PDA

View Full Version : BlackBerry Professional Software Questions

verxion
01-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Here is my question:

Is there any way to install and configure BlackBerry Professional Software Express WITHOUT it being on an exchange server?

Here is why I have that question:

I am currently using Mail Connector.

I use this because I need to receive mail from an exchange server that IS NOT the same as the one I use BES for.

Put another way - I am using BES to receive email from one Exchange server, and mail connector to receive mail from a DIFFERENT exchange server.

Works fine. But as you know, Mail Connector is going away.

1. I don't have admin rights on the non BES Exchange server, so I can't install software on it. And they don't use BES on it.

2. Blackberry Desktop Redirector uses the exact same servicebooks as BES, so you can run BES or Blackberry desktop redirector, but not both.

3. Forwarding email is prohibited, I have to encrypt the email.

Thanks?

-Verxion

gibson_hg
01-22-2008, 02:59 PM
BES has to connect to either Exchange, Domino or GroupWise. It will not work with Mail Connector that I am aware as it's not designed that way.

verxion
01-22-2008, 03:02 PM
gibson - you misunderstood me.

BES can absolutely (and is currently) work with mail connector, PROVIDED THAT:

1. BES it talking to ONE exchange server
2. Mail Connector is talking to a DIFFERENT exchange server.

This is working for me right now, quite well in fact.

-Verxion

Thatzmister2u
01-22-2008, 03:12 PM
I read yesterday that RIM is pulling the plug on MailConnector in the VERY near future.

E-

verxion
01-22-2008, 03:13 PM
They are - mail connector is gone on the 27th. That is this coming Sunday.

I called RIM and they don't appear to have anything for me. They told me about a new product coming out later (apparently a few months down the road) called "BlackBerry Unite", but I won't be able to use that in time to deal with Mail Connector going away on Sunday.

-Verxion

verxion
01-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Some further information. The technical details have the following:

"BlackBerry Professional Software for Microsoft® Exchange
Hardware Requirements

BlackBerry® Professional Software installed on a separate server, with Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2005 Express installed by the setup application on the same server)

* Intel® Pentium® IV processor (1.5 GHz or more)
* 1 GB or more of available RAM

BlackBerry Professional Software installed on a Microsoft® Windows® Small Business Server or Microsoft® Exchange Server, with Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express installed by the setup application on the same server

* Intel Pentium IV processor (2 GHz or more)
* 1.5 GB or more of available RAM"

I am not clear on this - is this "one or the other" or "both" ?

If it is one or the other, then the first choice doesn't seem to require exchange...

-Verxion

gibson_hg
01-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Sorry for my first reply, I've never heard of anyone using the Mail connector with BES before.

It reads to me like one or the other, I don't see an install guide showing how to install a BES on 2 machines at once.

I'm pretty sure it's one or the other. Hence the extra RAM requirements for the second option.

gibson_hg
01-22-2008, 04:45 PM
BES is recommended to be on it's own server as well, but is supported on the same box as the Exchange server up to 15 users. I'm not sure if RIM upped the amount of supported users or not.

BES is best when on it's machine anyways, less obstacles to interfere with BES functionality.

Thatzmister2u
01-22-2008, 04:54 PM
They are - mail connector is gone on the 27th. That is this coming Sunday.

I called RIM and they don't appear to have anything for me. They told me about a new product coming out later (apparently a few months down the road) called "BlackBerry Unite", but I won't be able to use that in time to deal with Mail Connector going away on Sunday.

-Verxion

I don't know much about MailConnector and BES but would the Redirector be an option for you?

verxion
01-22-2008, 04:55 PM
I don't know much about MailConnector and BES but would the Redirector be an option for you?

This was in my original post:

"2. Blackberry Desktop Redirector uses the exact same servicebooks as BES, so you can run BES or Blackberry desktop redirector, but not both."

So unfortunately, Redirector wouldn't be an option

-Verxion

Thatzmister2u
01-22-2008, 05:01 PM
This was in my original post:

"2. Blackberry Desktop Redirector uses the exact same servicebooks as BES, so you can run BES or Blackberry desktop redirector, but not both."

So unfortunately, Redirector wouldn't be an option

-Verxion

Verxion,

Sorry that I missed that. They have you in a very difficult place at the moment don't they.

E-

verxion
01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Verxion,

Sorry that I missed that. They have you in a very difficult place at the moment don't they.

E-

That they do. And frankly, they didn't seem to care. They tried to tell me that I could use desktop redirector along with BES. I went all the way down that road last year and verified that this is just not possible, as per RIM themselves.

-Verxion

Sith_Apprentice
01-22-2008, 09:42 PM
seems like forwarding or a second BB is your only option. is there a reason you cant forward from one exchange server to the other? i assume it is something about the reply to email address, and sending email out, but until you find a longer term solution it would work

verxion
01-22-2008, 09:43 PM
seems like forwarding or a second BB is your only option. is there a reason you cant forward from one exchange server to the other? i assume it is something about the reply to email address, and sending email out, but until you find a longer term solution it would work

Total lack of any encryption is the reason I can't forward. :(

-Verxion

Sith_Apprentice
01-22-2008, 09:48 PM
from one exchange to the other? its not much different than sending an email out from outlook through exchange to a third party email service

verxion
01-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

The email on that particular exchange server HAS to remain encrypted. I realize other email access methods don't use encryption. That doesn't change the fact that I cannot access this email unless it is encrypted.

-Verxion

verxion
01-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Bump in case someone has thoughts on this thread...

Can I install BPS on a server that does NOT have exchange? Will I need any further permissions than what Mail Connector needed? Ie - do I need admin on the exchange server (which I don't have) or just a mail account on the exchange server?

-Verxion