.

I believe that one of the moderators had commented that if you have more than 18meg free you are doing good. I take this as further confirmation of the importance of routine purging of the memory. I am going to check with RIM and see if that is what the Sprint patch does. _________ 73

ObliteRon
02-29-2008, 10:10 AM
From what we are seeing here, the Sprint update seems to fix the rebooting problem on our Verizon 8703e devices.

Any word on a corresponding fix from Verizon?

What about for 7130e devices?

Folks:

hudres
02-29-2008, 09:48 PM
The 7130 is an old design and not substantially supported. It is unlikely that the 8703e fix will work on it due to the difference in the circuitry. Your best solution is to bite the bullet and get yourself a current generation handset. Sorry for the cold shower. Maybe one of the moderators has a better suggestion. 73

DirtyHarry
02-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Well after a few days this batch for sprint seems to work. What I've noticed is a reduction in battery life and it just hangs up or drops the phone call something like switching cell towers or frequencies.

This morning a customer said I sounded like I had a cold, must have been in a poor area for sprint? It lasted for about 5mins.

I've checked memory levels 28meg or more free.

But it doesn't lockup!?:?

srobak
03-26-2008, 11:01 AM
8703e, sprint, not BES, only reboots when I am actively using BB messenger... but as I do fairly intensively - it punts itself several times a day.