PDA

View Full Version : Browser Problems on 7290 - The Sequel

Kryshoo
01-02-2008, 07:56 PM
I just happened to go into my first thread below and for some reason my text didn't post. So I am repeating it here.

I recently purchased a refurbished 7290.

It has no Browser icon on the home page, however. When I click on Options/Advanced Options, all sorts of browser stuff is there, but if that can be accessed I can't figure out how.

I read the Blackberry website FAQ on how to load up the Browser application onto the device: go to the c:/programs/researchinmotion/blackberry/shared/loader and the browser should be there to upload via the Desktop Manager.

I did that, but on the highest version software for the Desktop Manager allowable, V.4.1 for the 7290, that path doesn't happen. I get: c:/programs/researchinmotion/blackberry but no "shared". I did find LOADER and NETSCAPE files but these were only "help" files. I could not find either the Loader or Netscape application files.

In fact when I go into the whole Research in Motion/Blackberry program file from My Computer I could find no applications anywhere in the whole program file.

Can anyone tell me how I can upload a V.4.1 browser onto my blackberry?

Also, is there any way to make the ringtones louder? I can't hear them over traffic. My dinky, basic Sony Ericcson had a wider choice of tones and could be made much louder than I seem to get with this blackberry.

Thanks in advance.

penguin3107
01-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Do you have a BlackBerry Data Plan?
You need one in order to use the Browser and/or Email features of the Blackberry device.
With the correct data plan, the browser gets wirelessly "delivered" to your device and the icon will appear.

Sounds like you're missing the proper data plan.

snowskier79
01-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Easiest way is to go into your carrier's BIS website and re-send your service books. The browser icon will appear as penguin3107 described.

Kryshoo
01-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the advice, people, perhaps I should have provided more information.

The service plan I have is prepaid. Before I got the 7290 I had a dinky little Sony Ericsson basic cellphone that came with my prepaid account. I was told I could only use the Blackberry as a phone on this account, I cannot use the Blackberry for all the other marvelous things it can do online. I am not part of any Blackberry network.

However, even with my dinky Sony Ericsson I got web access. I thought since I have a hard time hearing the phone when I'm outside I would like to download some louder ringtones to offset that. I was hoping I could do as much with the Blackberry as I could with the Sony Ericsson.

Spazmogen
01-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9800/209; U; en))

On a prepaid account the browser will not be available to you. Its a matter of not having a BB data plan, so you can't get the service books for it. When you have a data plan, you log into the BIS site and set up which email accounts work on the Berry and send Service Books to the Berry if needed.

Now that's the BB Browser. Opera 4 Mini may work for you, but you'll be limited to WAP only sites with out a BB plan. A BB plan runs $25 on Rogers. The unlimited email (no internet) is $15. I am on that $15 plan and accessed this forum via Opera 4 and WAP. Its a loop hole that it works on the $15 plan, but it works for me!

All of the other BB features should be available to you except internet based things like Maps, Google Talk etc.

You're on FIDO, so the plans may not be available to you anyway.

Kryshoo
04-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Aha, Spazmogen, I notice you posted from an Opera Mini. I finally installed an Opera Mini in my Blackberry 7290 and it seems to work fine except when I try to solve my original problem - downloading a louder ringtone.

I go via WAP retriever to download the ringtone and get the following message:
a) Your device does not currently have any 'browser configuration service book entries'. Contact your provider.

My provider has no idea what this means since Blackberry is not one of the phones they supply.

I checked Options and indeed there is something called a 'Service Book' and it does not have any entries.

Would anyone know if I could put any entry in there, and what it should be and how I would do it? Or...

Would my provider have to do it? Or...

is this a Blackberry problem or an Opera problem?:-(

Spazmogen
04-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Its a FIDO carrier issue.
And the fact that you're pre-paid.

BlackBerry Internet Service (http://www.fido.blackberry.com/)
so, FIDO does indeed support Blackberry. I just logged in with my ROGERS info and it worked fine. So, FIDO is just using Rogers' Blackberry support.

in my BlackBerry Internet Service (http://www.rogers.com/bis) account I can manually send service books to the 7290.

If I pull the battery, the 7290 gets service books from Rogers.

Since my original post, I switched to a 1.5mb plan with full browser for $15 + my voice plan. Through a billing glitch, I wound up with unlimited data as well. So I am now using the normal Blackberry browser. I still have Opera mini installed.

Kryshoo
04-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Okay. So how does this explain that with my former, extremely basic Sony Ericcson T237, which was also on prepaid, I could download all sorts of ringtones, images, themes, etc?

Does anyone else find Blackberry not loud enough out on the street?

Spazmogen
04-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Because with a Blackberry, all internet is routed through the RIM servers.

if you look at both of the BIS account pages (rogers & fido), they end in blackberry.com extensions (rogers redirects to it). The service books are sent from RIM to your device. If you do not have a post paid account, no BIS, no service books = no internet.

Kryshoo
04-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Thank you for that succint explanation.

I am able to surf the internet though if I just want to read my email and websites and stuff, just not download.

Spazmogen
04-06-2008, 05:40 AM
If you're surfing with Opera mini & WAp its a well known work around, but the 7290 insists that downloads are done vie the blackberry browser over internet, not WAP. That's where the lack of service books comes into play.

There is no way to force the Berry to use Opera to download. I tried and gave in. I know, you wanted the free solution.

RIM has made sure that you don't get it.

Have you tried the FIDO & ROGERS forums over at Howard Forums ? There you will find others on the same carrier with similar issues.