PDA

View Full Version : BB device lock

zeroman
01-28-2008, 09:05 AM
So i managed to put a lock on my BB8800. I know my password but i figured it would be great to have encase it's ever stolen, lost, or misplaced. Well While I'm driving i have to key in the password and that is a bit of a hazard for me as i am not used to the keyboard yet.

How do i take this off?

jeremyckitching
01-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

To disable the password you go to Options > Security Options > General Settings and set the Password setting to Disabled.

And there is only one step required to be safer on the road: don't use your BlackBerry while driving! :-)

zeroman
01-28-2008, 10:13 AM
It locks me out of this, theres a little pad lock on this option and it will not allow me to disable this option. More help?

jeremyckitching
01-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Seems like there is an IT policy in place on your device. Is your device connected to your work email? If so, then there is more than likely a rule enabled forcing you to use a password. There isn't a way to disable this unless they make an exception for you.

zeroman
01-28-2008, 10:25 AM
no emails are on this phone, its a used second hand phone, will unlocking it do any help? I bought it from Rogers, it was wiped clean and the password they said had be set to get into the device as "blackberry" none the less its changed but its a hassle every time to use it.

jeremyckitching
01-28-2008, 10:27 AM
It almost sounds as though the previous owner had an IT policy on it (they may have used it for work; the IT policy will still reside on it).

Below is a link that describes how to remove an IT policy from the phone. That should open up that option for you. Other options (like disabling the firewall) may still be locked:

Remove IT Policy - BlackBerryFAQ.com (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Remove_IT_Policy)

zeroman
01-28-2008, 10:39 AM
thank you i think i have done it, I did the whole backup thing after with the file and registry edit. It allowed me to install a theme and an application. Which before it didn't.