PDA

View Full Version : Fourth blackberry broken, INSANE

JaredH
01-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Dear blackberry owners,

I have recently been doomed with all my blackberrys. I brought the 8830 in August and have had it replaced three times already. The first two were because the trackball wouldn't select and a couple other weird glitchy things. I just got it replaced for the third time two weeks ago, I haven't even returned my old 8830 to verizon yet and it has broken on me again.

This time it seems that it's just all fubar'ed. The back key sometimes thinks it's the pound sign. If the back key works it continues to reopen the screen I just backed out of repeatedly for anywhere from 3-10 times. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I treat this thing like an Angel. Is it the third party apps I'm putting on it?

All I have installed is berry411, google maps, bbsmart and facebook app which is designed by RIM!

Idk what to do, the third phone has to be replaced with something comperable, I'm looking at sticking with the BB even though it's driving me nuts because the email is great when it works.

I'm just not sure if they would replace it with the pearl or not. Anyone had their 8830 replaced with a pearl? I spoke with a verizon sales person because I work at a ccity with one in the store and she said they prolly wouldn't swap it for a pearl and that she had no idea why it's happening to me.

WTF!!!

paulbblc
01-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Wow, that doesn't sound good. Normally you're not going to run into very many build problems with BlackBerry - at least not 3 times in a row. Ask Verizon about the lemon law - they will need to send you a brand new device or refund you. Not 100% sure however I'm guessing that the first couple of swaps you got could have been refurbs.

JaredH
01-24-2008, 10:49 PM
I just got off the phone with customer service again, they're sending me a brand new 8830, not some referb pos.

Hopefully I'll have better luck. I want to stay in the family, I do, I do!

juwaack68
01-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Good luck with this one!!

MERK350Z
01-25-2008, 01:22 AM
Dear blackberry owners,

I have recently been doomed with all my blackberrys. I brought the 8830 in August and have had it replaced three times already. The first two were because the trackball wouldn't select and a couple other weird glitchy things. I just got it replaced for the third time two weeks ago, I haven't even returned my old 8830 to verizon yet and it has broken on me again.

This time it seems that it's just all fubar'ed. The back key sometimes thinks it's the pound sign. If the back key works it continues to reopen the screen I just backed out of repeatedly for anywhere from 3-10 times. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I treat this thing like an Angel. Is it the third party apps I'm putting on it?

All I have installed is berry411, google maps, bbsmart and facebook app which is designed by RIM!

Idk what to do, the third phone has to be replaced with something comperable, I'm looking at sticking with the BB even though it's driving me nuts because the email is great when it works.

I'm just not sure if they would replace it with the pearl or not. Anyone had their 8830 replaced with a pearl? I spoke with a verizon sales person because I work at a ccity with one in the store and she said they prolly wouldn't swap it for a pearl and that she had no idea why it's happening to me.

WTF!!!

sorry to hear that i was about to say send it to me ill rebuild it for you. my cousin dropped his cracked the case and screen i fixed it for him not that hard. my unlces forgot his on top of his car and drove away and looks in the rearview mir and sees his pearl hit the ground it was so funny. trust me man i feel your pain i had issues with my 8700 but thst only because after 10 dropes it needed some new parts and after replaceing the parts worked perfect

greggebhardt
01-25-2008, 06:11 AM
If the forth unit, new, does not work out, then it is possible that this is user induced.

jsntrenkler
01-25-2008, 10:55 AM
If the forth unit, new, does not work out, then it is possible that this is user induced.

My thoughts as well.

cybercow
01-25-2008, 02:58 PM
I had the same problems with my first 8820. One fine day it just went haywire, if I would press the trackball it wouldn't do anything and I couldn't press the back button. I would press some keys and others would get inputted. Finally, I exchanged it for another one.
The second one worked fine for a while, but started exhibiting similar behavior. The first time I ever dropped it, and it started working well again :?

JaredH
01-25-2008, 08:16 PM
What might you think I am doing to the device? Taking baths with it?

How do you treat new things? Good I assume, like most people.

I've had four phones since August, basically a new phone every month and 1/2. I don't do anything aggressive with it, it sits in my pocket, I don't abuse the trackball, I actually don't play brickbreaker b/c I thought that might have been contributing to the breaks.

They've all been just pos. The only thing I could think of is my memory card conflicting in some way. I have about half a dozen songs on the phone and a couple images on the card.

Speed shouldn't have an issue I don't assume, it's an Ultra II card not standard speed, but they're designed for phones, it should work.

The other thing I was thinking of is the restore file. I proceed to restore the new device with the old devices restore file because I don't feel like re-entering 100+ contacts. Maybe I'll just load the address book and nothing else this time.

NJBlackBerry
01-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Well, you don't hear an awful lot of people complaining that they have gone through 4 BBs. With trackball problems. Maybe you would consider trying a case or a pouch since obviously this pos can't keep up with you!

Sith_Apprentice
01-25-2008, 08:57 PM
if you keep destroying the devices you might want to look at another device, other than a blackberry that might fill your needs. Obviously the device cant handle the abuse, either induced by you, or not.

JaredH
01-25-2008, 09:07 PM
hah I didn't really know you guys were so protective over blackberrys like they were your own children.

I'll never talk bad about a black berry every again, I promise.(n)

NJBlackBerry
01-25-2008, 09:09 PM
We don't really care, but you came on here and ranted about your problems with breaking BlackBerrys and apparently didn't get the response you wanted!

Sith_Apprentice
01-25-2008, 09:14 PM
it is a suggestion. You have to be going through a great amount of hardship to replace these devices correct? If you keep having issues you might want to look into another device. I love my blackberry, but if i kept having issues where my phone would cease to work i would definately have to look at something new. (n)

JaredH
01-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Just sharing my experiences.

JaredH
01-25-2008, 09:19 PM
it is a suggestion. You have to be going through a great amount of hardship to replace these devices correct? (n)

ha-ha! Yup, hardship.

DaBlackberryBoy
01-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Give JaredH a break folks, if it were you, we would see you all ranting and raving in here as well. I have had bad berries back to back to back, sometimes its not the end user, but the service provider - they dont like to send you "New" devices if they dont have to!

RobM
01-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Maybe its a software qlitch...maybe. Hard to believe that this has happened this many times

djm2
01-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Maybe its a software qlitch...maybe. Hard to believe that this has happened this many times

I was thinking the same. A selective restore of software might be a wise idea.

MasterStanf2k
01-26-2008, 04:58 PM
This is typical of treos.. not blackberrys... stop beating your phone up :)

MJ23FE
01-27-2008, 11:12 AM
I've had this same exact experience, and it upsets me to see people so quick to blame the user. The same exact issues have arised in each 8830 I've had. I'm on my fourth phone (all brand new replacements), and all have had the same problems described in the thread starters original post.

I've had this latest phone for about 3 or 4 months now, and it's not possessed anymore, I don't know why. The only issue I have now is that every time i receive a text/e-mail or set my alarm, it just vibrates. I've check all the options and changed profiles, etc, but nothing seems to work. I deal with it now. It's been such a hassle trying to get these things replaced, I just don't want to deal with it anymore. I'm hoping that spring has a Curve on the way so I can replace my 8830 with that. When it works, I LOVE IT. When it acts cooky and retarded, I want to smash it against the ground.

-Jalal

Seawolf
01-27-2008, 12:23 PM
hah I didn't really know you guys were so protective over blackberrys like they were your own children.

I'll never talk bad about a black berry every again, I promise.(n)

hah normal users don't break a phone every 1.5 months, so i guess we'll just say you're a saint and are perfect and never say anything to the contrary again (n)

SheepDog
01-27-2008, 07:48 PM
My brother in law went thru 12 BB's in about a year. but then he is a sheriffs deputy and is rough and tumble. And once or twice he ended up in the lake or a pool with it on! (taking down a perp no doubt)

Sprint puts up with him rather well. 12 devices so far. He keeps getting another BB too!

martinh
02-14-2008, 11:33 AM
I've had the same problem with 3 blackerrys (8820*2, 8830)- the keys stop working after 3-4 months. They are kept in their holster 99% of the time, and it's definitely not a mechanical problem. Reloading the applications, updating the s/w etc has no effect. Since they are under warranty I just return them because ATT & RIM support have never heard of this problem.

My 2 month old 8830 started having the usual intermittent tracker ball freeze, or single click turning into a double click.

The fix that's working for me is to remove the battery, and leave it out over night.

JSanders
02-14-2008, 11:40 AM
martinh, Welcome to the BBF.

Sometimes these devices do get a hardware glitch. It does happen.

The trackball freeze (not wanting to move in one direction or another) is routinely an issue of dust, lint or trash in the trackball housing. The RIM-recommended way to deal with that is to firmly press and roll the trackball in the direction in which it does not want to go. Normally that will clear it. A little forced air from a can helps too.

I've never really heard of the double-click... what is that?

martinh
02-14-2008, 07:54 PM
JSanders

I've never really heard of the double-click... what is that?

You do a single click, and the device receives two (or more) clicks. For example you click the tracker ball to open an email, and end up replying to it. Another permutation is the slow click - you click, nothing happens, then a few seconds later the click is handled.

For me these have been the first signs of an impending freeze up.

Rubicant
02-18-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm on my 6th device in under a year with Verizon. I've had 4 8703Es a VX6800 and now the 8830.

The 8703Es were randomly wierding out with odd hardware and software glitches. One said it had full 1XEV signal for 5 full minutes...After I had turned the radio off AND rebooted it. The radio was still off and the device said I had full signal.

I own 9 Blackberries of various GSM carriers and have put them through hell...none of them have failed on me except this 8703E...which I have had replaced 4 times in under a year. I addressed the issue with VZW and they gave me a good deal on a 8830. I'm impressed with it so far.

muck
08-06-2008, 02:38 AM
my 8820 keyboard finally gave up the ghost. and i had all but given up trying to find a local repairer here in melbourne. i cannot believe its so hard to find a repairer, that to touch my imported 8820 :(

anyway. ive been using my curve for the last month. i decided to sit down and pull it apart. it was a lot easier than i imagined. the pcb is stuck to the chassis with double sided tape. tear it off, undo the connector. google 8800 pcb membranes, one thing leads me to ebay. and bam $10 to replace.

im stoked right now. :) cant wait to actually start using my 8820 again. goodbye to all that dust behind the screen, and tiny keys

sloopercat
08-06-2008, 11:23 AM
I don't do anything aggressive with it, it sits in my pocket
:idea:
If it sits in your pocket, it could be why you are having repeated trackball and keyboard issues.

cinnamincandie
08-06-2008, 11:33 AM
all i can say is wow