PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Pearl Problem, Opening Menu's and apps on it's own...

markjnj
01-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Hello everyone, I have an 8100 pearl and have seen posts about this issue by others who are having the same problem but I don't think i noticed a sure fix for it. what seems to be hapening is that the phone seems to be opening up the menu and selecting an action on it's own. I noticed it was doing his in the middle of the night when the phone kept flashing on and when I looked at it it was doing it. I've tried taking out the trackball to clean around and in it (haven't used a q-tip w/alcohol yet). Was wondering if anyone else had any ideas. I had just upgraded it to the latest tmobile software, 4.2.1.107. It is out of warranty so if you have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Marc

TroyDBrown
01-22-2008, 01:18 PM
The only thing I could think of is a Trackball issue or an internal problem. Have you tried lightly touching the trackball to see if it does anything?

markjnj
01-22-2008, 01:28 PM
yeah, sometimes when I'm scrolling using the trackball it'll automatically start opening up menus, and selecting options w/out me clicking on the track wheel. You think the metal pin underneath the trackball is making a connection or something maybe? I didn't try bending it up higher...

Thatzmister2u
01-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Was the device exposed to moisture?

markjnj
01-22-2008, 01:36 PM
no exposure to moisture. the watermark sticker in the battery area appears to still be white. I haven't opened up the device to see if there is another sticker in there.

Thatzmister2u
01-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Ok, then I am wondering if the contact below the trackball assembly (on the circuit board) has lost it's "Spring effect". (There is not a spring but the contact shaped like a copper colored spoon) This contact floats above the circuit board and when you depress the trackball it forces it down to perform an "enter". You might want to remove the trackball assembly and see if it is almost flat against the circuit board. If so remove the battery and you can try gently bending it back up. this should also result in your trackball feeling "springier"... :)

Good luck and only do this at your own risk. Make sure the battery is out!

E_

TroyDBrown
01-22-2008, 01:57 PM
I also think it is a trackball issue with all you have said. Give ThatsMister2u's advice a try. Be very gentle.

markjnj
01-22-2008, 02:36 PM
thanks guys... I'll give it a shot tonight.

scutr02
01-24-2008, 07:09 AM
Sorry to bear bad news, but i had the same problem a few months back and had to call AT&T for a factory refurb. of my 8800. That was their solution anyway. No fixes from their end. I'm getting to the end of my warranty soon. I hope it doesn't happen again. Good luck.

gixxer750kid
01-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Tmo has a solution that worked for me I had it happen 2 times now, the first time it just went away and the second time I called Tmo ready to send the phone in and they did a "reset on their side" that cleared it up immediately. Call Blackberry support and ask them to do it and see if that helps, the guy I talked to was very helpful.

Thatzmister2u
01-24-2008, 12:50 PM
a "reset on their side"

Gotta love those create Customer Service Reps!!! :)

TroyDBrown
01-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Gotta love those create Customer Service Reps!!! :)

I called once to complain about reception in an area I was in. The rep took cross street details from me, put me on hold, came back a few minutes later and said " Give it a few hours we will increase the signal strength in that area" I hung up at that point.

Thatzmister2u
01-24-2008, 03:12 PM
I called once to complain about reception in an area I was in. The rep took cross street details from me, put me on hold, came back a few minutes later and said " Give it a few hours we will increase the signal strength in that area" I hung up at that point.

That is GREAT!!!

markjnj
01-26-2008, 08:26 AM
I just took my pearl apart this morning, bent the pin underneath the trackball up a little higher, and cleaned around the insides...hopefully this helps the trackball is springier which is nice. I'll keep you all posted...

-Marc

goodoldayz
01-28-2008, 12:18 AM
bump for results cuz i have the same issue, its as if its possessed.. ive sent blank emails and text messages at 3 am due to this problem. its uber anoying.

Thatzmister2u
01-28-2008, 12:35 AM
bump for results cuz i have the same issue, its as if its possessed.. ive sent blank emails and text messages at 3 am due to this problem. its uber anoying.

There is one above you. Are you still under warranty? If so return the device. If not and you haven't gotten it wet you might give it a shot. At lease pull the trackball assembly and blow some canned air in there.

Good luck!

E-

goodoldayz
01-28-2008, 06:26 AM
i saw the one above me i just wanted a more in depth review of how its been acting since he did that..... mines no longer under wanrranty and its never been wet, and ive cleaned it out with the canned air as well.... ATT already replaced it once before the warranty went out.

markjnj
01-28-2008, 09:05 AM
1 day has passed and it's still working fine. I would like to give it until the end of the week to confirm that this did in fact fix the problem. I will keep you all posted towards the end of the week.

-Marc

markjnj
01-31-2008, 07:11 AM
Its been 4 days and I haven't had the problem again(knock on wood.) Looks like it worked so farrrr. Figured I'd just keep you all updated on how everything worked out.

-marc

goodoldayz
02-03-2008, 11:30 PM
i did it as well and i got substantial improvements it wasnt perfect but its definitely better than before....

i do feel the need to warn anyone trying to open it up and clean as much as possible DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK be very carefull the small magnet parts started falling out and it was very hard and time consuming to put it back together.

bhbrown8
02-06-2008, 03:43 PM
I refurbish 8100's at work almost everyday and have come across this problem quite numerously (of the phone opening and selecting programs on it's own). Generally what happens is there is corrosion that develops under the small orange square piece that is directly under the trackball (on the motherboard). If you take a small flathead screwdrive, you can slowly and carefully peel back the piece (from one corner). Don't take it off completely, simply hold it back w/ another screw driver, and use the free one to scrape off the corrosion (don't use a cleaner b/c you will wipe off the adhesive and it won't stick right again). Also, don't use a utility knife or anything sharp b/c it's easier to tear the piece and harder to peel back and fix. This usually fixes the problem. Corrosion usually appears under the keypad also, so if your keys are sticking or getting hard to push, this could also be a problem. Just peel it back also and scrape the corrosion away (you can use cleaner on the motherboard itself .... preferable non-waterbased so it doesn't corrode again).

markjnj
02-07-2008, 10:22 AM
UPDATE: it has started to spazz out again, sometimes muting calls while I'm on the phone on it's own also when it's sitting locked it lights up constantly to unlock the phone.

bhbrown8
02-07-2008, 12:43 PM
do you use a headset w/ your Pearl? I've noticed that removing it during a call sometimes triggers the mute button. If that's not the case, then I'm clueless, especially w/ the blinking lights problem

markjnj
02-07-2008, 03:08 PM
nope, don't use a headset. if anyone has any ideas please post.

bhbrown8
02-07-2008, 11:47 PM
sorry if I will be asking redundant questions, but were you experiencing this problem before you updated the firmware, or after? The trackball sensitivity (clicking easily when you scroll) usually is caused by corrosion under the clicking mechanism that is beneath the trackball (as stated earlier). It really has nothing to do w/ the "spoon-shaped metal piece" below the trackball itself. That is just a dividing layer between the trackball and the "clicker" and helps to hold the trackball up so that it glides smoothly when scrolling.

In regards to actions being performed when you're on the phone:

I'm not very aware of much of the software navigation (and I don't have a Pearl in front of me at the moment to test my question), but can't you access the mute option via a quick menu while you're on the phone? (either by pressing menu and selecting Mute, or by clicking the trackball and selecting mute?). And the colors blinking issue, is this option also easily accessible? I ask these questions b/c I wonder if they are just being selected easily, because if they are, then it may definitely be the corrosion issue. And if you do go to clean that contact, RadioShack makes a nice cleaning spray that is not waterbased (so you don't have to worry about water making more rust and corrosion). But again, as stated in a prior message, don't use it on the orange part itself, b/c you'll wipe off the adhesive and it won't stick. Only use it on the motherboard contact part). Many times you can just use the small screwdriver to scrape the corrosion away.

Just some thoughts. Sorry for any rambling. Let me know if you have any luck.

markjnj
02-08-2008, 07:44 AM
I'm gonna open it up tonight and check for corrosion. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the tip.

-Marc

markjnj
02-08-2008, 05:41 PM
the past few days this thing has been going totally crazy typing it's own letters in mesenger, sending random pictures via bb messenger. at the suggestion of bhbrown I carefully peeled back the orange adhessive and scrapped around under there. so far so good. It's not spazzing out like it was the last couple of days...I'll keep an eye on it and keep you all posted if you're interested.

Thatzmister2u
02-08-2008, 05:45 PM
the past few days this thing has been going totally crazy typing it's own letters in mesenger, sending random pictures via bb messenger. at the suggestion of bhbrown I carefully peeled back the orange adhessive and scrapped around under there. so far so good. It's not spazzing out like it was the last couple of days...I'll keep an eye on it and keep you all posted if you're interested.

No wthat's REALLY frightening!!! That could get down right embarrassing! :oops:

Keep us posted, lot's of inquiring minds wanna know!

Good Luck!!

markjnj
02-14-2008, 05:02 AM
It's been almost a week and the Pearl has been working great. The issue hasn't returned (knock on wood.)(y) If it starts to happen again I'll let you know.

-Marc