PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

angel_benet
02-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Been lurking around these boards for a while, very informative site!

Got a few questions though (keep in mind I'm on BIS with a data plan, but not unlimited):

1. I see that there's an option to delete the default @<hidden> email add I initially created on my BIS site. If I delete it, will I be able to use that same exact user name again if I re-register it?

2. In the e-mail settings, I set "Auto More" to "No". I don't have an unlimited data plan from where I live. Someone told me that with this setting in place, I am only getting the first 2KB of the e-mail, with the option to retrieve the rest after. Is this true?

3. I get a lot of attachments but never open them up. Am I getting data usage just by receiving these attachments? Or do I use up data if I only if I open the attachments?

Need help with these answers since my carrier shows that I used 20MB of data last month. I never opened attachments, receive an average of 10 or less e-mails per day, never browse the web, and used YM and BB messenger just a couple of times (and I never leave myself online on YM 24/7)

Inputs would be GREATLY appreciated.

JSanders
02-01-2008, 12:49 AM
1. I believe you will be able to do so. You can keep that address if you want, just set a filter on it at the BIS to not forward any messages to your handheld device.
2. Correct. Even with auto more set to yes, you only get the first 2kb until the BB calls for more.
3. No. no data usage until downloaded.

Good luck. AND welcome to the BB Forums.

angel_benet
02-01-2008, 12:56 AM
1. I believe you will be able to do so. You can keep that address if you want, just set a filter on it at the BIS to not forward any messages to your handheld device.
2. Correct. Even with auto more set to yes, you only get the first 2kb until the BB calls for more.
3. No. no data usage until downloaded.

Good luck. AND welcome to the BB Forums.

Thanks for the quick response!

So I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how I raked up 20,000KB last month. The previous month it was just 2,000KB which seemed normal.

The only different thing I did last month was to upgrade my Curve's OS via Desktop Manager software. Does that use up data in any way, like download applications and such?

Still waiting for my carrier to call me with a breakdown of my data usage.

Dubdub
02-01-2008, 08:24 AM
One note on the carrier supplied email address. I don't recommend using it at all. It is totally unfiltered and you could set yourself up for lots of SPAM.

Also, you do not own or control the address, so it could go away or get changed at any time. And you cannot take it with you when and if you switch carriers.

And finally, the only way to see the email from that address is on the BB itself. No web viewer or alternate way to get it. So if there is a BB outage, you would have to wait until the network is back up and hope the mail is still there.

angel_benet
02-02-2008, 05:51 PM
thanks for the advice on the BB supplied e-mail. i have a gmail account setup just in case, but so far i've had no problems at all.

except for last month, as i mentioned, when my carrier claims i used up 20,000KB of data when all i did was basic e-mail without even opening a single attachment and like i mentioned, i'd only receive an average of 10 e-mail messages per day.

JSanders
02-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (8800: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

No browser, gps, maps, etc being used?

angel_benet
02-02-2008, 06:10 PM
here's a summary of what i did last month:

10 email messages per day (mail setting set to Auto More: NO, attachments were never opened)

Yahoo! Messenger used about 20 times (and I'd sign out after each session, was never logged in the entire time)

Opened one wapsite with Opera Mini, looking at my carrier's bill, it appeared as a separate item under "Internet Browsing" - 19KB

Played with Google Maps ONCE- i stopped when i saw that the counter had registered 52KB

The previous month, I used up 2,828KB which makes more sense, but 20,000KB for last month for the above usage?

oh, one other thing i did different last month was to upgrade my BB Curve's OS using Desktop Manager, but I doubt that uses up any data from my carrier at all, unless there's something I missed.

my carrier has not been very cooperative and i've made countless phone calls, and i feel helpless. how i wish we had unlimited data plans!