PDA

View Full Version : 8830 - Password Keeper - Synch?

AndyJCraig
01-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Is there a way to Synch my Password Keeper between my handheld and my desktop?
I'm looking to be able to use password keeper on both. (Edit/update/synch)
Can I use Password Keeper on my desktop or do I need a third party?
Is this possible?

greggebhardt
01-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Password keeper is a Blackberry device program that can only be used on your device. There is no desktop software that will use it so there is not need to sync.

There is no third party software that will use the RIM Password Keeper.

AndyJCraig
01-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Thank you very much!

Would you know if there's a 3rd Party Software that will do this without Password Keeper?
My Boss is looking to store passwords on his BB and his Desktop simultaneously. He wants to be able to Edit & Synch them but it doesn't necessarily have to be the Password Keeper. It can be a 3rd Party.

SteveO86
01-07-2008, 07:12 PM
I've been using the Ascendo Data Vault it has both a desktop and Berry application, it acts as an add-in within the Blackberry Desktop Manager that syncs them.

kermalou
01-07-2008, 07:21 PM
look at KeePass as well.

Hydro311
01-07-2008, 07:23 PM
I used SplashID on my Palm products for years, and started off with that on my BB too, but the BB interface was awful (IMHO). Ascendo DataVault is well worth your hard-earned clams - looks great on the desktop on on the BB. Five stars!

Cheers, Chris

AndyJCraig
01-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Excellent!

Thank you very much!

jsntrenkler
01-07-2008, 10:19 PM
I second Ascendo DataVault!

BFEINZIMER
01-08-2008, 12:33 AM
I count 3rd for Ascendo DataVault!!! In fact I'm gonna post a short review about them soon I'll paste a link here when I do.

donncon
01-08-2008, 07:00 AM
Yep, a 4th!

djm2
01-08-2008, 09:19 AM
and 5th

ApacheIndian
01-13-2008, 07:36 PM
After seeing this thread and so many of y'all extolling Ascendo DataVault, I went and downloaded a trial version. A couple questions for the more experienced guys:

So far I'm entering all my password/login info into the Desktop version of DataVault manually -- this is pretty painstaking. Is there an easier way? Or do I just have to bit the bullet and do it once?
I have the Desktop version setup to sync with my BB version as soon as I launch Desktop Manager, but it asks me for my DataVault password each time -- ??? Is there anyway to get rid of this and just let it sync automatically?
During the Desktop/BB sync, I get a pop-up window telling me I need to refresh my BB Datavault to be able to see the new syned data. I see that I can "Check to not show this again" for that window, but do I really have to refresh my BB Datavault each time to see the stuff synced over from my Desktop?
Is there a certain place in the New Item entry field I should put URL's? I mean do they have to be in a certain location to launch straight from there?

Forgive me -- I'm a bit of a novice and DataVault seems great, but it is a bit intimidating as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

SteveO86
01-13-2008, 08:13 PM
So far I'm entering all my password/login info into the Desktop version of DataVault manually -- this is pretty painstaking. Is there an easier way? Or do I just have to bit the bullet and do it once?

More or less bite the bullet, unless you copy/paste but that is onyl if you have the same username/password.

Nope that is probably part of the security of the application, and the passwords have to be the same.

During the Desktop/BB sync, I get a pop-up window telling me I need to refresh my BB Datavault to be able to see the new syned data. I see that I can "Check to not show this again" for that window, but do I really have to refresh my BB Datavault each time to see the stuff synced over from my Desktop?

Never seen that before.

Is there a certain place in the New Item entry field I should put URL's? I mean do they have to be in a certain location to launch straight from there?

I beleive that would be the address field, unless you have edited the templates.

Hope this helps.

ApacheIndian
01-13-2008, 09:50 PM
That was helpful -- thanks.

So if there's no way to get around entering the password everytime I sync, perhaps it'd be better just to sync Datavault seperately from Desktop Manager -- that way I just have to enter my password once in a while.

Another question:

Why not just use Outlook for this same purpose -- to store important passwords, account #'s, etc.? It already syncs automatically anyway -- ? Just trying to play devil's advocate here -- would like to hear what you guys who have been using DataVault for a while think.

SteveO86
01-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Data Vault passwords are stored with an AES encryption so it is safer( Ascendo DataVault - Best Selling Password Manager for BlackBerry (http://www.ascendo-inc.com/DataVault.html) ). The only option Outlook has is in a memo, since Outlook has no built in type of encrption or password storing application.

Just to add to it, since MS is typically targeting by hackers/crackers I myself would stay away from any type of Outlook-password-storing add-in but that is just me :) .

ApacheIndian
01-15-2008, 08:37 AM
That makes sense -- I guess one doesn't really think about security until he loses his BB -- and by then it's too late.

I just realized that upon syncing, DataVault only asks you for your password if something has been changed -- either on the BB or on the Desktop -- so that's not so bad. I'm liking DataVault :).

Thanks guys!

bobelliottjr
01-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Ascendo DataVault is way to go ...

bobelliottjr
01-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Is there a way to Synch my Password Keeper between my handheld and my desktop?
I'm looking to be able to use password keeper on both. (Edit/update/synch)
Can I use Password Keeper on my desktop or do I need a third party?
Is this possible?

Ascendo DataVault is the way to go ...

AndyJCraig
02-20-2008, 03:21 PM
I know it's been a while since I asked this question but none the les...

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!! for your help. I appreciate it. Ascendo DataVault it shall be.

Take Care - Andy Craig

greggebhardt
02-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Ascendo DataVault is the way to go ...

My cat says hello to yours!

ApacheIndian
02-24-2008, 11:21 AM
DataVault is the shiznit.

Sure it's a bit tedious to get all your info in their the first time, but it's smooth sailing after that.

Thanks for the recommendations gentlemen!