PDA

View Full Version : Given an 8830...newbie questions.

radar44
01-18-2008, 06:23 PM
First off thanks in advance for replying! I have been given a Verizon 8830 and I have a few questions. I will try to ask things I could not find in FAQ.
- It will be used for BIS (see i'm catching on quick)
- I was given the phone only, so which ver. of Desktop mgr. do I need?
- When going to Blackberry Messenger I get a message that says Please enter a password to be used only if your contact list is erased. I have not done the ESN transfer yet, will that go away when I do that?
- Should I do a hard reset even though he has erased all messages, emails, contacts, etc...?
- Should I go through the Setup Wizard after activating the phone?
- Just saw a calendar patch thread, do I need that patch? I will be using Outlook 2003 to sync my Cal, and Task.

That's all for now, I'm sure there will be more as the weekend goes on. Thanks!

genearch
01-18-2008, 06:32 PM
First off thanks in advance for replying! I have been given a Verizon 8830 and I have a few questions. I will try to ask things I could not find in FAQ.
- It will be used for BIS (see i'm catching on quick)
- I was given the phone only, so which ver. of Desktop mgr. do I need?
- When going to Blackberry Messenger I get a message that says Please enter a password to be used only if your contact list is erased. I have not done the ESN transfer yet, will that go away when I do that?
- Should I do a hard reset even though he has erased all messages, emails, contacts, etc...?
- Should I go through the Setup Wizard after activating the phone?
- Just saw a calendar patch thread, do I need that patch? I will be using Outlook 2003 to sync my Cal, and Task.

That's all for now, I'm sure there will be more as the weekend goes on. Thanks!

4.3 - Get it here: BlackBerry® Software Updates (http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/download.aspx) (you will need both desktop and handheld)

Do the wipe and you will start from scratch. Yes,the error will go away. Then activate it and lastly run the setup.

JSanders
01-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Radar,

A hard reset is simply pulling the battery, you won't lose any data. It is recommended for fixing simply unexplainable glitches, clearing the memory cache, and sometime reconnecting to the network.

To load a fresh OS... read and follow here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/106817-latest-8830-os-4-2-2-339-4-2-2-176-3-0-0-79-aliant-mobility.html

radar44
01-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys! Jsanders, this pose's a question. Can I have Desktop Mgr on 2 computers? I want my office pc to be the one that sync's for my cal, contact, email, etc... But can I install all needed on my home pc this weekend and still install everything Monday at work and it be my main sync point?

Dubdub
01-18-2008, 08:38 PM
I have mine on at least 3 different computers. Keep in mind it will sync the calendar and contact info on all and merge it into one calendar and contact list. Can't have separate ones for work and personal.

akosnitzky
01-19-2008, 07:39 AM
4.3 - Get it here: BlackBerry® Software Updates (http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/download.aspx) (you will need both desktop and handheld)

Do the wipe and you will start from scratch. Yes,the error will go away. Then activate it and lastly run the setup.

4.3 is out? Pardon me, as I have been out of the loop lately.

penguin3107
01-19-2008, 07:43 AM
4.3 is out? Pardon me, as I have been out of the loop lately.

4.3 has been out for months.

NJBlackBerry
01-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Desktop Manager 4.3 is out.

Rainbowtyedye
01-19-2008, 09:37 AM
I just got my first BB 3 weeks ago and it came with v4.2.2. Looks like I better update it.

Guess you can't always depend on the carrier to give you the most recent version of anything when you buy your phone.

Dubdub
01-19-2008, 10:29 AM
I just got my first BB 3 weeks ago and it came with v4.2.2. Looks like I better update it.

Guess you can't always depend on the carrier to give you the most recent version of anything when you buy your phone.

Don't confuse the OS with Desktop Manager. Also DM 4.2 SP2 seems to work better than DM 4.3, at least for some people. If what you have installed is working fine, I really wouldn't upgrade, just for the sake of having the latest version.

NJBlackBerry
01-19-2008, 10:38 AM

There are two pieces of independent software - Desktop Manager and the Handheld OS. Both are written by RIM. Desktop Manager 4.3 is available for download. Handheld OS 4.3 is NOT available for the 8830. So there is nothing for you to update on the BB itself.

radar44
01-19-2008, 04:44 PM

I have downloaded and installed Desktop Mgr. 4.3. I have also downloaded the handheld software 2.7, this is where my question is. Do I run and install the handheld software befor or after connecting my 8830 via usb to my PC and starting Desktop mgr.

Thanks

JSanders
01-19-2008, 04:56 PM
radar, with the BB not connected yet, install the OS exe file you downloaded... and the version should be 4.2 something, not 2.7 (that is the package version or something). This the latest OS for the 8820, here.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/106817-latest-8830-os-4-2-2-339-4-2-2-176-3-0-0-79-aliant-mobility.html

Follow those instructions in that link, especially about deleting the vendor.xml file.

The OS will install to the PC. Then you connect your BB via USB, open Desktop Manager and it should prompt you to upgrade. If not, click on Application Loader, and it should.

radar44
01-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Yeah I have downloaded 4.2.2 rel 339 as the OS but in the second post someone told me to download Desktop Mgr. and the handheld version. So I downloaded something called Handheld Software ver. 2.7. This is where I got it...
https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do

Do I even need this?? If so how do I install it, before or after connecting via usb?

Thanks again.

Dubdub
01-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Make sure the OS is for the 8830, if that is the model you have, otherwise you might brick the device.

NJBlackBerry
01-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Look at the top of this forum - it will show you the latest version of the handheld OS for the 8830 - it will be stickied. v2.7 is for much, much older devices and will not install on an 8830.

Desktop Manager v4.2 or v4.3 are fine.

Download and install Desktop Manager.
Do not run it when the installation is complete.

You need to download the specific Handheld OS for the 8830.
Download it; execute it to install it to your PC.

Connect your BB and start Desktop Manager.

JSanders
01-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Radar, my post just above specifically gives you the download you need, and the instructions.

Ditto what NJ and others mention as well...

radar44
01-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Thank y'all very very much, everything went perfect!