PDA

View Full Version : Please dont shoot me..NEWB 8320 Questions + Fido BB Users HELP!

PARAZZI
01-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi guys,

I am about to purchase an UNLOCKED BB 8320. I have a couple of questions on it:

1.) How do you guys like the 8320? Can you share some features of the phone that you really like? I have owned an Nokia N95 and an Iphone. I know these are different devices. But how does the BB stack up at least to these two devices? Thanks

2.) For FIDO BB USERS: I have the $30 fido to fido plan. I want to get internet on the go. If i get the $18 dollar package that they offering right now (includes: 12 mb, 2,500 text messages, voice mail and etc) Will this allow me to have internet on the go, without needing any "hotspots"? Or do I still need the fido BB connection package?

Any thoughts or comments are more than welcomed. Thanks guys.

PARAZZI
01-23-2008, 01:02 AM
please any opinions or coments would help a lot. thanks guys.

Scottmog
01-23-2008, 01:21 AM
i know im new but. i personally dont like the n95, the battery sucks... and i dont really like nokias operating system as much as window mobile or bb.

i used to have a cingular 8525 and just bought a 8320 bb. the 8320 is so much quicker and more responsive, besides that the only plus that i see on the 8525 is the video capabilities and the bigger keyboard (it allowed me to type faster). i think i just need to get used to the smaller keyboard and ill be just fine.

grassjelly
01-23-2008, 01:48 AM
I'm also with fido with a 8320 on a data plan. The package that your talking about for 18 dollars allows you to go on the internet at anytime without hotspots but you will not be able to use the BB messenger, nor will you be able to access you emails. With out a data plan your BB 8320 is just like your other two phones.

Cory Scheuer
01-23-2008, 01:59 AM
you already know my thoughts :P

PARAZZI
01-23-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm also with fido with a 8320 on a data plan. The package that your talking about for 18 dollars allows you to go on the internet at anytime without hotspots but you will not be able to use the BB messenger, nor will you be able to access you emails. With out a data plan your BB 8320 is just like your other two phones.

hi, thanks for the reply. whats your fido data plan? if you dont mind me asking. do you have a bb fido connect data plan? what plan do I need to get to have BB messenger + to be able to surf on the net without hotspots?

Lex Luthor
01-23-2008, 05:26 PM
what plan do I need to get to have BB messenger

If you're using a BlackBerry device on Fido and want to make use of BlackBerry Messenger you're definitely going to require a BlackBerry Connect plan as BlackBerry Messenger requires a BlackBerry data plan. Since the closest thing Fido has to that is BlackBerry Connect that's your only choice unless you choose Rogers instead.

PARAZZI
01-23-2008, 09:02 PM
If you're using a BlackBerry device on Fido and want to make use of BlackBerry Messenger you're definitely going to require a BlackBerry Connect plan as BlackBerry Messenger requires a BlackBerry data plan. Since the closest thing Fido has to that is BlackBerry Connect that's your only choice unless you choose Rogers instead.

thanks for the reply, since i only have a number of friend that have BB's. maybe i will just stick with 18 dollar package for now that Fido is offering me.

but i am in a way tempted to switch to Rogers, cause I heard the EDGE browser that they are using is one of the best in the market right now. what carrier are you under if you dont mind me asking? Rogers or Fido? what is your plan? thanks.

John Clark
01-23-2008, 09:04 PM
The browsers are the same from carrier to carrier on a BB. I've never heard the BB's browser referred to as "the best in the market right now."

PARAZZI
01-23-2008, 11:17 PM
so does Fido also uses EDGE technology like Rogers? thanks.

John Clark
01-23-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm not sure. Someone else who uses it would have to answer that. It's either EDGE or GPRS, though.

PARAZZI
01-23-2008, 11:59 PM
JohnClark: thanks again for the response

Any other Fido BB users out there? What plans are you guys currently on for internet connection without needing any hotspots? Do you guys have the Fido connect plan or just a simple data plan? Thanks.

John Clark
01-24-2008, 12:03 AM
I do know that you'll need the Fido BB connect plan for your BB. The other plans will give you very little.

PARAZZI
01-24-2008, 02:44 AM
I do know that you'll need the Fido BB connect plan for your BB. The other plans will give you very little.

mainly i just want to use my BB 8320 for surfing on the net on the go and without needing to go to hotspot locations, txting and as a phone. is it still necessary for me to get the Fido BB connect plan then? i thought this was only to get push e-mail and to be able to have BB messenger? and this is not something i really need rather than being able to surf the net anywhere. would a regular data plan then be sufficient enough? thanks.

PARAZZI
01-24-2008, 07:35 PM
bump. any other suggestion guys or inputs guys? i would gladly appreciate it.

Cory Scheuer
01-25-2008, 12:11 AM
parazzi, until you get the BB its going to be hard to tell whether the 18 value pack with work via using the APNs. other then that i believe everyone else that is on fido that has a BB uses the bb connect plan...

PARAZZI
01-25-2008, 02:42 AM
parazzi, until you get the BB its going to be hard to tell whether the 18 value pack with work via using the APNs. other then that i believe everyone else that is on fido that has a BB uses the bb connect plan...

Corey, thanks for your reply again. I went to Skynet today in their Guildford location, since they are a Fido only carrier and talked with one of the sales rep. He told me that the $18 package plan, will allow me to have internet connection anywhere since this is a mobile internet plan. Then, the Fido BB connect plan will just enable to have the push e-mail, BB messenger and of course internet on the go. I was thinking if I get I do get the $18 plan and lets say it does not work. Can I cancel this anytime with Fido? Then, instead I will get the BB connect plan?

Cory Scheuer
01-25-2008, 03:08 AM
depends on your contact terms... i know with some of the new 3g phones you can get at a discount price but it says you need to activate the 18 value pack for the length of your tern (3yrs), so if you just sign up without that then yes you can remove it at anytime...

moemar
01-25-2008, 06:24 AM
Hey Parazzi,

Ive been having the same problem for the past couple of days. I purchased a 8310 and i signed up for the $value pack THINKIN its gonna work. Apparently it doesnt, I tried fillin in the APN info and still nothing. I dunno if you got the message as me when i was trying to use the browser which was something like your system configuration is missing and u need some sort of book entries(that was roughly the message). I ended up signing up for the 3mb Blackberry Connect package with fido and within minutes everything started working. The only downside is that costs 25 dollars per month instead of the 18 dollars for all the value pack stuff. Just wanted to share my experience with you because i understand what you are going through. I only purchased my berry for browsing and stuff, i didnt think i would end up with the Sh*tty data package. Let me know how things go with you. If u figure an alternative solution then please share.

Regards,
Moe

John Clark
01-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

With a standard data plan like that you will have to rely on the apn for data. The browser will not work, so you'll have to install Opera Mini. You will not be able to download programs OTA. The BB connect plan will give you what the BB needs. If you cheap out and go with the $18 data plan you will likely be disappointed. Get the right plan. You'll be happier in the long run.

Jagga
01-25-2008, 10:23 AM
so does Fido also uses EDGE technology like Rogers? thanks.

Fido was Canada's ONLY pure GSM core network long ago. Rogers upgraded to GSM/GPRS back in 2001, then to EDGE in 2003 > then bought out Fido.

Same technology as Rogers now OWNS Fido as a wholly owned subsidiary > and they've replaced MANY Fido towers throughout Canada ... so you'll get GPRS/EDGE for now ... and when the WCDMA(UMTS)/HSDPA BB model debuts - whenever that happens - you'll get those 3G speeds that those 3G phones have.

Again Fido = Rogers = Fido = Rogers; when it comes to the network.
Fido has BlackBerry Connect service.
Rogers has Blackberry service.

Just some background.

TheMBo
01-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

With a standard data plan like that you will have to rely on the apn for data. The browser will not work, so you'll have to install Opera Mini. You will not be able to download programs OTA. The BB connect plan will give you what the BB needs. If you cheap out and go with the $18 data plan you will likely be disappointed. Get the right plan. You'll be happier in the long run.

Hi, if I understand you correctly, the 18$ APN plan won't allow standard browsers to work? So will any application using the same connection? Such as WayFinder for example... I believe the Fido BB Connect plan is about 40$... Ouch I'll have to think about that. Unless would the standard data plan, at 25$ mentionned earlier, work?

Cory Scheuer
01-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Ok here's the BB Connect plans.

$25 for 3 MB (retention offer)
$40 for 7 MB
$60 for 25 MB
$100 for 200 MB

Those are the only ones. To get the $25 one you have to be a good standing customer who has been with fido for a while. They won't give this to you if you are a new account. Therefore the lowest plan you can get is the $40 one.

Like all providersin Canada its not cheap to have a BB

PARAZZI
01-25-2008, 06:57 PM
thanks guys again for all your inputs and replies. i guess to have a BB, you have to pay to play. i think i am leaning to rather get the BB Fido connect plan, to save me some trouble and to fully experience the the BB's capabilities

moemar: thanks for your input man. i think i am also gonna go for the 3mb plan, since i will only use this when I really need to go on the internet

Corey: what is your BB connect plan?

thanks again guys.

John Clark
01-25-2008, 07:23 PM
... i guess to have a BB, you have to pay to play. i think i am leaning to rather get the BB Fido connect plan, ....

This is the quote of the day. You will be much happier. good luck!

PARAZZI
01-25-2008, 09:22 PM
This is the quote of the day. You will be much happier. good luck!

hahaha...is that a good thing? its just i would rather save myself the hassle and make another post regarding on not being able to surf on the internet with a data package. thanks gain, John.

camrimendez
01-26-2008, 12:51 AM
the 8320 is the best ever!!!! I LOVE IT!!

Cory Scheuer
01-26-2008, 02:46 AM
i pay for the $60 for 25 mb

my total bill with my city fido (unlimited anytime) + voicemail, call display, name display, 2500 text, and the $60 bbconnect comes to like 150 a month

PARAZZI
01-27-2008, 04:56 AM
Corey: how much did you get your BB for? was it new bnew and unlocked?

guys, whats a reasonable price for a brand new BB 8320? since, i live in Canada, i know is gonna be different prices. but, i would just like to hear your opinions and possibly how much you guys got your BB's for. thanks gain.

Cory Scheuer
01-27-2008, 06:40 AM
i got my new 8300 for 300 and i got it unlocked for i believe 50... (i can do cheaper unlocks :) )

613otjatt
01-27-2008, 11:47 AM
i picked up my 8320 gold for 300us and got it unlocked for 20

PARAZZI
01-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Corey: that is not a bad price man. this was brand new right?

anyone else want to share of how much they bought their BB Curves for? thanks again, guys.

Jagga
01-27-2008, 11:22 PM
i picked up my 8320 gold for 300us and got it unlocked for 20

If that was brand new then thats a STEAL!

Going rate for an 8300 is around $300 Canadian BNIB (from those that got it under contract renewal as a hardware upgrade from Rogers). For the GPS Curve 8310 you're looking around $350-420CAN.

For the WiFi Curve, the 8320, I've seen only as low as $450 (used, & scuffed up) to around $550CAN ... even with our dollar being virtually matched in value for the past 5mths (save for 3wks when we dropped to 89Cents US).

PARAZZI
01-28-2008, 05:24 AM
I guess $550 Canadian, is a reasonable price that I am mostly finding for a BNEW and unlocked BB 8320 then. I am finding that it is also harder to find the gold colour compared to the titanium trim.

613otjatt
01-28-2008, 09:33 AM
yea it is pretty much new, but it was used for a few days...but it looks brand new, no scratches or anything. the only thing is that i am having some trouble getting my email set up on fido...but i should be able to figure it out.

PARAZZI
01-28-2008, 04:43 PM
yea it is pretty much new, but it was used for a few days...but it looks brand new, no scratches or anything. the only thing is that i am having some trouble getting my email set up on fido...but i should be able to figure it out.

do you have Fido BB Connect plan? could this be the reason that you are having trouble setting up your e-mail? and btw thats a steal on the price that you got your BB for. how are you liking it?

kcss88
01-29-2008, 12:36 PM
This is my experience using a BB on fido. I originally had the bb connect on fido but 3 or 4 mg for $25 is ridiculous unless you need push e-mail. I switched to the 12mg.
Results: No push e-mail, no blackberry browser, can't download 3rd party applications and install through your bb (with opera mini at least). You can install opera mini and browse the internet with no problem. You can also install 3rd party apps through your pc. For apps such as G-Mail, google maps, etc...there are various ways to install....I just borrowed a friends sim card that was on a BB plan (rogers), downloaded apps to my BB and put my card back in. They all work fine.
There is no doubt the best experience on the BB is a BB plan...but if e-mail is not that important to you, I don't know why you would pay the price. The only reasonable carrier in Cda right now for BB is Telus -$15 for unlimited e-mail and unlimited data...but this will no longer be available after feb 2...so I am told. I guess it all comes down to what your priorities are.

Cory Scheuer
01-29-2008, 02:52 PM
This is my experience using a BB on fido. I originally had the bb connect on fido but 3 or 4 mg for $25 is ridiculous unless you need push e-mail. I switched to the 12mg.
Results: No push e-mail, no blackberry browser, can't download 3rd party applications and install through your bb (with opera mini at least). You can install opera mini and browse the internet with no problem. You can also install 3rd party apps through your pc. For apps such as G-Mail, google maps, etc...there are various ways to install....I just borrowed a friends sim card that was on a BB plan (rogers), downloaded apps to my BB and put my card back in. They all work fine.
There is no doubt the best experience on the BB is a BB plan...but if e-mail is not that important to you, I don't know why you would pay the price. The only reasonable carrier in Cda right now for BB is Telus -$15 for unlimited e-mail and unlimited data...but this will no longer be available after feb 2...so I am told. I guess it all comes down to what your priorities are.

actually its not unlimited data, it just unlimited email and BB messenger... not browsing data (same with BELL)

PARAZZI
01-29-2008, 05:12 PM

what can you now do with the 12mb plan? just browsing and texting? i want to install some 3rd party apps on my BB though and I do not have any friends on a BB plan. how else can i install some 3rd party apps then on my BB? where can i get opera mini to install and does this act like your browser? sorry for all the questions. thanks.

kcss88
01-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Download opera mini from www.operamini.com to your pc. Then use BB desktop manager to install to your BB. Read Stinsondogs tips for BB ........do a search on here or HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource (http://www.howardforums.com) for Stinsondogs tips. That will tell you what you can and cannot do with a bb without a bb plan. Very ,very informative...also lists lots of 3rd party apps and where to find them.

PARAZZI
01-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Download opera mini from www.operamini.com to your pc. Then use BB desktop manager to install to your BB. Read Stinsondogs tips for BB ........do a search on here or HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource (http://www.howardforums.com) for Stinsondogs tips. That will tell you what you can and cannot do with a bb without a bb plan. Very ,very informative...also lists lots of 3rd party apps and where to find them.

thanks man. i will read upon the HowardForums for any tips. so what you are mainly using the 12mb plan for?

i just actually signed up an account @<hidden> Howard Forums, trying to search for Stinsondogs tips and also on here. but i am out of luck. if dont mind pointing me out to that thread or website. that would be great. thanks so much again.

kcss88
01-29-2008, 11:49 PM
I mainly use the 12mg for browsing and the occasional use of gps. Any gps program will eat your mgs in a hurry since you are constantly downloading maps. Try (Click Here for Stinsonddog's Tip Site! ) . If that does not work go to thread "new 8310 am I expecting too much" ....thread was fairly new at the time of this posting.....second or third entry in that thread has above link to Tip Site.
By the way Cory....although it was not advertised as such....you do get unlimited data with the $15 plan. Phone Telus and ask them.

PARAZZI
01-30-2008, 12:29 AM
I mainly use the 12mg for browsing and the occasional use of gps. Any gps program will eat your mgs in a hurry since you are constantly downloading maps. Try (Click Here for Stinsonddog's Tip Site! ) . If that does not work go to thread "new 8310 am I expecting too much" ....thread was fairly new at the time of this posting.....second or third entry in that thread has above link to Tip Site.
By the way Cory....although it was not advertised as such....you do get unlimited data with the $15 plan. Phone Telus and ask them.

I am about to purchase an unlocked BB Curve 8320 and I want to use this mainly for browsing without any hotspots needed though. Since you said you mainly use the 12mb plan for browsing. If I get this plan through Fido...will this plan allow me to browse the net on my 8320? Thanks for the thread by the way, found Stinsonddog's Tip and just saved a copy of the useful tips on the 8300 device. Will these tips also work for the 8320? Thanks so much :smile: .

kcss88
01-30-2008, 01:04 AM
I assume it will. I have the 8310. I think the only difference between the 8310 and the 8320 is wi-fi. You should wait to here from someone else to be sure.

PARAZZI
01-31-2008, 08:21 PM
I assume it will. I have the 8310. I think the only difference between the 8310 and the 8320 is wi-fi. You should wait to here from someone else to be sure.

yeah wifi is pretty much the difference between the 8310 and 8320. just wondering when you mean surfing. is this via router at your home or with a hotspot? or was this on the go? thanks again.

ctiati
02-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Hi,

I am new to the forum and also recently bought a curve 8320, its originally a t-mobile phone that I unlocked. I am able to get and send sms. My only problem is that I don't have access to the wifi or the internet even to browse. My service provider is fido and I subscribe to the 18$ plan with 12 mb and so on...They gave me the Apn info for TCP and I changed, but I always get an error message when trying to connect with wifi or even when entering a web address, is any of this normal? Do i need the BB connect plan to access the wifi or connect to the internet?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanxs

TheMBo
02-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Hi,

If you can't use WiFi, it is not related to your plan. It may be related to your current setup. Does it detect the WiFi connection? Is it secured? etc.

As for browsing the web or getting email (outside of WiFi), unfortunately you will have to switch to the Blackberry Connect option with FIDO. Cancel your 18$ plan and get the 6MB 40$ Blackberry Connect deal. It's the only way I got my 8820 to work... If you ask for it they may give you the 25$ deal for less MBytes of course.

PARAZZI
02-05-2008, 03:38 AM
Hi,

If you can't use WiFi, it is not related to your plan. It may be related to your current setup. Does it detect the WiFi connection? Is it secured? etc.

As for browsing the web or getting email (outside of WiFi), unfortunately you will have to switch to the Blackberry Connect option with FIDO. Cancel your 18$ plan and get the 6MB 40$ Blackberry Connect deal. It's the only way I got my 8820 to work... If you ask for it they may give you the 25$ deal for less MBytes of course.

as for the wifi, i am planning to use my router at home to get on the internet. is there any specific setup that i will need to do to get on the net?

i would really like to get the Fido BB connect deal, but unfortunately is a bit too steep for me for extra $40 bucks/month. dont get wrong, i would still like to have net capabilities outside wifi. since, i text a lot i got the $18 plan instead. will this plan also allow me to have PIN to PIN with other BB owners and get on Jivetalk? thanks.

Cory Scheuer
02-05-2008, 01:53 PM
no pin to pin

and unless jivetalk uses the TCP connection then yes you can