PDA

View Full Version : WARNING about sync/charge cradle

leemce
01-02-2008, 02:05 PM
This is a DOUBLE-POST. I nearly got my head bitten off here last week for double-posting but this is an equipment warning that deserves to be on both forums where I posted my inquiry about this last week. If the three flamers who get in a huge snit then about double posts can’t take it, I advise them not to read any further:

Beware if you have purchased a cradle sync/charger from Amzer. You might damage your Blackberry if you try to have both the sync and the charge cables attached at the same time. I have the Amzer series 8800 sync/charger and Amzer’s documentation is woefully unclear on the risk. I was wary about the device because of the way USB and DC power are interconnected.

The first tech support person I spoke with there last week said there is no problem having both cables attached while the Blackberry is in the cradle. But actually he seemed uninformed so I called back today. A different tech support person I spoke with said, “Yes, there is a risk if you have both cables plugged in at the same time. Do not do that.” And then he hung up on me, or at least somehow we were disconnected at that point.

It is ridiculous for Amzer not to be up front about this in their advertising and their enclosed documentation. But I suppose they couldn’t sell anything if potential buyers knew they would have to plug and unplug and plug and unplug the wires every time they used the thing. (The documentation seems to subtly hint at it but never actually expresses the possible danger to Blackberry devices from using this product.)

I don’t know whether the risk is to the Blackberry, alone, or whether there could be current leakage all the way back to your computer through the interconnected USB cable, thereby possibly frying both devices.

Fair warning…

JSanders
01-02-2008, 03:15 PM
**moved to Rants & Raves**

**now moved to Hardware & Accessories section**

monkeypaw
01-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Rants and Raves? Seems more like a hardware and accessories topic to me.

I was looking at these precisely because I thought you could just leave both plugged in and then if the computer wasn't on, it'd power from the adapter. But if it's not safe for the computer or the phone, it makes no sense to have 2 connections in the back. One connector would be just fine.

I'm glad I didn't buy one since they can't get their story straight on whether it's safe or not.

JSanders
01-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Well the first part of this user's post is simply a (useless) rant.

I think it would be fine in the Hardware section as well.

Thanks monkey.