PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry - BES -Outlook sync question

BB_HIT
01-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Hello... I have a question regarding my BES server and my blackberry. When I receive and e-mail in my MS Outlook it is also received on my BB (duh). Whenever I move my incoming e-mail in Outlook to a personal folder on my local PC, the e-mail stays on my Blackberry. Is there a setting that will reconcile the 2 together so that when I move an e-mail from my outlook to a local/personal folder it is then removed from my BB as well??? Your help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BB_HIT
01-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Please Help Me With This Issue.... Does Anyone Have Any Ideas???

Andi
01-30-2008, 12:48 PM
The BES can't see the .pst file that is outside of outlook.

I'm not sure but does the mail icon on the blackberry look like a file folder instead of an envelope after the move? If so - go into mail options and change hide filed messages to yes

takeshi
01-31-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure if this will work if your email is getting delivered to a PST but make sure that you have delete on both server and handheld enabled and wireless reconcile turned on.

Gouki
01-31-2008, 12:34 PM
One alternative would be to create a sub-folder underneath your inbox (not in a PST) and then within Desktop Manager you can specify which folders will show up on your BB. Then in your messages, you can click the scroll wheel (or full menu button depending on what BB you have), choose view folders and you should be able to expand out and see the sub-folders you just created.

Hope that helps...

BB_HIT
01-31-2008, 12:38 PM
i have both reconcile on and handheld + mailbox option on. mail hits the inobx in outlook and the bes to blackberry. I file the message in a personal folder on my local pc which takes it off the bes right? message stays on blackberry despite a restart, a reconcile now, anything... ANY IDEAS???

George1
01-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Let me start off with saying that this is normal behavior. Normal as in there is nothing wrong with your setup or hardware, but not as in this is a "good feature" in my eyes.

The bottom line is, when you move a message out of your active mailbox to a destination that the BES server has no control over (or cannot see), then the message will stay on the handset.

Examples are (one you already mentioned) when you move a message to a PST file on your PC. BES is on the Exchange server and the PST is on your PC. BES can see that the message was moved, but does not know where and I guess it takes the save option of leaving it untouched.

Same if you move a message into a public folder.

Or if you permanently delete a message (but hitting Shift+delete). The message is deleted from the Exchange server but not moved into the delete folder - BES loses kind of track of it and again leaves the message untouched.

The way how I handle this problem is that when I move a message out of my mailbox, I actually copy it (I hold the Ctrl key while dragging the message into the new location or you can also drag it with the right mouse key). Once it is copied, I delete the message from my mailbox - and that then also removes it from the BB.

I find that behaviour with leaving messages untouched that were moved to "unknown" destinations quite a nuisance btw. It causes a lot of issues with our users calling the help desk claiming that the synchronisation does not work ...

Hope this all helps.

Edit: Typos

takeshi
02-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Oops -- George is right. Email moved into a PST cannot be reconciled. Also, if email is permanently deleted before BES can reconcile then it won't be reconciled either.

I'd suggest moving email into subfolders in your mailbox and setting up autoarchive to move to your PST on a regular basis.

Strozak
04-09-2008, 08:25 AM
You can resolve this by enabling hard deletes on your BES if you have 4.1.2 or higher. I did it for my corporation and it worked great. Essentially what is happening is any message that is moved out of your exchange mailbox is treated as a "hard delete" in that the message disappears from Exchange. As the blackberry doesnt know where the message went it stays in your inbox. By enabling the hard delete option on your BES it treats those messages as deleted and removes them from your blackberry. This also works for anything that you shift-delete in outlook. Its a great feature!!

George1
04-10-2008, 01:54 AM
Excellent. Where in the BES can I find that setting?

kd78728
06-04-2008, 04:52 PM
You guys are right in that you cannot synch the device to an external PST file, but you can have the device "hide" emails that have been moved out of the inbox, for example. To make this change, on the device itself goto Messaging, Options, General Options, and set "Hide Filed Messages" to YES. After this change, when you move a message out of the Inbox it's removed from the device's inbox.

I'm using the Blackberry Professional Server as opposed to the larger BES package, so the GUI might be different. but for me, the "hard delete" setting is under "Server Properties" and then under Messaging, the setting is named "Hard Deletes Reconcilliation"

Funny, I came here looking for answers to another issue! LOL

milomak
07-28-2008, 06:12 AM
This has been doing my head in for some time. Thanks George for that explanation. So I guess in the absence of the admins enabling the "hard delete" option, I guess shift-delete will stop and enabling "Hide Filed Messages".

gaumish
09-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks to you both! I am a new user and I was thinking I had some kind of a setup issue b'coz of this.

Cheers...