PDA

View Full Version : Failed unlock of a Rogers 8800...any further options?

P1x44r
01-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Rogers 8800 on eBay. The seller claims that the phone is brand new, but locked to Rogers. After receiving it I tried using gsmphonesource.com services to unlock it and ended up receiving a refund earlier today. No explanation of any sort was given, but I assume that the code for my IMEI could not be found.

I went to a local shop today where I was told that the only other option would be to try looking up the code against international data source(pardon my general lack of knowledge here). Supposedly this might take up to 15 business days to come back.

What I'm wondering is whether my chances for success are high and if someone had similar experience. Perhaps you could advise me what to do with this phone. It is a dud that I should sell back on eBay or is there something else I could possibly try(provided the international unlock fails, which according to the guys at the store is likely to happen)?

If it matters any, I'm currently with Fido and would like to use this BB with my City Fido plan.

Thank you very much!

John Clark
01-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Check with BBF member ShapelessBB. He has a cell phone repair store and also unlocks devices. You can send him a PM here or go to his store:

HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, Canada’s Cellular Repair Center (http://www.horizonwirelessonline.com)

P1x44r
01-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Thank you very much, I just sent him a PM.

:)

Massonite
01-28-2008, 08:06 PM
There is also GlobalUnlock.com. They are very reasonably priced and the service is fantastic. I haven't had a Blackberry unlocked, but the Motorola phones I had unlocked worked without a hitch.

Here is a link to the Rogers 8800 unlock pricing. They want $49
Global Unlock (http://www.globalunlock.com/products.php?productId=3068)

Hope it helps!

P1x44r
01-28-2008, 08:30 PM
I was under impression that all those unlocking services online use the same database. Am I wrong?

Could it really be that I fail using one yet succeed with another one of these websites?

Thank you.

Massonite
01-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Well it never hurts to try. I've had good luck with this guy so far. I'm not sure if they use the same database or not, but this guy is very helpful and quick and I recommend him to anyone.

P1x44r
01-28-2008, 08:39 PM
I will definitely keep this website in mind. Thank you for help! :)

Horizon Wireless
01-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks JC :-) Hey P1x44r. I replied to you by PM. And no, i dont believe everyone uses the same database. I can think of quite a few occasions where clients told me they tried getting codes elsewhere and they came back not found.

zeroman
01-28-2008, 10:00 PM
The unlocking solutions on Motorola phones are very very easy. Software, hardware, and unlock codes by IDEM or what ever its called are whats easy. Never looked into much about blackberry unlocking or even modding but Motorola phones are piece of cake, never pay for an unlock for a Moto. Do it your self.

Massonite
01-29-2008, 02:20 AM
The unlocking solutions on Motorola phones are very very easy. Software, hardware, and unlock codes by IDEM or what ever its called are whats easy. Never looked into much about blackberry unlocking or even modding but Motorola phones are piece of cake, never pay for an unlock for a Moto. Do it your self.
Is that so? Perhaps you could educate me :)

zeroman
01-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Is that so? Perhaps you could educate me :)

what would you like to know? If you'd like to learn PM me your PIN and I'll talk to you over that.

takeshi
01-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Never looked into much about blackberry unlocking or even modding but Motorola phones are piece of cake
Definitely not a piece of cake with BB's or we'd have the info in the FAQ.

zeroman
01-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Its probably easy, you just need to find out and get the tools to do it. Plus it should be against this board's rules to talk about unlocking methods other than services for pay. At least thats how it goes over at howardfourm none the less I'll learn it lol.

rambo47
01-29-2008, 11:30 AM
I recall reading somewhere that Rogers was no longer providing unlock codes, so anyone who relied on their data base was out of luck. I don't know if this includes customers who have accounts in good standing and request the code themselves, but it might. Or you might have to be in their data base as having bought that exact BB from them to begin with.

JSanders
01-29-2008, 10:37 PM
We don't censor you here, until it becomes illegal, immoral or fattening.