PDA

View Full Version : Hyperterminal phone access

netman86
01-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Hello.
I've been at this for about 10 hours now, so excuse me if i'm a little hard to understand :)

I'm putting a computer in my car, and I'm using my Blackberry as a tethered modem. This thread is unrelated in any and all manner to that connection.

What this thread IS about, is phone control. If anyone here is familiar with the car-computer scene, they'd know that applications called 'front ends' put up spiffy interfaces to things like GPS, music, and phone controls.

In come the phone controls. They typically are just fancy GUI's wrapped around a basic terminal for doing things like answering the phone, making a call, and in some cases viewing the phone book (and of course being able to call people from said phonebook)

Sure enough, I cant get one to work with my new blackberry.

So, heres what I've gotten-
I can ANSWER the phone via a terminal. If its ringing, i can enter in ATA<return> and the phone picks up. Spiffy.

I can MAKE a call, to an extent- ATD and ATDT do not seem to work with this phone.
AT+CDV=<number>;<return> does seem to make a call- the phone bound to <number> rings- and if they pick up the call, they hear silence. 10 seconds (give or take) later, the call drops, and my terminal spits out NO CARRIER. My phone seems completely unaware that its making this call, and thats probably the problem.

I'm not sure if i can end a call/hang up- i'll worry about that once i can make one :)

The current programs out there do not seem to have any clue about the phone book, iether- not a concern for me, though.

So i guess heres the real question- What is the proper command, or set of commands, to initiate a VOICE call on a blackberry via the terminal?

quick spews:
-when i refer to a terminal, i'm using Hyperterminal (xp) to connect to the COM port of the phone; could be a bluetooth OR usb link. I've only really bothered with bluetooth so far.
-when sending a dial command, be it ATD, ATDT, or AT+CDV, the ; at the end specified its a VOICE call rather than a DATA call. That took me a few hours to figure out.
-No matter what i send to the phone via the terminal, i never get any screen activity, Unless its the ATA command and the phone is ringing- in which case it answers, and the screen obviously changes from ringing to on screen.

--caffeine depleted. Please ask if anything isnt making sense, and LMK if this is in the wrong section- i'd imagine these commands are pretty universal so i diddnt put it in a blackberry sub-forum.

d_fisher
01-02-2008, 01:20 AM
Not sure if what you want to do is possible or not. Since the BlackBerry was designed with security in mind some functions may be restricted. Have your tried a Bluetooth car kit? That should do what you want in regards to the phone, but I dont know if that will tie into your plans the way you want or not.

netman86
01-02-2008, 09:18 AM
'implausible' is about as close to 'no' as i can go. Newer cars w/ onboard computers out of the factory can make a bluetooth link with this phone and have full control over the contacts, make phonecalls, and do all sorts of cool things.
That means its possible, even if it requires a little something extra. I have a feeling its all software (other than the special bluetooth chipset required for voice, which i refuse to order until i can at least initiate a phonecall)

If they can do it, so can we- There are dozens of threads about this spread over various forums, but no one has a posted solution- I wont be happy until i find one, so what i really need is ideas of where to look. Should i be spending my effort locating someone who works on the integrated automotive machines, or perhaps harassing RIM?

http://www.netman86.com/dial.JPG

I think i need some sort of off-hook command to let the phone know its making a call. Is anyone familiar with this DCE, and its capabilities?

netman86
01-03-2008, 07:54 PM
I forgot to mention- if i punch in
ATDT#777
it inits modem mode-#777 is the number you dial to tether on my carrier, so that function seems to work alright with atdt... but again, i cant seem to make a voice call. Really stumped on this.

netman86
01-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Is it possible that the COM port i'm connecting to is the virtual software modem rather than the phone itself? I cannot seem to get this silly device to give me a terminal over USB, only bluetooth. the plot thickens.

netman86
01-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Is it possible that the COM port i'm connecting to is the virtual software modem rather than the phone itself? I cannot seem to get this silly device to give me a terminal over USB, only bluetooth. the plot thickens.
edit: after thinking this one over, i've decided that this cant be, as when the phone is ringing ATA picks it up- so its not the emulated modem, or else that would be trying to pick it up as a data call...

jb33
02-01-2008, 03:48 PM
netman, I'm here trying to figure out the same thing. I can make a voice call on my 8100 ATD5555555555, but can not recieve calls, hang up or browse the phone book. I can get device and model info, IMEI #, etc. You get any further in the last few weeks?
jb

EDIT - BTW, that was all over USB Virtual COM port on XP.