PDA

View Full Version : MicroSD question

Joemero
02-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I recently purchased and installed a 4GB Sandisk MicroSD on my Sprint 8830. Can I use the card to hold all of my contacts and calendar info, or how exactly am I benefitting from all that memory? Is it used soley for music, ringtones & videos? How many contacts & calendar items can I hold in the base of memory of my BB?

Thanks,
Joe

penguin3107
02-04-2008, 10:33 AM
It's only for media.
You can't store your PIM data or email messages on the card.

You can store tens of thousands of contacts and/or calendar entries in device memory.

Joemero
02-04-2008, 10:50 AM
So how often is it recommended to erase email messages in order to clear up memory?

penguin3107
02-04-2008, 10:55 AM
So how often is it recommended to erase email messages in order to clear up memory?

There isn't a recommendation for this.
I have users with THOUSANDS of messages on their devices.
They typically take up very little space.

Apps, Themes, Ringtones, etc... Those take up space when stored in device memory.
Delete unused ones if you're running low on memory.

x14
02-04-2008, 01:28 PM

Take a look at How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ.com (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_free_up_memory_on_my_device%3F)

fibertech
02-04-2008, 04:15 PM
I am trying to install an SD in my 8830. The phone will not recognize the existence of the card. I've tried 3 different cards of different capacities. What's going on?

steakman
02-04-2008, 07:58 PM
2Gb microSD from Kingston works like a charm. At least it is enough to keep a cpl of pics from the family & 250+ songs for use when flying..tis all i need.

As for time messages are kept on the BB, i am not 100% sure on this, but believe that it was our IT guys administrating the BES that set ours at 21 days. After which they are deleted from the BB. However they remain indefinitely on Lotus Notes until cleared and DVD'd as an archive.

..actually, I'm glad it is only 21 days. A guy could wear out a trackball if they went for a year or so..!!:?

cheers,

stk

ULTRON
02-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi,

Is is possible to store software applications on the SD card? I own the BB 8820, and there is a very nice medical dictionary worth 20Mb.....is it possible to transfer this to the SD card?

thanks

ULTRON

:bb:

rambo47
02-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Hi,

Is is possible to store software applications on the SD card? I own the BB 8820, and there is a very nice medical dictionary worth 20Mb.....is it possible to transfer this to the SD card?

thanks

ULTRON

:bb:
You can't store programs on the card. Only in device memory. A future OS release may include the ability to store more that just media files on the card, but for now it must be in the device memory.

JSanders
02-07-2008, 05:26 PM
There is one of the med dictionaries that can store on the Media Card, I read a user here the other day mentioned they were able to store theirs on the Card.

Let me see...

EDIT: here's the link to the thread, not much info, but you can check it out for yourself. Pepid is the name.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/112297-programs-using-microsd-memory.html#post794059

Good luck.

ULTRON
02-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks everyone. I just bought my BB8820 this past Monday, and am still figuring out some stuff about this thing.

ULTRON

ULTRON
02-10-2008, 01:42 AM
Good news everyone. It seems there are certain programs that allow you to store stuff on the SD card. I downloaded a HUGE program called clinical rotations companion (over 25MB) right on my SD card. See PEPID Medical Information Services for PDA, Pocket PC, Mobile Wireless & Online Use (http://www.pepid.com)

penguin3107
02-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Good news everyone. It seems there are certain programs that allow you to store stuff on the SD card. I downloaded a HUGE program called clinical rotations companion (over 25MB) right on my SD card. See PEPID Medical Information Services for PDA, Pocket PC, Mobile Wireless & Online Use (http://www.pepid.com)

Didn't JSanders recommend this software to you a few days ago, in this thread?

JSanders
02-10-2008, 09:33 AM
:? :?

ULTRON
02-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Oh, sorry, thank you JSanders! Man, I've joined so many forums and read so many posts and looked through so many programs that I'm confused about who said what! :-)

ULTRON