PDA

View Full Version : google web browsing reformatting

theBorg
02-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (7100t: BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

What's the deal with a google server being an intermediary (proxy server it seems) to surfing the web from BB browser? I don't know how it gets turned on. It "reformats for mobile phone" and has a trailer at the bottom of the page.

When I did "switch to HTML view" the forum's WAP site got 10x more usable. It had been missing the "post new topic" link.

How does this get enabled? What the hell is happening? Why does it remove important content?

Thanks, google, but RIM's browser does just fine, better in fact, on its own.

aiharkness
02-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Don't know if you are looking at same thing I am, but if I point my bb browswer to Google (http://www.google.com) I'm redirected to mobile page. Near the bottom is a settings link. On settings page there is an option to "Format web pages for your phone." I don't know what the default is, or whether the proxy is there to some degree regardless of whether you select yes or no, but you could experiment (assuming this is what you are talking about).

theBorg
02-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (7100t: BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

That's it, ai.

I think google is hijacking the link since I'm linking via gmail. What happened to "don't be evil"? Garbage.