PDA

View Full Version : 4.0.2.32 Bugs?

kevin.muller
07-04-2005, 07:34 PM
I've been experiencing a few oddities with the new 4.0.2.32 install...just wondering if I'm the only one....

1) When I take a call longer than about 3 minutes, the call timer isn't correct as you're hanging up? I've noticed it a few times now, the timer always says 0:57 (and usually counts up a couple more seconds before it's completely disconnected) when I know the calls are longer than a minute. On the other hand, if you go in to the phone app and look at the timers, they appear to be correct.

2) My headset volume has decreased dramatically from the last 4.x release - and yes, I have it turned all the way up before anyone asks :razz: I guess I shouldn't have upgraded from 3.8 (n)

3) All my 3rd party apps lost their registration info - this one's just plain annoying.

Good news is I haven't had a reboot yet (*knocks on wood)

pilotboy72
07-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Not only have I seen this problem but the network issues are still there. Here's a perfect example. My 7100T just dropped a call -- not surprising in and of itself. But now the phone will not reacquire the network. I tried shutting off the radio and turning it back on -- nothing. Can't make or receive calls. It sees "a" network but obviously not the T-Mo network (and yes I'm in a place that normally gets good signal).

------- 5 MINUTES PASSES --------

So after some time passes and still no joy acquiring the network, I decided to take out the battery to reset the network (turning off and back on didn't help). Miraculously, I now have a signal.

In short: this software <b>still</b> has serious bugs. Anyone care to guess how long it'll take T-Mo to fix this one?

ajstan99
07-05-2005, 08:42 AM
I've been experiencing a few oddities with the new 4.0.2.32 install...just wondering if I'm the only one....

2) My headset volume has decreased dramatically from the last 4.x release - and yes, I have it turned all the way up before anyone asks :razz: I guess I shouldn't have upgraded from 3.8 (n)

You are not the only one who has this issue with 4.x. The volume is loud enough if you're in a quiet room, but totally inadequate in the car at highway speeds or in public places.

In fact, it has caused a number of people (including me) to go back to 3.8. Please call your carrier and let them know that you are having this issue. The biggest problem seems to be getting RIM to acknowledge that there IS a problem, which would be the first step towards getting a fix.

jibi
07-05-2005, 09:36 AM
I got off a phone call this morning and my phone then lost connection to the network and had a 'Searching for network...' status. It reconnected just fine within a second, though. Thats the first time I've ever noticed that happen.

mcapiro
07-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Pilotboy You're not the only one having this problem. With the last 4.x release, I never had a problem reacquiring a signal. Ever since I updated to the latest version, the only way to get the signal back when it decides to lock up like that is to remove the batter. Turning wireless on and off does not work for me either. It's just getting very frustrating.

pilotboy72
07-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Pilotboy You're not the only one having this problem. With the last 4.x release, I never had a problem reacquiring a signal. Ever since I updated to the latest version, the only way to get the signal back when it decides to lock up like that is to remove the batter. Turning wireless on and off does not work for me either. It's just getting very frustrating.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's having this problem. Incidently, the day after I did the upgrade and tried to turn the wireless off then on to reset it (as a guess) I couldn't get the wireless to come back on. It kept telling it it was still trying to shut the wireless off -- and this was after about 10 minutes of trying and seeing "Off" in the upper right corner of the screen.

The frustrating thing here is that I don't know who is responsible for this problem. Is it T-Mobile or RIM?

Feeshman
07-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Well, (knock on wood) I'm a happy camper. The dropped calls seems to have been resolved with the firmware update. Have had a number of short and long calls and have had no drops - not one. Tomorrow I will call the one person who I dropped every time I made a call to him. We'll see if he passes the upgrade test.

jibi
07-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Has anyone heard a little *fart* noise when you miss a call? Maybe its just me, or maybe this noise existed in previous versions... I just don't remember it.

gadgetman
07-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Maybe it's coming from you! Do you notice a strange smell a short time after?

jibi
07-06-2005, 08:31 PM
haha. but seriously, thats about what it sounds like. almost like a muffled oink from a pig. its really strange.

SpEdFlaminGo15
07-07-2005, 01:35 AM
the new fireware upgrade is a piece of crap!!!!

I had never expierenced ANY problems with my 7100t UNTIL the upgrade ever sence the upgrade my phone has started to do the following:

1. Cannot reply to SMS messages beause of some javascript error
"Uncaught exception: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException"

2. When ever I recieve a call it displays the phone number even if the phone number is in my phone book. So say that my Mom's phone number is 7705551212 and she is in my phone book whenever she calls it says:
"+17705551212" and does not display the name. After I accpt the call it says that the number is unassigned. After I end the call and go into the Phoine application to see the previous calls it displays their name after the call (not during or before it)

3. When ever I place calls my phone number displays as "Blocked" or "Private Caller" on their caller ID

4. My T-Mobile Browser Fun is no where to be found

5. After my handheld is locked and I attempt to unlock it the hour glass comes up everytime i press a button which makes it extreamly difficult to type ion my password because I cannot type with the hour glass is being displayed so the it times out while im typing and it inputs the first letter on the number key.

6. My call timer does not update until I end the call and go back into the phone application and click on status and then on last call.

So like i said eariler the upgrade is a PIECE OF CRAP!!! If anyone is expierenceing any of these problems and knows how to fix them please let me know :) thanks

Cameron Arnold

canderson
07-07-2005, 08:57 AM
I upgraded to this OS over a week ago (on T-Mobile) and haven't noticed any of these problems yet. Hopefully they're not common problems!

ntron1
07-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Works like a champ so far.

pharma1
07-07-2005, 05:15 PM
I have a 7100t, not unlocked. When I select "Network" under "Applications", it shows that I am connected to Cingular. If I change the connection type to Manual it then shows I am actually connected to T-Mobile. No biggy because everthing works. Just curious if anyone else is seeing this.

idealist
07-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Up-loaded it last night and my calculator reads "Uncaught exception: Cannot find image". Volume sucks and lost all of my photo's after upgrade, is there anyway to get the pictures back? Going to give it a week before I downgrade if problems occur.

rsun
07-07-2005, 05:34 PM
For people having problems, have you tried completely reflashing it again? All I have are good things to say about this new firmware.

I've recommended many time for people to always upgrade to the latest (as you can tell from many of my other posts :-)) and sometimes we've seen where the firmware didn't seem to go on right, the best way I think is to back it up. Flash it, do a complete erase, then later so a selective restore of what you really need. That seemed to make things go the smoothest.

ufkal
07-07-2005, 07:18 PM
a totally newbie question, how does one reflash?

smallville
07-08-2005, 04:42 AM
Works like a champ so far.

The upgrade works great for me too, except the error on timer for calls now (but I can live with that), besides the call log still shows the correct call duration.

Also, I can now view JPG attachments, which I wasn't able to before the upgrade.

kevin.muller
07-08-2005, 10:26 AM
I just noticed that my "Show Address" option on emails is gone - the option where you highlighted the users name when viewing an email and could click and see the actual email address. Did this go away on anyone elses? Not cool!

pharma1
07-11-2005, 12:10 PM
I just noticed that my "Show Address" option on emails is gone - the option where you highlighted the users name when viewing an email and could click and see the actual email address. Did this go away on anyone elses? Not cool!

I JUST noticed this. This feature was really helpful in sorting out the BS. They need to put this back ASAP (and fix my bluetooth volume and then I'll shut up).

kevin.muller
07-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Ok...here's what I notieced about the "Show Address" option. If the user who emailed you is in your address book, you no longer have the option to "Show Address," however if they aren't, you should still see the option.

This sucks...I used the show address option to see which email account people were sending me mail to so I could properly set the 'reply-to' option.

My question is...WHY would they even mess with a feature that isn't broken????????????? *Reluctantly starts looking at other smartphones

ufkal
07-12-2005, 05:18 AM
I upgraded two days ago, and thus far I've not had any issues. Head set volume to me is too low, but I always think that so I don't know if it is me, or the upgrade.

pharma1
07-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Ok...here's what I notieced about the "Show Address" option. If the user who emailed you is in your address book, you no longer have the option to "Show Address," however if they aren't, you should still see the option

I started trying to reproduce Kevin's results on my 7100t and got something really different. I was just about to write them all out, but rebooted the phone to make sure of one thing. After the reboot, the "Show Address" field is there. There goes an hour of troubleshooting, but it saves you having to read the results. I'm curious to see if pulling the battery fixes this for anyone else?

jrwest
07-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Purchased BB7100T March of 2005 with vs. 3.8... Upgraded to BES 4.0 and BB4.0 for 7100T in May... Sometime in June my wife’s 7100T 3.8 crashed severely to the point of no return. DO NOT USE TMOBILE SUPPORT AT THIS POINT. GO DIRECTLY TO RIM FOR SUPPORT.
Performed a javaloader.exe to wipe handheld - Result was nothing. RIM suggested send it back for a new phone...
While waiting for a new phone I slipped her SIM into my 7100T in which it immediately corrupted my 7100T on 4.0... Called TMO which sent me to RIM then had a 2nd phone on the way, along with (2) new Sims.

New phones arrive along with new Sims and both 7100T's were on 4.0 out of the box.

Upgraded my phone to 4.0.2.32 as a beta and works just fine... I think it even fixed a signal issue I was having in my office...

Highly recommend new upgrade...

First signs of corruption: Frequent reboots (1 every minute or two), Battery charged one minute then completely discharged the next minute (That was really freaky) Dropped signal for no apparent reason nor was I on a call at the time, no network to be found, javaloader will not connect to device, Application loader will not connect to device. Device errors 373, 400, 410, 500 all upon pulling battery and rebooting.

Hope this helps others with details as to when to call RIM for a replacement. You cannot fix the error by wiping handheld or using Application loader to re-install O/S.

AgouraCAGuy
07-14-2005, 01:11 AM
I have a 7100t, not unlocked. When I select "Network" under "Applications", it shows that I am connected to Cingular. If I change the connection type to Manual it then shows I am actually connected to T-Mobile. No biggy because everthing works. Just curious if anyone else is seeing this.
Cingular/T-Mobile had a shared network agreement in CA/NV with both companies sharing networks. The towers are programed to read Cingular, unless your phone reads from the sim card. I'll bet you phone is unlocked!!

Anyway, T-Mobile completed the purchased of the Cingular orange network on January 5, 2005, after announcing the deal May 25, 2004.

http://www.t-mobile.com./company/pressroom/pressrelease100.asp

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050512/125264.html?.v=1

T-Mobile is in the process of converting the towers to show T-Mobile. This may take a few years (2007) as the roaming agreement allows Cingular users to access T-Mobile's towers until then.

In conclusion, don't worry, be happy.

pharma1
07-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Cingular/T-Mobile had a shared network agreement in CA/NV with both companies sharing networks. The towers are programed to read Cingular, unless your phone reads from the sim card. I'll bet you phone is unlocked!!
Thanks, that is good info. My phone isn't unlocked but that sure sounds reasonable.
In conclusion, don't worry, be happy.
I can never be happy until they return the Bluetooth headset volume that was stolen from us. ;-)

ntron1
07-14-2005, 02:17 PM
"I can never be happy until they return the Bluetooth headset volume that was stolen from us."

The volume issue is not universal. Mine works great and has for 3.8, and 4.x. Could be the handset, headset or software quirk.

pharma1
07-14-2005, 03:00 PM
The volume issue is not universal. Mine works great and has for 3.8, and 4.x. Could be the handset, headset or software quirk.

On a 7100? By "works great" you mean that you have identical volume on your headset w/4.x as you did with 3.8? I am green with envy. What headset do you have? I'll gladly purchase one that fixes this problem. I have experianced this on two different 7100ts, trying both with 2 different brands of headset. Both of them started at 3.8 and had excellent volume. One of them was upgraded, one was blasted clean with no 3rd party apps of any kind. They both have as much as 1/3 drop in volume. Headset volume is OK when in the office, or even not in a crowd, but unusable in typical street settings. Have you used yours in a variety of settings? Thanks.

robglasser
07-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Ok...here's what I notieced about the "Show Address" option. If the user who emailed you is in your address book, you no longer have the option to "Show Address," however if they aren't, you should still see the option.

This sucks...I used the show address option to see which email account people were sending me mail to so I could properly set the 'reply-to' option.

My question is...WHY would they even mess with a feature that isn't broken????????????? *Reluctantly starts looking at other smartphones

I can do a Show Address on any e-mail, whether they are in my address book or not. This is on an upgraded 7100g. I did notice that Show Address is not on the first screen of menu options when you click the wheel on an address, you have to scroll down to the bottom of the menu options.

goblue1969
07-14-2005, 05:08 PM
On a 7100? By "works great" you mean that you have identical volume on your headset w/4.x as you did with 3.8? I am green with envy. What headset do you have? I'll gladly purchase one that fixes this problem. I have experianced this on two different 7100ts, trying both with 2 different brands of headset. Both of them started at 3.8 and had excellent volume. One of them was upgraded, one was blasted clean with no 3rd party apps of any kind. They both have as much as 1/3 drop in volume. Headset volume is OK when in the office, or even not in a crowd, but unusable in typical street settings. Have you used yours in a variety of settings? Thanks.

Jabra 250....sounds the same on 3.8 and all versions of 4.x.

DoggyDaddy
07-14-2005, 06:21 PM
I, too, have the Jabra 250 and have not had any volume problems with either 3.8 or 4.0 (I have not downloaded the latest update). I have noticed that I loose my bluetooth connection multiple times during the day for no apparent reason! The connection is lost with the 7100t in its holster on my belt....not sitting on my desk or in my car. It's always easy enough to reconnect and I don't have to re-pair the device. However, it is a hassle. I'm not sure if this a problem with the Jabra, with the 4.0 firmware or with something else!

By the way the Jabra's volume is far superior to my old Motorola 810 headset. The Motorola was never loud enough on ANY bluetooth phone!

ntron1
07-14-2005, 06:30 PM

Yup Jabra BT 250 and the volume is great (too loud most of the time) in any setting except the nascar races....lol. I too have the "lost connection problem that seems to be related to the backlight coming on or off.

pharma1
07-15-2005, 12:21 PM
except the nascar races....lol.

LOL because I had to step into the other room to get away from my nephew's SLOT car track to hear properly. You definitly win. ;-)