PDA

View Full Version : How Bad is the 7100i?

ecoreef
01-14-2008, 10:54 AM
I've been waiting to get my first Blackberry for quite some time, but I'm stuck with Nextel and the only Blackberry that is offered is the 7100i. I would love to switch to another carrier just so I could get an 8800 or an 8300, but my work wants me to stay with Nextel. Should I suck it up and get a 7100i because it's better than no Blackberry, or should I hold out in hopes that Blackberry will release another Blackberry for Nextel sometime this decade (half kidding)? In my opinion the 7100i seems big and outdated, and it appears the battery life is terrible when compared to others, but what would I be missing out on? What can't the 7100i do that some of the newer models can? Looking for some advice...

JSanders
01-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Seriously, Nextel won't be releasing a new one anytime soon.

The 7100i is not a 'bad" device, it is just not the most up to date. As far as email capability you will be on fair even footing.

The biggest difference will be screen visibility when outdoors (the 71xx suck on the daylight) and the lack of media on the 7100 (video, mp3, etc). For a pure corporate email device, it will be good.

paulbblc
01-14-2008, 11:03 AM
I would try hard to convince your work to let you switch carriers. 7100i is not bad but as JSanders said is getting towards the end of it's lifespan and support/updates will begin to diminish.

ecoreef
01-14-2008, 11:44 AM
So it'll do what I "need" it to do, but not some of the things I "want" it to do -- it's just not fun. Does anyone know what the requirements will be for the new Sling Player for Blackberry? I'm thinking that it may not work with the 7100i, but I can't find anything that tells me the requirements.

juwaack68
01-14-2008, 11:49 AM
I seriously doubt it will work with the 7100i.....

Are you stuck with Nextel due to work or your own coverage?

ecoreef
01-14-2008, 11:57 AM
The DC feature is extremely convenient in the office/factory setting that I'm in. A quick "beep" to supervisors and others in the factory saves a lot of walking around. Once everyone is used to the DC, they become very closed-minded about using a phone instead of a beep. I mentioned that I was thinking about switching, and it seemed like it was the end of the world to everyone I work with. I'm hoping Sprint/Nextel gives up on combining the two technologies, and officially declares the DC "dead".

Dawg
01-14-2008, 04:52 PM
I will say that I carried a 7100i for a long time. Its a great DC device that just happens to do BB stuff.

They are a little out of date but still work great. The only issue these days are the java errors that are reported on a daily basis to my IT guys.

tomtheguitarguy
01-14-2008, 07:38 PM
I would carry two devices - I know that's probably something you're fond of. I'm assuming the company is paying for your DC? Keep the walkie takie device (i believe you can remove the phone service from it) and then get the blackberry you want (you'll need OS 4.3 for slingbox if I recall correctly) and use the blackberry as your phone. Since everyone in the company is used to "beeping" you all they have to change is your telephone # (unless you can port the phone #)

When you're off work, ditch the nextel and just carry the BB.

Just a thought.

Dawg
01-14-2008, 08:25 PM
I did exactly this for about a month and then realized how much I didnt even use the DC anymore. Talked my bosses into Verizon now we are 100% free of the DC. I have to admit I do have the nextel chirp as a quick tone while BB is in holster in a loud enviroment with vibrate.

SheepDog
01-14-2008, 09:11 PM
nextel chirp on a VZ! I bet that would make the VZ dude with the glasses ill!

He looks ill anyway!

ecoreef
01-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Get rid of the phone portion of the Nextel, keep the DC, and get a nice Blackberry at another carrier? Sounds kinda crazy, but I'll look into that. I wonder if Nextel offers a plan that's strictly DC...

ltj13
01-15-2008, 10:20 AM
(you'll need OS 4.3 for slingbox if I recall correctly)

Thats likely but i dont think that it has been confirmed yet... The slingplayer for BB's hasnt even reached beta yet...

jdposhkus
01-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Get rid of the phone portion of the Nextel, keep the DC, and get a nice Blackberry at another carrier? Sounds kinda crazy, but I'll look into that. I wonder if Nextel offers a plan that's strictly DC...

They did at one point. not sure if they still do.
You could always go boost mobile....

ecoreef
01-16-2008, 08:49 AM
I called Nextel, and they said for $34.99, I could keep/have unlimited DC and my phone would be "restricted". I'm considering it, but I'm looking into what's available on some type of shared plan with the same idea to see if I can save a little more money.