PDA

View Full Version : error 570 after attempted BES activation?!

tvaldez
06-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Does anyone know what a tiny icon of a square, triangle, circle inside a box with a slash through it and the number 507 under it means?

My organization tried to activate me on their BES (BB enterprise server) and it didn't "take". After the activation entry of username & password my 7520 attempted to reboot and never came back -- only a rotating hourglass. That was hours ago.

Apparently the earlier models have a pinhole to do a "hard" reset on the back but the 7520 doesn't seem to have that. A soft reboot didn't work either. After several hours and pulling the battery, etc, now it doesn't have the hourglass it just has that square icon image thingy above. Nextel (my service provider) was unable to help at all...they said take it in to an authorized dealer.

I had the very latest O/S update with the nice HTML Internet Browser, etc, and I'm pretty sure all of the latest software versions.

Help?!?

NJBlackBerry
06-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Is it a 570 or a 507? A 507 indicates that there is no operating system found on the BB. You'll need to reload the entire OS. Not sure about a 570... Sorry :-(

tvaldez
06-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Aargh...I think it was 507. Sorry! But that still leaves the problems of 1. how did the O/S get wiped? and 2. how do I get in there to load a new O/S now?

rsun
06-29-2005, 06:47 PM
I've never heard of doing an activation that gets rid of the OS, maybe something else was wrong with your handheld. The only time I've seen something similar to this is with the BlackBerry Manager, where you have a Nuke Handheld option, but as far as I can tell, it must be connected to the local USB for this option to work. Nuking a Handheld gets rid of the firmware and it needs to be flashed.

Rancor
06-29-2005, 06:51 PM
You will have lost all user data on the device, hope you backed it up prior to the JVM error.

507 errors can make it tricky to get the PC to detect the device when reloading the firmware.
It may take you a few attempts to get it to connect.

Be sure to have the Handset firmware installed on the PC:

Remove the BlackBerry's battery and connect it to your PC.
Open Desktop Manager => Application Loader => [Next]
Ignore the com ports highlighted when you get to the Connection Setting Screen;
Replace the battery
If the Device is detected you will be able to click [Next] on the PC.
At this stage if a password is set on the BlackBerry you will be prompted to enter it.
You will not have the back up and restore option.
You will be able to continue on with loading the firmware.
If you have a current back up file you can restore the data from that

tvaldez
06-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks everyone for the help, it's appreciated. The IT folks here took my BB in to an "authorized repair center" for fixing when Nextel (my provider) was unable to tell them what to do. I made an offhand comment about simply restoring from backup when I get it back and they freaked -- told me I can't do that and it has to remain connected to the BES only and .... and ... so, I think I will restore from backup anyway! :) What's the worst that can happen: they will have to re-activate the BES on my unit. Big whoop.

Rancor
07-28-2005, 02:54 AM
bah!
restore data from backup should not be a problem at all once your device is reloaded with the OS.
sheeeeesh!
Perhaps they were thinking you meant a back-up of the device OS (which doesn't make sense) and not the user data.