PDA

View Full Version : BB Messenger

bob_az
01-15-2008, 10:05 AM
I have an ongoing issue with BB Messenger. It just seems really buggy to me. I'll have messages appear that contacts sent me weeks ago (and in the interim we have had numerous convos on BB Messenger), it's really cumbersome at times, etc. Do others experience this issue? It just doesnt seem that sophisticated of a communications tool. Has RIM introduced a newer version possibly? I'm running what I thought was the most current version (downloaded it from the RIM download section, have a verizon 8830 non-BES).

Thatzmister2u
01-15-2008, 11:11 AM
I have an ongoing issue with BB Messenger. It just seems really buggy to me. I'll have messages appear that contacts sent me weeks ago (and in the interim we have had numerous convos on BB Messenger), it's really cumbersome at times, etc. Do others experience this issue? It just doesnt seem that sophisticated of a communications tool. Has RIM introduced a newer version possibly? I'm running what I thought was the most current version (downloaded it from the RIM download section, have a verizon 8830 non-BES).

Do you use it a lot? You may want to clear out some of the old conversations as they take a lot of space. Have you done a hard reset on your BB (pull the battery while the device is on?) Keep in mind you may be communication with contacts that have different carriers and service coverage.

It's been rock solid for the most part for me.

E-

John Clark
01-15-2008, 11:23 AM
There are bugs in BBMessenger. I agree with the above. Keep those conversations cleaned up and reboot often if you do a lot of BBMessenger.

Also, the Blackberry download site doesn't have the most recent version of BBMessneger. In fact, it's a much older version than what comes preinstalled on your handheld. Also, the downloaded version won't even work on a 4.2 device so I'm guessing you don't have the version available at Blackberry.com. You can check by going to Options >Advanced Options >Applications and checking the version number of BBMessenger. It should be the same as your OS version.

ronx
01-15-2008, 11:27 AM
i just recently started using BB Messenger (i had deleted it to save space until i accumulated enough PINs to make it worthwhile)... haven't had a single issue with it yet, but i have a question about what you guys just said about cleaning up conversations.... are conversations archived? or are you just talking about ending open conversations?

John Clark
01-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah, end conversations you're not actively talking in. However, I've noticed that even that doesn't seem to help until pulling the battery. If I get a few conversations going at once and switch back and forth between them, eventually I'll get an "uncaught exception....outofbounds exception" and the app will close. When I open again, I may have a stuck icon on the home screen and eventually the conversations will get jumbled. Eventually, if I don't pull the battery I will get the memory cleaner (starts hourglassing) and I lose call logs and emails. So, now at the first sign of any trouble, I reboot my device.

martymar1222
01-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I've only input 6 contacts into BB Messenger, yet it says that I've got 6 out of 7 contacts. What's going on? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sith_Apprentice
01-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I've only input 6 contacts into BB Messenger, yet it says that I've got 6 out of 7 contacts. What's going on? Any help would be much appreciated.

check at the bottom, you may have a pending field that is collapsed