PDA

View Full Version : Sync Contacts in Gmail to BB?

CDTider
01-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Hi everyone,
Newbie here....Is there any way to sync my contacts in gmail to by bb? I have installed the google sync app but it seems to only sync the calendar. Thanks for any info.

juwaack68
01-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Welcome to the forums.

Contacts do sync from gmail. I don't believe I installed anything special (like google sync) - they just do.

CDTider
01-13-2008, 12:50 AM
hmmmm...mine only syncs the calendar. Weird...

MrKyoo
01-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Try this

In Gmail - Contacts - Export Outlook CSV

In Outlook - File - Import & Export - Import from another program or file - Comma Separated Values (Windows) OR (DOS) - Browse (locate previously save CSV file from Gmail) - Choose an option - Next

Use Desktop Manager to synchronize your BB with Outlook.

There probably is a simpler way of doing this but I can't think of it at the moment.

CDTider
01-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks....

Jannock
01-13-2008, 01:20 PM
There probably is a simpler way of doing this but I can't think of it at the moment.

Try Yahoo!go

MrKyoo
01-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Try Yahoo!goCan you import your Gmail CSV file to your Yahoo address book then sync with YahooGo?

Jannock
01-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Can you import your Gmail CSV file to your Yahoo address book then sync with YahooGo?

Yes, I think so. This is the information from Yahoo:

The import function allows you to add contact information that you have exported from any of the following applications and files:

Outlook Express
Outlook 97, 98, and 2000
Outlook 2002 (XP)/2003
Palm Desktop 2.0 or higher
Netscape Address Book
Yahoo! CSV

Before you can import contact information from any of the above applications, you must export the data from the application into specific types of files. For example, to import content information from Outlook you must first open Outlook and export the information into a Comma Separated Values or .csv file. To import content information from your Palm Desktop application, you must export the information from that application into a vCard or .vcf file.

Sith_Apprentice
01-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Seems like just as many steps as importing to Outlook and doesnt require any extra software. my $0.02

MrKyoo
01-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the tip Jannock.

Sith, it's really not any extra software especially if you're already synchronizing your BB with Outlook.

obadz
01-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Contacts do sync from gmail. I don't believe I installed anything special (like google sync) - they just do.

Are you sure about this? Others don't seem to agree. It certainly doesn't seem to work for me.

Just to make sure, we're talking about the native blackberry address book, not the address book in the GMail client for BB..

ralphgerman
02-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Try this

In Gmail - Contacts - Export Outlook CSV

In Outlook - File - Import & Export - Import from another program or file - Comma Separated Values (Windows) OR (DOS) - Browse (locate previously save CSV file from Gmail) - Choose an option - Next

Use Desktop Manager to synchronize your BB with Outlook.

Well, by importing the CSV file to Outlook and then syncing with Desktop Manager you actually sync the data in one-way. I tried to do so, but I did not finished because I wanted to import the synced file to Gmail contacts. To avoid duplicates, I tried to delete all the Gmail contacts and got a message saying that you cannot delete more than 20 contacts simultaneously. So it becomes painful to delete a large address book.
I do not know an efficient way yet to sync Gmail contacts with my Pearl. If anybody is aware of a good method, please let us all know.

rivviepop
02-04-2008, 05:21 PM
I do not know an efficient way yet to sync Gmail contacts with my Pearl. If anybody is aware of a good method, please let us all know.

I'm afraid I do double-bookkeeping as well (with GMail being the second class citizen as far as the details). In a way though this is working out for me, as my GContacts (sic) tend to get really messy due to the automated adding of addresses by the Google systems, I have a ton of "support@<hidden>" junk, masqued emails (think like "respond_12423@<hidden>") and other chaff I really don't like.

My $0.02, at first I was really annoyed that I couldn't get a seamless GContacts sync with my device, but over time I'm kinda glad I don't have the Google contacts-automation stuff cluttering up my nice, clean address book with random crap.