PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide which carrier for my new Blackberry.

dex
01-13-2008, 02:33 PM
So here are the 2 emails I just sent to Verizon and Sprint, I'm trying to decide between the 2 CDMA providers.

SPRINT:
1. I looked in your brochure and it says the unlimited Blackberry data plan is $30 per month and includes unlimited SMS as well as GPS. I also saw that there is a plan for unlimited usage of the phone as a modem for $50 a month, currently specially priced at $40 per month. I want to know if this phone as modem plan includes the unlimited SMS and GPS as well, and if it replaces the unlimited Blackberry in all other aspects.
2. With my current provider if I go out of the country with a partnering CDMA company, my phone will automatically work but I will have to pay extra charges including roaming and long distance. Is this so with Sprint? I saw something saying I have to pay an extra few dollars a month just to have my phone roam in another country, and then pay the extra charges on top of that.
3. I am not interested in the prices for roaming while in Canada, but rather for the prices of calling to Canada. So do you offer calling plans which will enable me to call to Canada without incurring long distance charges? How much are these plans?
4. Am I able to chat with my friends via MSN with the Blackberry 8830? And if I do, what are the charges? Does it charge per kilobyte or per message?
5. The biggest attraction to Sprint for me is that I heard the devices are not crippled. What I mean is that the GPS and OBEx (Object Exchange) portions of the bluetooth are not disabled and therefore I can write my own Java applications and upload them to the device relative to a custom GPS or bluetooth application. All other carriers cripple their data devices in this sense, can you confirm that your devices are open?
6. Which other charges are there that will show on my bill besides the monthly charges? I am asking in regard to any taxes or network access fees.
7. Upon activation, do you require more than a single month's payment? 2 months?
Thank you, I am trying to decide if I want to go with Sprint or Verizon. The biggest attraction for me to Sprint is the devices aren't crippled. The biggest attraction for me to Verizon is they include calling to Canada in their plans.

VERIZON:
1. I looked at your brochure and saw that your unlimited Blackberry plan is $30 per month. Does this include anything extra such as downloads, MSN, GPS or unlimited SMS? If not, how much is the MSN, unlimited SMS and GPS features monthly?
2. With my current provider when I leave the country, I pay my per-minute charges, plus long distance charges, plus roaming charges. Is it the same with Verizon?
3. Regarding the Nationwide Plus Canada plans, I see one for $60 per month giving me 450 minutes plus 1000 evening and weekend minutes. Can I add the unlimited Blackberry data plan to this?
4. Am I able to chat with my friends via MSN with the Blackberry 8830? And if I do, what are the charges? Does it charge per kilobyte or per message?
5. Which other charges are there that will show on my bill besides the monthly charges? I am asking in regard to any taxes or network access fees.
6. Upon activation, do you require more than a single month's payment? 2 months?
Thank you, I am trying to decide if I want to go with Sprint or Verizon. The biggest attraction for me to Sprint is the devices aren't crippled. The biggest attraction for me to Verizon is you include calling to Canada in some plans.

As you can see, I'm tore up about giving my money to a provider (Verizon) who chooses to cripple their devices and leave their customers to stick their thumbs up their asses. So my question is if I buy the Verizon Navigation application every month, does that open up the hardware for me to be able to use my own third party applications on it? Like the ones developed here with the web uploading and stuff.
Also, since the OBEx (Object Exchange) on the bluetooth is disabled, is there any way at all to enable it again?
Also, do you know how they differentiate between email and web usage from the phone as a modem usage? How would they know? Can I just get the Unlimited Email And Web plan and then use my phone as a modem anyway?
Any comments on the coverage? I'm going to be all over the country in the next 2 years or so. Customer service?
Any personal answers to the rest of my questions I asked both providers? Thanks!

vakulm
01-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Blackberry service is independent of its provider, all are fine.
Go with one that suits your needs.

I would take the 8830 GSM/CDMA version BB from Sprint.

JSanders
01-13-2008, 02:52 PM
No, Vzw only allows GPS with their VZW Navigator application, this is has been cussed and discussed on the board here.

As far as your carrier choice... you do recall you have a whole thread here on that question. Most of those answers still apply about coverage.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/99363-carrier-go.html

AND, dex you have a bunch of people waiting on answers from you, over here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/developer-forum/99388-what-kind-blackberry-software-do-you-want.html

From whichever carrier you choose, get their BlackBerry Unlimited Data Plan, and most of your question above will be solved. JiveTalk with solve your question about MSN Messenger, and JT is all data.

Take care.

ArgonNJ
01-13-2008, 03:06 PM
More important then plan price is coverage. Make sure you have good coverage in areas you will using your phone. A great plan and cool phone doesn't mean squat if your coverage sucks.

rambo47
01-13-2008, 03:24 PM
More important then plan price is coverage. Make sure you have good coverage in areas you will using your phone. A great plan and cool phone doesn't mean squat if your coverage sucks.

I second this. Coverage is the key to a good Blackberry experience. Everything else comes second.(y)

tsac
01-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Sounds like Sprint has good prices too bad the coverage in my area is not complete.

dex
01-13-2008, 07:23 PM
No, Vzw only allows GPS with their VZW Navigator application, this is has been cussed and discussed on the board here.

As far as your carrier choice... you do recall you have a whole thread here on that question. Most of those answers still apply about coverage.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/99363-carrier-go.html

AND, dex you have a bunch of people waiting on answers from you, over here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/developer-forum/99388-what-kind-blackberry-software-do-you-want.html

From whichever carrier you choose, get their BlackBerry Unlimited Data Plan, and most of your question above will be solved. JiveTalk with solve your question about MSN Messenger, and JT is all data.

Take care.

I thought that first thread had gone to the land of wind and wyverns. As for the second, I've been trying to reply to that thread for months but couldn't log into the forums for some reason. But I just got back online here again and downloaded the RIM JDE again this afternoon. I've already got 1 or 2 of the ideas picked out, going to mess with the development over the next few weeks.

s0ldats
01-13-2008, 11:52 PM
full obex isn't supported by verizon, however you can still transfer files through bluetooth from within the media application.

Redflea
01-14-2008, 12:28 AM
Full OBEX isn't supported by RIM...not a Verizon issue.

dex
01-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Full OBEX isn't supported by RIM...not a Verizon issue.

Is it OBEx I'd need to use the Blackberry to connect to my computer via a dongle and operate things via software? It's hard to explain exactly what I want to do, there's a circuit board called Fusion Brain and it hooks to the computer via USB and has digital outputs that you can hook to a relay and then to any electrical appliance. I push a button, it's picked up by Bluetooth dongle, software sends it to Fusion Brain, Fusion Brain redirects it to preprogrammed output to switch on or off appliance. Overall I want to control things like my entertainment system in my house and the lights and stuff.

Dubdub
01-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Pick the carrier that offers the best coverage where you will use the device- where you live, work, ravel and play. All the other stuff is secondary and they don't matter if you don't have a signal.

Also, do not trust the coverage maps. Talk to family, friends, coworkers, etc.

dex
01-14-2008, 08:21 PM
OK, I just had an extensive session with both Sprint and Verizon about my most important issues. The girl at Verizon was wicked, she knew everything! I even asked her about the crippled devices and she knew exactly what I was talking about. Her suggestion was to purchase the VZ Navigator for a daily use for like $2 and that permanently opens the GPS hardware on the device so I can use third party applications with it. And as far as OBEx, it's pretty open as it is, she knows people who use it to enter security codes for their house and stuff. So that solves that. And the guy at Sprint was the most boring guy ever, totally monosyllabic. However I still can't decide so I have a question for Sprint and Verizon users:
Does anyone (mostly Sprint users) notice problems with coverage anywhere in the USA? I hear they're not as good as Verizon and I don't want to sign into a 2 year agreement with a shitty service provider. Also, who does Sprint roam onto in Canada?

SheepDog
01-14-2008, 09:26 PM
sounds like the VZ girl is just a good sales person. She makes money if you buy VZ. VZ usually has the best coverage but they get it by denying things like open gps and no options.

All companies have issues and Sprint does too. the call center folks reek. But the phones are nice and in my area network is great. make your own decision up and bounce out of the contract within 30 days if you are not happy. They all have that.

BTW: your liberal use of obscenities doesnt make points with me. Obscenities and violence are the last refuge of the incompetent.

sprintbbtech
01-16-2008, 02:23 PM
I work for Sprints Blackberry Technical Support I would highly suggest sprint here are some of the plusses:

The New Pearl comes with a 30 dollar plan which is unlim text, gps, sprint tv, picture mail, email and internet.

The 39.99 plan includes Phone as A Modem, Unlim Email, and Internet. Any type of instant messaging service you use is unlimited it does not take any kb or minutes. The company also has a special technical support line just for BB users so anything you ever need to know or do on the phone we can provide. All are phones are solid for right now though I would suggest straying from the pearl because it still has some kinks that need to be worked out. The 8703 is the phone I see the least of issues with a very solid device.

Dubdub
01-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Price means nothing if you don't have coverage.

sprintbbtech
01-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Sprint is one of the most widespread coverage ares in the US and has the fastest internet connection. So know your info please?

Walt
01-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Sprint is great. I travel and never had a problem with coverage. I tether my Pearl to my laptop all the time and it's fast as long as I'm in a broadband area. Verizon has good coverage too but they cripple their BB's so you can't use the internal GPS and phone as modem cost $15 mo extra. What's up with that?

BigPotato1
01-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Ever since I discovered that GSM devices get better battery consumption, I've stayed away from CDMA...then again, I miss Verizon's coverage...

Dubdub
01-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Sprint is one of the most widespread coverage ares in the US and has the fastest internet connection. So know your info please?

I disagree. I have found Sprint to be less than adequate unless you travel to the larger metro areas and stay along the Interstate highway system. Verizon has the best network of the CDMA carriers and ATT for GSM. They all have holes, so you need to do your homework and find out which is best where you will use it. I assume you are a happy Sprint customer and probably a bit biased as well. While one carrier is great for one person (you), it might not be for another.

Location, Location, Location.

jsconyers
01-17-2008, 12:26 PM
I disagree. I have found Sprint to be less than adequate unless you travel to the larger metro areas and stay along the Interstate highway system. Verizon has the best network of the CDMA carriers and ATT for GSM. They all have holes, so you need to do your homework and find out which is best where you will use it. I assume you are a happy Sprint customer and probably a bit biased as well. While one carrier is great for one person (you), it might not be for another.

Location, Location, Location.

I agree 100% here. Sprint is good in my area too, However if I travel about 2 hours north, no coverage. Verizon on the other hand has good coverage in both areas. It is all a matter of location.

Shaun
01-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Coverage
Friends/Family/Company/BB Community Support
Device Selection
Price

This is how I decide where to take my business.

No service, no go.

I have very few friends, family and coworkers on Sprint, which makes it hard to get an accurate, first hand, description of the service. Also, the more people you know on the service, or the more people you can find on the forums that use your provider the better. Sorry, but the opinion/feedback of an employee of a provider carries no weight with me. Providers also have features on their plans that make talking to certain people free of minute usage, this should be kept in mind as well. So this limits my choices ATT, VZW, or TM, so for the sake of this thread, I have to say go with VZW.

It is pretty widely reported that VZW retards their phones the most, but they do have a pretty darn good phone selection.

Price... well, more important to others, but I for one will pay big money if items 1-3 are covered on my list above.

My advice to the OP (VZW vs Sprint), go with VZW.

Shaun
01-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Just caught this item today on another site, and thought it may have some value in the OPs decision.

Sprint announces massive layoffs, store closings amid subscriber defection - Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/18/sprint-announces-massive-layoffs-store-closings-amid-subscriber/)

sparrky
01-18-2008, 10:10 PM
So it sounds like you can't install and run BB Maps on a VZW Blackberry 8800 unless you buy the Navigator service?

I have it working well on a Cingular 8800 without any additional monthly charges.

OK, I just had an extensive session with both Sprint and Verizon about my most important issues. The girl at Verizon was wicked, she knew everything! I even asked her about the crippled devices and she knew exactly what I was talking about. Her suggestion was to purchase the VZ Navigator for a daily use for like $2 and that permanently opens the GPS hardware on the device so I can use third party applications with it. And as far as OBEx, it's pretty open as it is, she knows people who use it to enter security codes for their house and stuff. So that solves that. And the guy at Sprint was the most boring guy ever, totally monosyllabic. However I still can't decide so I have a question for Sprint and Verizon users:
Does anyone (mostly Sprint users) notice problems with coverage anywhere in the USA? I hear they're not as good as Verizon and I don't want to sign into a 2 year agreement with a shitty service provider. Also, who does Sprint roam onto in Canada?

tsac
01-18-2008, 10:39 PM
I have a Sprint Cell phone for other uses and I find it "ok" for coverage. If BB service is the same i would look elsewhere. I use ATT because of travel locations but verizon is starting to look good. The only issue I have with Verizon is the new BB plans ( on web site )start at $79 and dont state unlimited data other than email. They have another plan starting at $99.
No mention of internet access or cost.

Redflea
01-19-2008, 12:36 AM

The comment on paying for the short-term (daily fee) VZNav unlocking the GPS for use w/other software is incorrect, as far as I've ever heard.

VZW has the GPS HW in the Pearl tied to their VZNav software, and you won't be able to use the Pearl's GPS w/other software even if you use VZNav.

Redflea
01-19-2008, 12:44 AM
Oh...I forgot to note that I have consistently found the VZW coverage to be as good as or better than the coverage of friends/family w/other carriers. Coverage is most important w/me.

Just my experience, YMMV.

orbitz
01-19-2008, 10:10 PM
As a long time Sprint customer, I would still rank Verizon above Sprint as far as coverage from everyone I have talked too. It hasn't been an issue for me but I do know at least one or two people who switched from Sprint to Verizon and found it solved their coverage issues. I also think Verizon has a limit on their unlimited data plans...Sprint does not provided you are on a plan that specifically allows tethering. Sprint does, however, hammer you if you wind up roaming off their network for more then 50% of your call minutes (i.e. there is no "unlimited roaming". Don't think I have ever heard of Verizon doing that). In fact, Sprint will cancel you if you roam excessively. That attitude is probably part of why customers are defecting en masse :)

ArgonNJ
01-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Sprint does, however, hammer you if you wind up roaming off their network for more then 50% of your call minutes (i.e. there is no "unlimited roaming". Don't think I have ever heard of Verizon doing that). In fact, Sprint will cancel you if you roam excessively. That attitude is probably part of why customers are defecting en masse :)

Sprint isn't the only carrier that does this. I believe AT&T has the same policy. As far as the mass defections go, I think this is probably the former Nextel users leaving, not the PCS ones. Say what you want about Sprint, but they have a great data network and their plans are more affordable then Verizon's.

kjjb0204
01-21-2008, 11:11 AM
I've had Sprint for 8 years in Florida and recently moved to New Hampshire. Sprint coverage in NH is spotty at best and I can only make most calls in roaming mode, so I got a Verizon BB 8830 four months ago, and coverage in the whole region is great. I don't think I've dropped a single call on my VZW bb and I travel quite a bit around New England. Just about everyone I know up here has Verizon because of the great coverage.

randymfl
08-20-2008, 07:17 PM
I have an 8830 on SPRINT and Man do I wish I had Verizon or AT&T.

NO WIFI SUPPORT
NO BLUETOOTH MODEM SUPPORT
NO CAMERA AVAILABLE
FASTEST INTERNET MY ASS!!!! AOL IN 1988 WAS FASTER!!!

joeygator
08-20-2008, 07:35 PM
I have an 8830 on SPRINT and Man do I wish I had Verizon or AT&T.

NO WIFI SUPPORT
NO BLUETOOTH MODEM SUPPORT
NO CAMERA AVAILABLE
FASTEST INTERNET MY ASS!!!! AOL IN 1988 WAS FASTER!!!

I'm not on Sprint, but I think the network speed is well documented vs. most of the others.

WIFI - Why, with unlimited data and voice available for $99, why would a sprint user care about WIFI unless in an area with no coverage?

Camera is available on the curve.

Bluetooth support should be a function of the device. Even VZW will help you use bluetooth to tether, but it will definitely be slow.

irockash
08-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Sprint isn't the only carrier that does this. I believe AT&T has the same policy. As far as the mass defections go, I think this is probably the former Nextel users leaving, not the PCS ones. Say what you want about Sprint, but they have a great data network and their plans are more affordable then Verizon's.

With AT&T, they don't charge you anything for roaming at all, until you keep up 60% of roaming for three months, then its a "stop or we'll stop you" sorta deal.

But thats just relative to your location... if you're in a Sprint or AT&T location and won't be roaming, this doesn't really matter unless you're planning on moving... in which case, this policy also gets you out of your contract.

I didn't really add anything to the thread (I stick to GSM), just thought I'd clear that up.

JSahim
08-21-2008, 01:34 AM
If your dead set on CDMA, then I'd highly recommend Verizon over Sprint. I've tried them both, and if you go with Sprint, you'll need an extra battery to handle all the time you'll spend on hold waiting for their 3rd rate, 3rd world country customer service line to pick up and pretend to fix the various problems you'll have with your account. VZW's call center isn't outsourced and you can almost always get to a representative immediately without holding. Sprint may be cheaper, but you get what you pay for. How much is your time worth?

As far as coverage goes, it really depends on where you are planning on spanding the most of your time. When I lived in Virginia Beach, both Sprint and Verizon had horrible coverage, while T-Mobile was excellent. Now that I'm in Northern Virginia, Verizon is everywhere and everyone else is spotty. I've got T-Mobile now mainly because the customer cervice can't be beat and uma is awesome (for my wife's curve anyway - I can't get my unlocked AT&T 8820 to use uma).

Finally, if you do go with VZW and you already have Verizon Residential, STAY AWAY from their one-bill option. The first time you have a billing issue, you'll have the runaround of your life as each company tries to tell you that the other company should fix it.

jsntrenkler
08-21-2008, 01:43 AM
If your dead set on CDMA, then I'd highly recommend Verizon over Sprint. I've tried them both, and if you go with Sprint, you'll need an extra battery to handle all the time you'll spend on hold waiting for their 3rd rate, 3rd world country customer service line to pick up and pretend to fix the various problems you'll have with your account. VZW's call center isn't outsourced and you can almost always get to a representative immediately without holding. Sprint may be cheaper, but you get what you pay for. How much is your time worth?

As far as coverage goes, it really depends on where you are planning on spanding the most of your time. When I lived in Virginia Beach, both Sprint and Verizon had horrible coverage, while T-Mobile was excellent. Now that I'm in Northern Virginia, Verizon is everywhere and everyone else is spotty. I've got T-Mobile now mainly because the customer cervice can't be beat and uma is awesome (for my wife's curve anyway - I can't get my unlocked AT&T 8820 to use uma).

Finally, if you do go with VZW and you already have Verizon Residential, STAY AWAY from their one-bill option. The first time you have a billing issue, you'll have the runaround of your life as each company tries to tell you that the other company should fix it.

Verizon does too Outsource some of their call traffic. Have for years, you just don't normally realize it. Next time you chat with Customer Service, ask them "Is this a Verizon Call Center or 3rd Party?" ...