PDA

View Full Version : Verizon 8830, software V4.3, and VZ Navigator

bluesman
01-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Now I'm really confused. The Verizon wireless site says the 8830 can do VZNavigator. It also lists 4.3 as available, but there's no download link or information for either one. I called Verizon wireless twice. The first woman told me there is no such thing as v4.3 software and that I'd misread the site. The second one told me I should download it from Blackberry's web site and that I could then get VZ Navigator. Does anybody know what's really true about either of these?

Sith_Apprentice
01-24-2008, 10:53 PM
8830 does Vznav no problems. I forget the download link but it IS available. As to 4.3 it doesnt have it that is why you cant find a download link.

JaredH
01-24-2008, 11:38 PM
I actually was just on the phone replacing my current 8830 due to issues but he said he was going to try updating my OS. I told him that I already had the newest one, 4.2.2.176. He told me I was mistaken and that version 4.3 was out for the device.

He had forgotten to give me a OS upgrade and just did a whipe and then put a note on the account to replace it so I never got around to find out how to DL it.

They do have a new version out for vzw customers though.

ps, 8830 does vznav with 4.2.2.176 which is the current OS aside from the BRAND NEW OS, 4.3.

You can download 4.2.2.176 off vzw website. Than, from your browsers I believe it is; you need to get the original home screen and you'll be able to DL vznav right from the hand held. Google it if you cant find out the website. I've forgotten.

bremere
01-25-2008, 09:59 AM
BlackBerry® Software Updates (http://www.vzam.net/blackberry)

Demon
01-25-2008, 10:09 AM
You should be able to download VZ Nav through the browser on your 8830. On the home screen there is a link to download it to the device.

Sith_Apprentice
01-25-2008, 10:28 AM
I actually was just on the phone replacing my current 8830 due to issues but he said he was going to try updating my OS. I told him that I already had the newest one, 4.2.2.176. He told me I was mistaken and that version 4.3 was out for the device.

He had forgotten to give me a OS upgrade and just did a whipe and then put a note on the account to replace it so I never got around to find out how to DL it.

They do have a new version out for vzw customers though.

ps, 8830 does vznav with 4.2.2.176 which is the current OS aside from the BRAND NEW OS, 4.3.

You can download 4.2.2.176 off vzw website. Than, from your browsers I believe it is; you need to get the original home screen and you'll be able to DL vznav right from the hand held. Google it if you cant find out the website. I've forgotten.

Unless I am very much mistaken, 4.3 does not exist for any device other than the 8120 and 8130 series. He is referring *i guess* to the 4.3 for the 8130, NOT the 8830. Even their website has 4.2 as the latest device software. Also, the latest OS is http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/106817-latest-8830-os-4-2-2-339-4-2-2-176-3-0-0-79-aliant-mobility.html and doesnt necessarily have to be a VZW OS

jsntrenkler
01-25-2008, 10:49 AM
I agree ... No 4.3 for the 8830 yet ... But gosh I hope it is soon!

bluesman
01-25-2008, 04:04 PM
It's even mentioned on the VZW site if you click "more information" about system requirements in the lower right corner of the BB support page (BlackBerryâ„¢ System Requirements (http://www.vzam.net/blackberry/requirements.aspx)) . The default choice is now 4.3 - but there's not yet a link to download it on the VZW site.

I called VZW and was told that I could use the download from BB for my VZW 8830. I specifically asked her to check with tech, which she claims she did after I was on hold for a few minutes. She told me that VZW tech support says it's fine. But I think I'll wait for a download from VZW to be safe - it's amazing how screwed up things can get from a single glitch.

Sith_Apprentice
01-25-2008, 04:07 PM
that is Desktop software not device software

Please select your desktop software version Software v4.3 Software v4.2 SP2 Software v4.2 SP1 Software v4.2 Software v4.1 SP1 Software v4.1 Software v4.0 SP1 Software v4.0

To run BlackBerry® Desktop Software v4.3, you’ll need the following:
An Internet/email-enabled computer
One available USB or serial port
The Microsoft® Windows® Operating System in one of these versions:
With a USB port: Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista™ including x64 bit support
With a serial port: Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista
Optional Bluetooth® connection on computer with Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher: See knowledge base article KB-04132 for a complete list of Bluetooth transceivers that are supported in Windows XP Service Pack 2

This is the software installed on the PC, not the Blackberry Device. Also, this is a release for anyone, not just VZW customers

bluesman
01-25-2008, 06:11 PM
that is Desktop software not device software

There is apparently a new media editor (from Roxio?) with 4.3 that will enable more aggressive equalization of the MP3s for ringtones. This is reported to make them louder - and we all know how pathetic the ringer is on the 8830. If I don't find a better way to alert myself to calls when I can't wear a Bluetooth earpiece, I'm going to go nuts. I miss 50% of my calls because of the anemic ringer and vibrator.

Sith_Apprentice
01-25-2008, 06:13 PM
you can use the DM 4.3. Just be aware there are many on the forums that have experienced issues with this particular version.

RadioDude
01-25-2008, 08:51 PM
you can use the DM 4.3. Just be aware there are many on the forums that have experienced issues with this particular version.

I just put it on my computer and went thru everything just fine,what kind of problems have you seen reported.

holen14fun
02-07-2008, 02:34 AM
BlackBerry OS v4.5 (formerly OS v4.3) Update Details!! | CrackBerry.com (http://crackberry.com/blackberry-operating-system-v4-5-formerly-4-3-1-update-details)

penguin3107
02-07-2008, 06:57 AM
BlackBerry OS v4.5 (formerly OS v4.3) Update Details!! | CrackBerry.com (http://crackberry.com/blackberry-operating-system-v4-5-formerly-4-3-1-update-details)

Old News.
Bad choice of sources to link to.
Already posted here about 50 times.
I think you need a do-over for your first post.

Welcome to the forum!

kjjb0204
02-07-2008, 08:50 AM
There is apparently a new media editor (from Roxio?) with 4.3 that will enable more aggressive equalization of the MP3s for ringtones. This is reported to make them louder - and we all know how pathetic the ringer is on the 8830. If I don't find a better way to alert myself to calls when I can't wear a Bluetooth earpiece, I'm going to go nuts. I miss 50% of my calls because of the anemic ringer and vibrator.

I used the media manager in the 4.3 desktop software to increase the volume of a couple of classic ringers, and now the volume is just fine. It's almost to the point of being distorted though because ringers seem to only come from one speaker, where the bb media player uses both. If the ringer used both, I wouldn't have to make it as loud in the software.

Dawg
02-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Old News.
Bad choice of sources to link to.
Already posted here about 50 times.
I think you need a do-over for your first post.

Welcome to the forum!

Not to mention wrong section.