PDA

View Full Version : thinking about a 8310 and selling my iphone (browser question)

motionxxusxx
12-26-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm a phone addict and usually get bored of my phones in a few months. I've currently been using the iphone and think its great. I'm just bored and figure I'll check out the iphone 2 whenever that comes out. I was looking at the blackberry curve 8310 and love the idea of having gps built in. I was thinking about buying a standalone unit for the car, but figured that would be a waste if I can get it in my phone. I was playing around with a curve in the store and it seems that I will definitely be taking a step back in terms of the browser. I tried going to options and choosing the internet explorer as the browser emulation, expecting the curve to allow me to view full web pages. Whenever I went to yahoo it gave me the mobile version. Is there anyway to go to the full version without using opera mini?

To be honest I really dont mind going to some of the mobile pages since it is quicker on edge than to load up the full pages, but there are some instances where I must access the full webpage.

Thanks for your help.

ifonline
12-26-2007, 05:37 PM
I believe so, but it isn't terribly good in any configuration. The Blackberry is not a web browsing device by strength. It is an e-mail device with [limited] browser capabilities.

As I have posted in other threads here, I had an iPhone and am much like you in terms of a very expensive passion: electronics. I too am waiting to see what the next iPhone brings, but I decided on the Curve for dependability and function, something the iPhone currently doesn't deliver, at least for me. I miss the browsing of the iPhone, though, and if that's your primary interest, I would recommend staying with the iPhone. There is nothing that comes close, currently, to the web browsing experience on the iPhone.

motionxxusxx
12-26-2007, 05:39 PM
I believe so, but it isn't terribly good in any configuration. The Blackberry is not a web browsing device by strength. It is an e-mail device with [limited] browser capabilities.

As I have posted in other threads here, I had an iPhone and am much like you in terms of a very expensive passion: electronics. I too am waiting to see what the next iPhone brings, but I decided on the Curve for dependability and function, something the iPhone currently doesn't deliver, at least for me. I miss the browsing of the iPhone, though, and if that's your primary interest, I would recommend staying with the iPhone. There is nothing that comes close, currently, to the web browsing experience on the iPhone.

How is the gps?
How is the signal strength compared to the iphone (My iphone only gets 1 bar in my house)

greggebhardt
12-26-2007, 06:01 PM
How is the gps?
How is the signal strength compared to the iphone (My iphone only gets 1 bar in my house)

The GPS is average, not a great performer but works.

Reception will be better. I have a friend who uses both Blackberry and iPhone and he us always saying that the Blackberry reception is much better.

ifonline
12-26-2007, 06:08 PM
I find the GPS to be fine, but I am using Google Maps which doesn't provide turn-by-turn based on GPS. It does plot your location based on GPS, though, and I get better accuracy (according to Google Maps) than I do with my Nuvi 750. That being said, though, I will continue to use my Nuvi 750 in the car as it is a far superior GPS unit to a cell phone, in my opinion.

I too find the signal strength better than I did with my iPhone. It works in my office much better than my iPhone ever did.

davistld01
12-26-2007, 10:43 PM
I've had both, so here are my personal feelings...

Reception: 8310
Call Quality: 8310
Volume: 8310
Browser: iPhone (hands down winner...although the BB is passable)
Email: 8310
Media Player: iPhone
Reliablity: 8310
Build Quality: iPhone (no issues with my 8310, but iPhone is amazing)
Ease of use: 8310 (much faster accessing apps and features)
Functionality: 8310
Value: 8310 (best bang-for-the-buck)

Like several others have said, I will be very interested in the "Gen-2" iPhone to see if it is really a stellar improvement over the current model...or merely a reissue of the current "beta" version with only small additions like 3G, MMS and some office apps to attempt to capture some of BlackBerrys ground. If it's just a glossing over of the iPhone that we've seen already...I'll stick with the BlackBerry for sure.

Besides, the 9000 looks like it's give the iPhone a run for the money!!

dooks88
12-26-2007, 11:18 PM
I've had both, so here are my personal feelings...

Reception: 8310
Call Quality: 8310
Volume: 8310
Browser: iPhone (hands down winner...although the BB is passable)
Email: 8310
Media Player: iPhone
Reliablity: 8310
Build Quality: iPhone (no issues with my 8310, but iPhone is amazing)
Ease of use: 8310 (much faster accessing apps and features)
Functionality: 8310
Value: 8310 (best bang-for-the-buck)

Like several others have said, I will be very interested in the "Gen-2" iPhone to see if it is really a stellar improvement over the current model...or merely a reissue of the current "beta" version with only small additions like 3G, MMS and some office apps to attempt to capture some of BlackBerrys ground. If it's just a glossing over of the iPhone that we've seen already...I'll stick with the BlackBerry for sure.

Besides, the 9000 looks like it's give the iPhone a run for the money!!

i think you summed it up quite well.

spdrcr5
12-26-2007, 11:44 PM
If you are going to decide between an 8310 for its GPS feature vs a standalone GPS... get a TomTom or Garmin GPS and skip the 8310, it's nothing to write home about. No turn by turn with google maps and not worth the $10/month for the TeleNav that you have to pay for. IMO

web browsing is nowhere near any Blackberry's strength. It is passable but nowhere near what the iPhone does for browsing the web.

fkjr2
12-27-2007, 11:10 AM
iphone is a glorified ipod

8310 is a true smartphone

its up to the user's needs.

dankarlinski
12-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Wirelessly posted (8320 Curve: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The iphone is more of a multimedia device than a phone persay.

The iphone is really nice, but the fact that its all locked out with 3rd party apps w/o hacking it really sucks. Leading to my web browser point. The BB browser isn't the greatest for a phone. There is a browser called Opera Mini. It is a full web page browser and is very fast on EDGE. Its a great addition to the berry. Also, being fully open to Java based apps, the berry is more compatable with 3rd programs WITHOUT hacking anything. Never used the iphone email, but I would imagine the berry is faster and easier to set up. And its just drag and drop with media. No itunes crap. (Although it helps me keep my music organised on my 160GB classic. Lol )

The only pluses of the iphone, from what I see, is:
- web browser
- media capabilities
- cool looking

The downsides are it is touch screen, is a bigger device (the berry is wider, but a lot shorter.

As for comparing features itself, the berry wins hands down.

The GPS is good. Not as great as say a tom tom, but great functionality for what you need it for